Weather for 9 night Greek cruise leaving Oct 26, 2024

Nanny2020

Can someone who has been on a cruise out of Athens at the end of October please advise if we would run into problems with weather & places being closed since it's at the very end of the season? We are looking to book on Celebrity Infinity for next year and a bit worried that it is late in October. Thanks in advance for any advice!

October and November are pleasant generally weather wise though obviously chances of rain. We have a house in Cyprus and often go in November. Often sunbathe in the morning, afternoon showers. Cooler in the evenings. If during the day warm enough to sit out for lunch though we generally eat indoors in the restaurants in the evenings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Nanny2020 said:

Can someone who has been on a cruise out of Athens at the end of October please advise if we would run into problems with weather & places being closed since it's at the very end of the season? We are looking to book on Celebrity Infinity for next year and a bit worried that it is late in October. Thanks in advance for any advice!

We have cruised and enjoyed holidays in this region at this time of year and the weather is very mixed. You can have pleasant sunny days or torrents or rain and a strong wind…In our experience you would be very unlucky if you saw no sunshine but very lucky if you saw no rain…As rain is often accompanied by wind and the temperature is still warm you are much better with a light showerproof jacket or a $ poncho than an umbrella.

After saying this we do love the region at this time of year. Much less crowded and much less hot. Again in our experience the major attractions of each port will still be open, although, if I remember correctly some close earlier from the 1st November. I suggest you look on line at opening times for the places you want to visit. Also if you look at Celebrity excursions (even if you don’t intend booking them) it will give you some ideas…

The only thing we did find was some of the tourist shops and bars were either shut or shutting for the season. Never a problem as there were always plenty still open…

• Thanks 1

Thank you to the users who took the time to reply to my question. Wasn't looking for a crystal ball, and Google's weather data doesn't give me the insight that I received from other people. I've never been to Greece, but we are going in 2024! Raincoats vs umbrellas and looking at excursions for this year are great suggestions!  Thanks so much for the assistance. Not afraid of a bit of rain, but hearing from someone that has cruised there that time of year makes me feel less apprehensive about booking.

• Like 3

Also in the evenings we usually have a cardigan or shawl to wear. Also first thing in morning on an excursion you will most likely need an extra layer. Doesn’t generally get warm till around 10.30/11. 

October and November are my favourite times to go to Cyprus as it’s far more pleasant weather wise. 

I lived in Greece for 15 years - the tourist season ends mid to late September so much will be closed on the smaller islands. The weather can be a bit cold/wet - more so in the north (Ionian islands) Athens is busy all year as are the larger city's like Rhodes town, Chania etc on the islands. We had a house on Corfu for 10 years & I hated winters - damp/wet so we used to spend the winters in Goa or Spain but we love Greece. 

I did a Greek Isles/Croatia cruise last yr, departing Sept 25. 

The weather was dreadful !  Only 2 nice days out of 10, plus it was so stormy that Kotor was cancelled.  Sadly, Kotor was the port I was most looking forward to.  Very thankful that I packed a lightweight rain jacket and umbrella. I almost packed my rain poncho, since it doesn't take any space, but it would have been useless due to the wind.  The lousy weather really ruined the trip.   People who cruised the week before and the week after me had great weather.  It will be what it will be, so just be prepared.  

I typically travel mid May or mid Sept and have had great weather.  I won't travel any later in the future.

Good luck !.

There's a travel blog by a member here, and if you select the "65 nights Mediterranean and Transatlantic cruise 2016", it will give you a story of their trip, which was in October. They had really bad weather in Europe at the end of the month, but they enjoyed it very much.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2016/09/seventh-heaven.html?m=1

Edited by Maira11
Typo