Espresso available in Terrace Café or GDR for breakfast ??

Hambagahle

Currently on Vista and understand that all coffee is currently Lavazza not Illy fleet wide.   (they sill have Illy in decaf at Baristas).  The rumor is that Oceania may  create their own blend.

There is no coffee station on Vista in Horizons.   Choices to get a coffee are via Butler or room service, Concierge or Executive Lounge depending on your cabin class, Grand Dining room when open, Baristas or Terrace cafe.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slw207693 said:

Currently on Vista and understand that all coffee is currently Lavazza not Illy fleet wide.   (they sill have Illy in decaf at Baristas).  The rumor is that Oceania may  create their own blend.

There is no coffee station on Vista in Horizons.   Choices to get a coffee are via Butler or room service, Concierge or Executive Lounge depending on your cabin class, Grand Dining room when open, Baristas or Terrace cafe.  

Looks like another money saver move from Oceania. I’d prefer Illy brand over Lavazza as it was served on the O ships before.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, osandomir said:

Looks like another money saver move from Oceania. I’d prefer Illy brand over Lavazza as it was served on the O ships before.

I actually prefer Lavazza to Illy.  A question of personal taste I suppose.  So I assume the answer to my question is that we CAN get a double espresso when having breakfast at the Terrace café.

• Like 2

On my last cruise I very carefully explained to the barista in Barista how to prepare a "lungo" or long black. I had to stress that it was not an Americano and that pouring hot water into a coffee only scalded the coffee and made it taste vile. It's easy to prepare, you just run the hot water through the grains until the cup is full, pushing the button a second time if necessary.

Apparently this goes totally counter to what barista-schools in the US teach. In any case, that was one of the advantages of Oceania, it's sufficiently small that the baristas recognized me and remembered how I wanted my coffee prepared!

By the way, I do drink expressi later in the day, but in the morning I like my lungo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Catmouse!!  Where were you on your last cruise ?   We will be on Vista in April Valetta to Trieste...and sorry you weren't at the lunch in Fribourg yesterday.  It was a lot of fun!   Anyway - we need (no other word) a double espresso at breakfast at least.  Hence my question about espresso in the Terrace Café (where we often eat) or the GDR (where we seldom eat).  Too bad Oceania doesn't have Nespresso machines in the suites...

15 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Have you tried Lavazza?

Yes, I have tried both Lavazza and Illy… and some other brands. We’re very particular about our coffee and prefer to buy it as fresh as possible from the small batch roasters locally. Also, we don’t use Nespresso pods. And by the way, I think here in US Illy brand is more expensive to buy  and many people would prefer it over Lavazza.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

I've yet to meet anyone who truly appreciates perfectly brewed coffee who isn't particular.  I am perfectly happy with either Lavazza or Illy;  we have simply developed palates for Lavazza over the years, one reason being that we used to import and distribute it many years ago.  I loved walking into the warehouse and being enveloped in that wonderful, aromatic environment.  I also love Illy.  As my husband says, it's not just the machine, but a skilled barista who delivers the perfect cup.  Price is irrelevant, unless the difference is a chasm, and then there's probably a very sound reason for the differential.  

• Like 3

On 9/25/2023 at 8:56 PM, Hambagahle said:

Hi Catmouse!!  Where were you on your last cruise ?   We will be on Vista in April Valetta to Trieste...and sorry you weren't at the lunch in Fribourg yesterday.  It was a lot of fun!   Anyway - we need (no other word) a double espresso at breakfast at least.  Hence my question about espresso in the Terrace Café (where we often eat) or the GDR (where we seldom eat).  Too bad Oceania doesn't have Nespresso machines in the suites...

Our last cruise was on Insignia around South Africa in January. I'm pretty sure that in Terraces the coffee came from automatic coffee machines, with built-in grinder (a bit like Jura machines, but commercial size). It was not bad and certainly an improvement on the stuff in thermos flasks. If you want an expresso, they'll run an expresso from the machine.

My next cruise is on Marina in December and I'm hoping I can still get decent coffee.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:56 PM, Hambagahle said:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, catandmouse said:

Our last cruise was on Insignia around South Africa in January. I'm pretty sure that in Terraces the coffee came from automatic coffee machines, with built-in grinder (a bit like Jura machines, but commercial size). It was not bad and certainly an improvement on the stuff in thermos flasks. If you want an expresso, they'll run an expresso from the machine.

My next cruise is on Marina in December and I'm hoping I can still get decent coffee.

Hope you do too!  Let me know...   if they will get us two double espressos we are all set!  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:19 PM, osandomir said:

Yes, I have tried both Lavazza and Illy… and some other brands. We’re very particular about our coffee and prefer to buy it as fresh as possible from the small batch roasters locally. Also, we don’t use Nespresso pods. And by the way, I think here in US Illy brand is more expensive to buy  and many people would prefer it over Lavazza.

Maybe it is worth trying Nespresso.  we always used to buy coffee and either have it ground at the shop (in NY) or supermarket (in CH) and found that the grind was never identical.  So the result was not either.  We tried grinding it ourselves (or rather, I tried...) and that didn't work well either.  Then we found Nespresso.  It is the most consistent coffee I have ever tried.  Never varies.  And is delicious.  We buy all sorts of Nespresso so we can change the coffee to fit our particular mood.  It is just wonderful (and I am not saying this because I am Swiss!!).

