Alternatives to Azamara?

ChucktownSteve

On 8/23/2023 at 2:17 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have done Quebec to New York on Princess [it was the cruise that made us realize we had outgrown Princess].  

I would like to do this itinerary again – on Azamara – because I hope that Azamara would do their 'destination immersion' approach, meaning the cruise would be longer and would stop at more of the out of the way places (including L'Anse aux Meadows) and stay longer in port.

We have an "opportunity" to go on the new Sun Princess next summer with our children and grandchildren. By "opportunity", I mean that they are all paying their own fares and we are invited to tag along!!! The itinerary will actually take us to a couple of places we have never visited and the grands are all young adults in their 20s  with whom we rarely spend quality time, so it is a tempting offer. We primarily sail on Azamara and have never cruised on Princess. How are we going to like it?

Edited by pickypicky
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, pickypicky said:

We primarily sail on Azamara and have never cruised on Princess. How are we going to like it?

4,300 passengers (double occupancy).  New ship with a very youthful vibe.  Complaints about cutbacks on Princess generally (as about most mass market cruise lines trying to pay off the Covid borrowings).  Your kids and grandkids will probably like it a lot – and you will enjoy traveling with them...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

4,300 passengers (double occupancy).  New ship with a very youthful vibe.  Complaints about cutbacks on Princess generally (as about most mass market cruise lines trying to pay off the Covid borrowings).  Your kids and grandkids will probably like it a lot – and you will enjoy traveling with them...

Well said!

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you! I have no doubt that we will enjoy traveling with the kids. It's only a week, but I wouldn't mind having decent food and wine. Comments?

13 minutes ago, pickypicky said:

Thank you! I have no doubt that we will enjoy traveling with the kids. It's only a week, but I wouldn't mind having decent food and wine. Comments?

My last Princess cruise was on Crown Princess in 2017, which at that time was 11 years old and showing it [as opposed to Azamara ships which are even older but don't show it – Azamara learned all about Princess' poor maintenance practices when they got Pursuit and Onward!].

Food started out above expectations but ended up below.  The Curtis Stone entrées in the main dining rooms were uniformly excellent – but there were only three of them, each repeated once or twice.  The Norman Love chocolate deserts were also uniformly excellent.  But other selections were hit or miss.  The next-to-last dinner was a real downer:  pasta e fagioli was not like I’m used to [that’s not a fair complaint since everyone has their own recipe, but it set the tone]; veal scaloppini was tough and flavorless [no hint of marsala], and crème brûlée was like vanilla pudding [not nearly rich enough].  I have previously loved the quality of Princess pizza, but on this cruise it was not as good [and I got the first slice from a new pie].  Crown Grill was excellent, Sabatini's was not good by NY Italian trattoria standards, Chef's Table was wonderful – so try to go to the specialties as much as you can!  Coffee was really bad [worse than on our earlier cruises] – so a 'coffee card' was necessary.  

Wine – When I asked for guidance in selecting a bottle of wine, I was told there are no sommeliers [and the waiters were useless for wine advice] – luckily I knew they had a terrific 2012 Amarone [well priced] on Coral Princess and was able to get a bottle on this cruise – but when I ordered a second bottle they slipped me a 2014, which wasn't nearly as good, even though I found out later that they still had 2012 in stock.  So don't have high hopes for good wine – or any help finding it.

Like I said, you'll enjoy sailing with your grandkids...

[From what I've read on Cruise Critic, if it weren't for the younger folks in your party the one upper-mass market line I would recommend is Holland America.  Especially if you book early enough to add Club Orange to a regular veranda cabin.  I will probably try this for a future cruise, but obviously can't give a recommendation yet.] 

At least we’ll be going in eyes wide open! And we do have six incredible 20 somethings to keep us company if the food isn’t memorable. Thank you so much for your input. I think we are going to take the Princess plunge!

Edited by pickypicky

7 hours ago, pickypicky said:

We have an "opportunity" to go on the new Sun Princess next summer with our children and grandchildren. By "opportunity", I mean that they are all paying their own fares and we are invited to tag along!!! The itinerary will actually take us to a couple of places we have never visited and the grands are all young adults in their 20s  with whom we rarely spend quality time, so it is a tempting offer. We primarily sail on Azamara and have never cruised on Princess. How are we going to like it?

