Size of dessert portions

lenquixote66

When I was on my first cruise in 1973 if I ordered pie or cake for dessert it was always a large size. People could request seconds or thirds without a problem.On my last cruise the portions were so small that I could barely see them.

I try not to overeat but the size was ridiculous.

I notice that in the dining room, one dessert is a normal, and sufficient, size.  In the buffet, they are smaller, which is good, because if I can see them, I'm going to want to try different ones.

Oh - anyone remember when all the MDR desserts would be displayed on a rolling cart, so we could see in advance what a "daquoise" or other exotic item was?

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I notice that in the dining room, one dessert is a normal, and sufficient, size.  In the buffet, they are smaller, which is good, because if I can see them, I'm going to want to try different ones.

Oh - anyone remember when all the MDR desserts would be displayed on a rolling cart, so we could see in advance what a "daquoise" or other exotic item was?

Yes,I remember that.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I was on my first cruise in 1973 if I ordered pie or cake for dessert it was always a large size. People could request seconds or thirds without a problem.On my last cruise the portions were so small that I could barely see them.

I try not to overeat but the size was ridiculous.

Many cruisers have eyes that are larger than their stomachs.

They take huge portions of food and then eat only half.

On a 2,000 passenger ship, that left-over food amounts to about 2 tons per day.

The ship dumps it all into the ocean. Is this really a good idea?

There are currently over 320 cruise ships in the world - many larger than 2,000 passengers - and producing much more than 2 tons of left-over food every day.

They are ALL dumping ALL that left-over food into the ocean every day of the year.

Since most food served on cruise ships is included in the fare, and passengers can have as many portions or meals as they like, doesn't it make sense to have smaller portions, producing less waste, creating less pollution in the oceans, and lower cost for cruise ships to operate? On most cruise ships, you are still able to order as many desserts or steaks or anything else you would like to eat. Nobody starves on a cruise ship. The food savings from smaller portions could also translate into your cruise fares staying lower for longer periods of time, as less food needs to be purchased, stored, prepared, and then thrown away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BruceMuzz said:

Information source, please. 

If I've done my maths correctly, two American tons would equate to about 1800 kilos. That, divided by the 2k passengers gives a daily per capita waste of 0.9 kilos. Seems an awful lot, bearing in mind by no means everyone will put great quantities of food on the plate. And, for many of those who do, they will eat it. 

Presumably, within that 2 tons, there will be waste from crew meals and there's bound to be some over production of dishes that don't get served and become waste. But, even so, nearly a kilo of food leftovers seems to me a surprising amount.  

4 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Many cruisers have eyes that are larger than their stomachs.

They take huge portions of food and then eat only half.

The ship dumps it all into the ocean. Is this really a good idea?

There are currently over 320 cruise ships in the world - many larger than 2,000 passengers - and producing much more than 2 tons of left-over food every day.

They are ALL dumping ALL that left-over food into the ocean every day of the year.

Since most food served on cruise ships is included in the fare, and passengers can have as many portions or meals as they like, doesn't it make sense to have smaller portions, producing less waste, creating less pollution in the oceans, and lower cost for cruise ships to operate? On most cruise ships, you are still able to order as many desserts or steaks or anything else you would like to eat. Nobody starves on a cruise ship. The food savings from smaller portions could also translate into your cruise fares staying lower for longer periods of time, as less food needs to be purchased, stored, prepared, and then thrown away.

I was not aware that cruise ships were dumping food into the oceans .They should be heavily fined for doing that.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was not aware that cruise ships were dumping food into the oceans .They should be heavily fined for doing that.

You might want to contact your Government Representatives.

The US Government has authorized cruise ships to dump food waste into the oceans for more than one century.