Excursion: couples!

kochleffel

I read this forum avidly when I began cruising, but after good experiences on several different cruise lines, I haven't had any concerns about cruising solo.

Until I started working on excursions for a TATL this fall. Many posts in the roll call about setting up private excursions say, "We need one more couple" or "We have room for one more couple." I'm taking them at their word: they want a couple, not a single person or even two single people who aren't traveling together.

Even worse is the couple that has very demanding standards for any other couple: must be lively and interesting to them. How would anyone know whom they would consider interesting? Good luck on that.

This reminds me of the bad old days when, in fixed-seating dining, married people objected openly if the last seats at their table were assigned to solo travelers. I'm not sure whether one of them considered the solo a rival for the spouse's attention, or if it was just insulting to be seated with someone traveling alone.

Maybe I'm being neurotic about this. But maybe not.

They may want more people to keep the cost as  low as possible. Excursion is probably priced by the vehicle so having it full means all pay less.

I would  still inquire. I bet if they can't fill it, better to have one empty seat than 2.

Edited by awatt

Thanks for the replies

If everything I've booked works out -- there are some semi-private tours that haven't reached the minimum -- I have all the ports covered. If any don't reach the minimum, I'll see if any of these couples still have places open.

I get a bit annoyed when people post referring to needing "couples" to do this or that also!!  Ha ha!  BUT I realize that it is probably just a force of habit for many people to refer to people that way and probably don't mean anything negative to singles.

I remember that it took a long time after I got divorced to stop using the term "we" do this, or "we" are going there!  

One of the best excursions I have been on was one in Bora Bora that had a boat that would hold 12 people and a group of 11 took me on to fill the boat.  What a hilarious and fun group and a gorgeous day that was!!  Glad I asked them!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

51 minutes ago, oakridger said:

One of the best excursions I have been on was one in Bora Bora that had a boat that would hold 12 people and a group of 11 took me on to fill the boat.  What a hilarious and fun group and a gorgeous day that was!!  Glad I asked them!

A few years ago, when a tour that I had booked didn't meet its minimum, a tour company in Italy offered to add me to one booked by about seven women traveling together that still had a place open. We had a great time.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, kochleffel said:

I read this forum avidly when I began cruising, but after good experiences on several different cruise lines, I haven't had any concerns about cruising solo.

Until I started working on excursions for a TATL this fall. Many posts in the roll call about setting up private excursions say, "We need one more couple" or "We have room for one more couple." I'm taking them at their word: they want a couple, not a single person or even two single people who aren't traveling together.

Even worse is the couple that has very demanding standards for any other couple: must be lively and interesting to them. How would anyone know whom they would consider interesting? Good luck on that.

This reminds me of the bad old days when, in fixed-seating dining, married people objected openly if the last seats at their table were assigned to solo travelers. I'm not sure whether one of them considered the solo a rival for the spouse's attention, or if it was just insulting to be seated with someone traveling alone.

Maybe I'm being neurotic about this. But maybe not.

I'm sorry you're having difficulties with excursions.  You've listed some reasons to prefer the ship's excursions - they don't exclude solos and they don't have some imaginary "standards" to book.  Of course, you can always book a private excursion on your own, or even book a taxi on arrival.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On my first solo cruise I booked a ship-sponsored kayaking excursion. There were about six or seven couples plus me. On the minibus to the lagoon the guide informed us we would be in two-person kayaks. I told him I had not signed up with a partner. He said he’d partner with me; then he was not able to for some reason but he said I’d be fine—just take the rear seat position.

I was happy as a clam paddling around easily as I watched how the couples struggled to coordinate their paddling front with rear!

• Like 2