We have sailed many times on Princess and continue to do so. We also love Azamara and will do a b2b in Oct. The two are not comparable but both have good features. A family cruise is a wonderful experience and the newer ship should be a pleasure. However you will have to be very patient with the larger number of passengers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maggie777 said:

We have sailed many times on Princess and continue to do so. We also love Azamara and will do a b2b in Oct. The two are not comparable but both have good features. A family cruise is a wonderful experience and the newer ship should be a pleasure. However you will have to be very patient with the larger number of passengers.

Thank you. I think something new and different is always fun! 

• Like 2

I have gone back to Windstar which I had cruised three times pre Azamara. I had one with them last fall (Windsurf), have one for next fall (Windstar), and probably doing something this winter (Windspirit in Tahiti.) I don’t go to shows so I don’t miss the evening entertainment scene. I do miss the veranda but it isn’t a deal breaker. Obviously I haven’t been on the motor ships which used to belong to Seabourn.

Just now, MNgardens said:

I have gone back to Windstar which I had cruised three times pre Azamara. I had one with them last fall (Windsurf), have one for next fall (Windstar), and probably doing something this winter (Windspirit in Tahiti.) I don’t go to shows so I don’t miss the evening entertainment scene. I do miss the veranda but it isn’t a deal breaker. Obviously I haven’t been on the motor ships which used to belong to Seabourn.

Do you spring for the French Balcony, or just deal with the window?  [We felt the premium for FB was too high, but our one and only Oceanview was many years ago.]

I have not been on the motor ships. I have been looking at them.  I think if I go on the motor ships I will spring for either the classic suite or the owner’s suite if a good weather itinerary for their small outside sitting areas. If a cooler weather itinerary I would be ok with the French balcony for the increased amount of light that would bring in. 

• Thanks 1

We are considering a Viking cruise next winter.  What is niggling me is the priority given for boarding, booking excursions, etc dependent on how much you have spent for a cabin.  I can’t see many TA’s which handle Viking either and we wouldn’t want air with them.  The ship looks beautiful but these things are holding me back.  

28 minutes ago, Werangels said:

We are considering a Viking cruise next winter.  What is niggling me is the priority given for boarding, booking excursions, etc dependent on how much you have spent for a cabin.  I can’t see many TA’s which handle Viking either and we wouldn’t want air with them.  The ship looks beautiful but these things are holding me back.  

Unless you want a very specific excursion or date and time for booking it’s very rare to have an issue and in any event onboard they will make adjustments if at all possible. 

Everyone can board from 1100 subject to “crowd control” to filter you on - it’s just the access to the room that’s phased and doesn’t give us an issue at all waiting until 1 or 2 depending on our room. By the time we’ve been to the safety briefing and had a spot of lunch it’s time to go to the room. 

Vikings business model is much more about direct booking and travel agents are very very limited on additional perks they can offer. It kind of reflects their onboard culture- everyone is equal, no special areas for certain people or butlers, no captains table so no guest bickering about why did they get asked etc. 

Direct booking works well, their agents in the UK are very good based in Wimbledon and their website works a treat and is full of great information. 

As regards flights we’ve let them do ours each time and again it’s working- you can go out ahead if you want so long as you set that up at booking, we ended up getting them to adjust our flights to a better connection time - no problem one call all fixed. Your flights appear in your online account at least 60 days ahead and you have the flight locator so can manage seats etc. The best bit we will be on BA next week business class flying out 2 days early with me doing the hotels in NY at a price far below what I could get doing it myself. 

Apologies for such a pro Viking post here but just wanted to give experiences on the issues you were rightly concerned about. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Unless you want a very specific excursion or date and time for booking it’s very rare to have an issue and in any event onboard they will make adjustments if at all possible. 

Everyone can board from 1100 subject to “crowd control” to filter you on - it’s just the access to the room that’s phased and doesn’t give us an issue at all waiting until 1 or 2 depending on our room. By the time we’ve been to the safety briefing and had a spot of lunch it’s time to go to the room. 

Vikings business model is much more about direct booking and travel agents are very very limited on additional perks they can offer. It kind of reflects their onboard culture- everyone is equal, no special areas for certain people or butlers, no captains table so no guest bickering about why did they get asked etc. 

Direct booking works well, their agents in the UK are very good based in Wimbledon and their website works a treat and is full of great information. 