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:32 PM, Hambagahle said:

An Americano is not what I am talking about.  An Americano is an espresso watered down a bit but made with an espresso machine.  What I am referring to is "brewed" coffee that sits on a hot plate for a long time and can taste burnt.  It is that I can't stand - and I don't understand why, if espresso is so readily available these days many people still drink brewed coffee.  Clearly it is what they like.  I have no problem with that.  "to each his own" so to speak.  I just don't understand why they don't switch to espresso!

I'm a great believer that "without coffee, life itself would be impossible" and enjoy well-made coffee in any and all forms. You should try a properly brewed cup, or pour over - it might change your opinion.

8 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

I'm a great believer that "without coffee, life itself would be impossible" and enjoy well-made coffee in any and all forms. You should try a properly brewed cup, or pour over - it might change your opinion.

I had to live in the United States for a long time - 25 years or so in all.   I have tried (and hate) American brewed coffee.  In all its forms.  Slightly better is the coffee maker that you press down.  But that can't compare to a good espresso.  Not for me anyway!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Maybe it is worth trying Nespresso.  we always used to buy coffee and either have it ground at the shop (in NY) or supermarket (in CH) and found that the grind was never identical.  So the result was not either.  We tried grinding it ourselves (or rather, I tried...) and that didn't work well either.  Then we found Nespresso.  It is the most consistent coffee I have ever tried.  Never varies.  And is delicious.  We buy all sorts of Nespresso so we can change the coffee to fit our particular mood.  It is just wonderful (and I am not saying this because I am Swiss!!).

You are 100% correct.  It is all about the grind.  With grinding, every brand and every lot has a different best grind.

But that O machine coffee is really the pits.   Espresso is better/passable than the lattes.  Whether it is in the concierge/suite lounges or up in the terrace -- those machines definitely produce undrinkable coffee.  The beans are good quality so it has to be how the machines are adjusted (grind and temp).  Barista's is the best on the ship.

We actually prefer the barista coffee on Seabourn as it is freshly roasted every week.  The Illy coffee on O and Regent is already roasted (when??) -- yes it vacuum packed in an aluminum tin container but fresh is best.  Not knocking O the machine coffee is bad on Seabourn too.

Since I work for a Wien based company for 22 plus years - I really got used to good coffee.  That despite the fact that Starbucks across from the Hotel Sacher sells more coffee. 🙂

I wish I could bring my Nespresso machine with me...but Oceania won't let me do that I think!   We will just have to drink whatever espresso we can find on board and then look for places onshore with decent coffee!!  (Which will be fun anyway!  I had the best cappucino of my life in Budapest when on a river cruise...so you never know)

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I wish I could bring my Nespresso machine with me...but Oceania won't let me do that I think!   We will just have to drink whatever espresso we can find on board and then look for places onshore with decent coffee!!  (Which will be fun anyway!  I had the best cappucino of my life in Budapest when on a river cruise...so you never know)

Gerry, your words bring to life a vision of Mario staggering along the pier lugging our Jura machine and a bag of fresh beans to grind, while I try to juggle our carry-ons😂

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Viking has Nespresso machines in Cat. DV cabins and above.  Very nice to have in cabin.

Sorry to learn that that Horizons on Vista does not have early am coffee and pastries.

Really enjoyed going up to Horizons early on Regatta last month for both.  Found the machine Americano and espresso, bothe reg and decaf to be very fine, with nice crema on both.

Baristas was nice, but never served with proper crema on top.

Don't remember coffee brand,  but so very tasty.

Usually had room service coffee each morning, but it was just ok, not as good as machines in Horizons or Baristas.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

3 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Sorry to learn that that Horizons on Vista does not have early am coffee and pastries.

Stop by the Terrace  on the way up to Horizons  the self service machine there works fine

no pastries  there but Barristas  have some   also at the Bakery during the day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

It’s a lot of discussion about coffee. Actually, we have tried Nespresso and not just once. We still strongly prefer freshly ground coffee from the espresso machine that we use. Besides, we don’t drink flavored coffee of any sorts which Nespresso is offering in their pods that also often have been stored for a long time before we get to drink it. Everyone’s taste is subjective.

BTW, when we are traveling the coffee is important but it’s also just a small part of enjoyment among all the other aspects.

• Thanks 1

Jump in here as a tea drinker and generally a one a day kind of gal coffee drinker, (afternoons around 3-4)!  Maybe it is my more delicate palate that likes a great tasting coffee but one that is more akin to American Coffee, easy drinking but needs to be full flavoured not so watered down that it is bitter tastes brew. Now if it is after dinner I can take it a bit stronger but not espresso strong!

Chacun à son goût - to each his own.   Anyway I am relieved that I can get espresso at breakfast AND that there is an expresso machine in the Concièrge Lounge which is just a few doors down from us!  Now I have to figure a way to get into it - we are supposed to use the Executive Lounge but that is two decks up.