Queen Mary New York to Southampton

Minnie29

Booked our first transatlantic in Queen Mary from New York to Southampton in October 2024.

will be flying to Orlando mid September and then internal flight to New York ready for the cruise home.

Can anyone advise me on long stay carparking at Southampton please? Is it possible to book with CPS for approx 4 weeks or would it be a better option to book a hotel with car parking package?

We would then get a taxi transfer from the hotel to Heathrow and pick up the car on our return when we disembark QUeen Mary.

Assuming your crossing departs Brooklyn on 4 October [and heads to Newport RI & Boston before Southampton] there is a roll call thread at 

I've noticed that Cunard's page for the crossing has been updated to indicate it is the English National Symphony Orchestra crossing 

I'd just call CPS and ask them about longer term parking, then call the surrounding hotels and compare.

Tips - regardless of their dress code, bring your dinner jacket.  Wife and I will be there in the Queens Grill and we plan to dress nice the whole cruise.

Explore the ship, it's quirky and fun to explore.  Be sure to try the fish 'n chips in the Golden Lion and the afternoon tea in the Queen's Room.

And of course the symphony, my wife nearly swooned when I told her orchestra would be performing.

Edited by ratflinger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ratflinger said:

Any idea on the performance schedule?

There are usually two evening performances - an American night [featuring composers like Gershwin] and the 'Last Night of the Proms' [featuring composers like Elgar]. The Captain may be invited to the podium to conduct a well known tune 😉 

The Passenger chorus has an audition and several rehearsals - and is on stage for the 'Last Night of the Proms'. [I sing Bass - so I am usually in the back row on the right hand side]

There is usually one afternoon performance, where the NSO is joined by the Royal Court & Queen's Room performers.

You may also see NSO members sitting in with the ship's musicians in the lobby or on the lounges.

Anthony Inglis also has an 'insights' lecture spot one afternoon - typically in the Royal Court, and very well attended.

1 hour ago, Minnie29 said:

Would love to hear some tips as this will be our first transatlantic 

There should be lots of tips on this board - I'll add a few more.

There is a walking tour [with audio guide] available to acquaint you with some of the art installations. I think the morning of the first sea day there may be a guided group tour [with the Newport and Boston stops added this may be changed] Check your daily program for details.

A 'behind the scenes' tour is sometimes offered - not advertised and it sells out quickly.

The Golden Lion pub lunch may get to the stage of 'no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded' - sometimes it is difficult to get a seat for lunch. 

Spa prices are on a sliding scale per day - e.g. a 3 day pass will cost less than two one day passes. The days need no be consecutive [we will by a 6 day pass and use it a day at a time]. Spa upsells can be fairly aggressive - but so far we have ignored them.

My carry on is typically full of wine bottles padded with socks. We will bring a bottle or two for dining room consumption [$25 corkage - even for a magnum bottle], but most are for in cabin. 

3 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Would love to hear some tips as this will be our first transatlantic 

On the first day, ask if there is a wine tasting offered for the TA. If you’re interested, sign up immediately and use some OBC on that. 

• Like 1

Ditto NE John above regarding wine tastings. They sometimes won’t schedule it if they don’t hear enough interest. If you mention you are interested they will ask others if they are interested and the tasting may happen. Happened to us on a TA December 2022.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

Will we need tickets for the National Symphony Orchestra performances?

No tickets for any onboard performance [the Royal Court may be standing room only - don't know if the early seating show is more or less popular than the late seating show]

Tickets [free] are needed for planetarium shows in the small 'Illuminations' theatre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1