Tipping

sarahjaneb

it does not matter  they have to turn them in 

If you do not remove the auto tips  then staff member will get the $ back

We usually give  the staff an envelope with  a note of thanks & cabin #  so the Purser can check  for auto tips

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We usually give  the staff an envelope with  a note of thanks & cabin #  so the Purser can check  for auto tips

Interesting. I did not know they had to turn them in. I’ve always tipped as I go along for exceptional service in addition to the auto tips. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sarahjaneb said:

Interesting. I did not know they had to turn them in. I’ve always tipped as I go along for exceptional service in addition to the auto tips. 

I have heard  they have to 

Those that remove the auto tip  & tip privately  that money goes into the POOL  to be shared

Once it is established you did not remove the auto tip they get the money back  that is why I put our cabin number on the envelope

Now whether the  staff member  turns  it in is another story

• Like 1

We have been told by a couple butlers and different staff that any money given directly to any employee remains with that employee. There is no pooling of tips except for standard gratuity.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We have been told by a couple butlers and different staff that any money given directly to any employee remains with that employee. There is no pooling of tips except for standard gratuity.

If true, that is good news indeed. Thank you. 

We are taking our first Oceania cruise this Fall. This issue of tipping seem to me an example of lack of transparency. Either tips are pooled, or they are not. Individuals who receive tips can either keep them or not. We as consumers can include the gratuity to our bill or not. 

Somewhere the facts need to be presented.

If someone really knows, please post it.

Thank you

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

We are taking our first Oceania cruise this Fall. This issue of tipping seem to me an example of lack of transparency. Either tips are pooled, or they are not. Individuals who receive tips can either keep them or not. We as consumers can include the gratuity to our bill or not. 

Thank you

If you want facts, ask Oceania.

If you want opinions, many of dubious value, you've come to the right place.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Thank you

The auto tips  are pooled

If you remove the auto tips  then anything you give the staff is supposed to be turned into the POOL

It is up to the staff to deal with the cash tips  so I would not worry about it 

JMO

• Thanks 1

For me, I like to give cash tips in addition to the gratuities we pay into the pool. And I think it would be nice to give the cash tip in the currency of where the ship is when disembark, if at all possible. That way, if the crew member is departing at that port, they have something in their pocket they can use at the airport, or shopping in port, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, halfapair said:

For me, I like to give cash tips in addition to the gratuities we pay into the pool. And I think it would be nice to give the cash tip in the currency of where the ship is when disembark, if at all possible. That way, if the crew member is departing at that port, they have something in their pocket they can use at the airport, or shopping in port, etc.

I mostly disagree. We give our tips either US dollars or Euros, most typically dollars that are easy to spend and/or convert as needed. I seriously doubt the crew really prefers your left over Argentinan , Turkish, or a host of other countries currency. Look at the beating they’d take disembarking in Miami with your left over Argentinan money!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, halfapair said:

57 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I mostly disagree. We give our tips either US dollars or Euros, most typically dollars that are easy to spend and/or convert as needed. I seriously doubt the crew really prefers your left over Argentinan , Turkish, or a host of other countries currency. Look at the beating they’d take disembarking in Miami with your left over Argentinan money!

But if disembarking in Miami, halfapair’s tips would be in $ per the post, not other foreign currency. So no beating after all.

We tip our Oceania room steward & attendant in dollars only.

Walking around the old town sections of Asuncion, Paraguay in April-May 2022 the ONE thing I couldn't miss were the lighted signs of the currency exchange stores on street corners and main streets listing the exchange rates if you bought or sold US dollars or Euros. (They also listed the currencies for Argentina and Brazil). Walked around to compare about 4 or 5 of them within easy walking distance to compare "rates". Walked into one I thought had the best (Cambios Norte on Palma) and turned $400 into Guarani 2,700,000. Took me about 10 minutes. Kept the exchange paperwork as a souvenir.

Pretty much every 2nd or 3rd world country around the world will make it rather easy to exchange dollars and euros.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

But if disembarking in Miami, halfapair’s tips would be in $ per the post, not other foreign currency. So no beating after all.

Just tip freely !

I read his reply as tipping in the currency when he disembarked. He’s not going to disembark in BA and have Peruvian money for the staff if they disembark there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Really? I cannot leave our wonderful cabin steward a little something extra?

I don't understand any of this. The automatic gratuity is a large amount, I give that freely.

To worry about what to leave on top of that is absurd. But of course to each his own.

No wonder the hefty automatic gratuities are now seen as not enough. Unless of course they are pulling the automatic ones.

I tip in Swiss francs (my home currency and far more solid than the Euro or the dollar) and also in Euros.  Dollars - only if I have been in the US before the cruise. (Otherwise I wouldn't have any).

Basically as long as you choose a respectable currency (maybe not Zimbabwe dollars!) the crew member has to convert them to her/his home currency anyway.  (Unless they have an external bank account...unlikely!)

Tips are welcome even if in USD!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I tip in Swiss francs (my home currency and far more solid than the Euro or the dollar) and also in Euros.  Dollars - only if I have been in the US before the cruise. (Otherwise I wouldn't have any).

Basically as long as you choose a respectable currency (maybe not Zimbabwe dollars!) the crew member has to convert them to her/his home currency anyway.  (Unless they have an external bank account...unlikely!)

Tips are welcome even if in USD!  

Thank you! My original question was regarding cash currency and what is most appreciated by the hard working staff so I appreciate your input.