Hey Bobbi, 

My daughter and I will be on this cruise as well.  It is our first TA.  There is a Roll Call for this group.

Looking forward to this cruise, we are in the process of moving and it is crazy.

We also just had our flight plans changed by the airline, Seems American is no longer providing non-stop service for our first leg from Birmingham to Chicago, now we are be rerouted though Miami.

15 hours ago, bobbismith said:

Hello all,

In October I am sailing on the Feeedom from Spain to Orlando.

What will it be like? Anyone want to share TA experience?

Bobbi

What will it be like, well, that depends, but, will pretty much be like any other cruise you've been on.

Weather and sea conditions can impact that the most. We've done 3 TA's...shoulda been 5. We had to cancel one, and Carnival canceled the 18 day Jubilee TA, we're really bummed about that, but is what it is.  Many, like my wife and I do TA's for the larger number of sea days per cruise. For us, the more the better. All 3 of our TA's originated in Barcelona Spain, terminating in Miami, New Orleans and New York. Our favorite cruise out of the 2 dozen+ cruises we've taken was the 16 day Sunshine TA back in 2013. We had great weather especially during the 6 day crossing, sea was like glass and temps were damn near perfect. Last TA we took was on the Vista. That one ported in NewYork so the more northern route brought some unsettled weather, but we still had a great time. 

Like i mentioned, TA will be pretty much like any other cruise. I believe the Freedom TA is a Journeys cruise, so you get the additional "bells and whistles" that come with that. Should be lots of activities on sea days if just relaxing out on deck gets to boring, or if the weather impacts that. 

Oh and the ports, certainly different ports than in the caribbean. I think our favorite port stop was in Gibraltar on the Vista TA, good bit of interesting info about the rock, and was pretty cool to stand up top and look out over the straits and peer into Africa. One of our traveling companions tried to talk us into trying to rent some sort of boat to take us across the straits to visit Casablanca. We had to nix that, thinking we'd more likely get stuck there than getting back to the ship. Similarly visiting the Canary Islands were cool...mostly for me again close to Africa and a spot I'd had never thought I'd travel too,.though not sure I'd ever though about visiting Africa, but did just that last month!

Anyway, this is dragging on. Enjoy your TA cruise!!

We sailed on a TA this past October/November on Celebrity Reflection out of Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. We enjoyed the ports, but then all the relaxing sea days were a bonus to the overall trip. The first part was multiple days of ports, but after that was over, there was time to relax on the ship. By the end of the voyage we had settled into a routine. Another benefit of the TA is that you really get to know the staff. We found that we'd recognize seeing each other on other parts of the ship outside of the normal places we tended to see them. You'll have great conversations with them and other fellow passengers as well. It started feeling like a small community by the end of the cruise. 

We have done dozens of crossings (on one right now) and there is simply no way of predicting weather/sea conditions more than a few days in advance.  In October you can have anything from warm days with smooth seas to huge swells with hurricane winds.  The cruise lines all pay a private service to advise on the best routings, and this usually helps avoid the worst weather.  

Hank

My best advice, is if you have the extra time, go to wherever your ship is sailing out of in Spain (I am assuming Barcelona) and stay at least 4-5 days.  Barcelona itself is wonderful, and there are numerous great day trips from there-Tarragona ( best Roman ruins in Spain), Girona, the Costa Brava coast, medieval villages, etc.  You can do this on your own by the train, or book day tours (which is what I did.)  Or if you have even more time, from Barcelona, go off and go to Madrid, or Portugal, or where by train, and then do your cruise.  The last week will be totally relaxing, so go see extra places you won't get to see on the cruise.  The problem with TA's is the ports are either on the coast, or you spend 2-3 hours on the bus one way driving there to see the sights, and then driving back, which makes for a long day.  I remember doing that to go see the Alhambra and the Alcazar-both totally worth it-but still a looong day. All three of my TAs had fabulous weather, but you never know. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 7:52 PM, bobbismith said:

Hello all,

In October I am sailing on the Feeedom from Spain to Orlando.

What will it be like? Anyone want to share TA experience?

Bobbi

It will be a bit different from other cruises.  You get to know your fellow pax better than you would on a Caribbean cruise.  If you are a people person you will enjoy those sea days and getting to know other pax and crew.  You will find that the mood onboard is more relaxed and congenial.  RCI Freedom Of The Seas is a great ship to do your first TA.  You will not get bored.  Freedom has a great activity level for those pax who want to participate and there are plenty of spaces for those who want to chill.  The weather should be mild 70’s and the seas on your southern route should be calm.  

13 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Have you join your rollcall ?
there will be people who only do TAs on RCL and will a lot of good info for you 

I think they are talking about the Carnival Freedom.  But yes, there is a roll call for the cruise.  This will be our first TA.

We also have done quite a few TAs and, as was said, you really cannot predict anything. Since you are doing a Southern route, the weather will be a bit balmier, especially as you get further south. But you simply cannot predict the seas. It is always best to have a warmer jacket, or sweatshirt, as evenings, while cruising, are a bit nippy.

Cheers

Len