As regards flights we’ve let them do ours each time and again it’s working- you can go out ahead if you want so long as you set that up at booking, we ended up getting them to adjust our flights to a better connection time - no problem one call all fixed. Your flights appear in your online account at least 60 days ahead and you have the flight locator so can manage seats etc. The best bit we will be on BA next week business class flying out 2 days early with me doing the hotels in NY at a price far below what I could get doing it myself. 

Apologies for such a pro Viking post here but just wanted to give experiences on the issues you were rightly concerned about. 

That is really helpful, thank you.  Ooh…. Might be a possibility!  Do need independent flights though as have BA companion vouchers to use.

Is there a loyalty scheme for number of bookings, etc or nothing at all.  I like the sound of everyone’s equal.  We have shied away from anywhere where there is a tier system. 

13 minutes ago, Werangels said:

That is really helpful, thank you.  Ooh…. Might be a possibility!  Do need independent flights though as have BA companion vouchers to use.

Is there a loyalty scheme for number of bookings, etc or nothing at all.  I like the sound of everyone’s equal.  We have shied away from anywhere where there is a tier system. 

There is no loyalty scheme - no tier system -  an no one talks about what level they are at or how many cruises they have done which is really refreshing.  Their officers are not as visible, which you might like or not like, but it has the advantage no one is chasing to get the attention of anyone if you know what I mean.

They have one event for everyone who has sailed before but when we were on our first cruise the cruise director said in her announcement - actually everyone come along this evening we are a friendly bunch!  

Go to the Viking Board as there is a repeat guest benefit - £200 for everyone  - but if you find someone who has been with them before there is a referral scheme which gets newbies to benefit .  Its all covered on that board

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Werangels said:

We were on a Viking "Homelands" cruise in the spring.  The included "overview" excursions in every port were numerous so not really an issue of getting one, but if one has a preffered time for an excursion - then the higher cabin categories have fist dibs a given number of days before sailing.  Some paid speciality excursions do sell out  before sailing.  On our cruise the Edward Grieg house and recital as well as several go to market with chef and cook excusions sold out pre cruise. 

Another area where a higher cabin category may help (pre cruise) is the speciality restaurant booking (no additional cost) and there is a heirarchy of number bookings permitted and booking window based on cabin category.  But once on board that goes away. 

We always opt for our own air and that has not been an issue for Viking Ocean or River.  However, with own air the transfers are not free, if one chooses to use Viking transfers.  (We always find our own way to/from ship).

In the US, TA's are very limited as to discounting, rebates etc...- as noted by OP - but one can generally find a modest OBC offer.  We end up using ours for a couple of paid excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homerody said:

We were on a Viking "Homelands" cruise in the spring.  The included "overview" excursions in every port were numerous so not really an issue of getting one, but if one has a preffered time for an excursion - then the higher cabin categories have fist dibs a given number of days before sailing.  Some paid speciality excursions do sell out  before sailing.  On our cruise the Edward Grieg house and recital as well as several go to market with chef and cook excusions sold out pre cruise. 

Another area where a higher cabin category may help (pre cruise) is the speciality restaurant booking (no additional cost) and there is a heirarchy of number bookings permitted and booking window based on cabin category.  But once on board that goes away. 

We always opt for our own air and that has not been an issue for Viking Ocean or River.  However, with own air the transfers are not free, if one chooses to use Viking transfers.  (We always find our own way to/from ship).

In the US, TA's are very limited as to discounting, rebates etc...- as noted by OP - but one can generally find a modest OBC offer.  We end up using ours for a couple of paid excursions.

Thank you. It is the higher cabin number equalling first choice restaurants and first dibs at the excursions which is putting me off.  😬

21 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

The other “problem” with Viking, at least in the US, is that they want final payment almost immediately. No 90 days out for them.

Very true, our friends in the US had to pay in full 12 months out for a booking with us next May.

I suspect there would be many people shouting that Azamara are going to the wall if they asked for payment in full 12 months out.  Perceptions!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, royallondon said:

Very true, our friends in the US had to pay in full 12 months out for a booking with us next May.

I suspect there would be many people shouting that Azamara are going to the wall if they asked for payment in full 12 months out.  Perceptions!

Very true!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pickypicky said:

We primarily sail on Azamara and have never cruised on Princess. How are we going to like it?

Agree with our Host's response. You will enjoy being with family. As Elite with Princess, there is one thing that will stand out for you going Azamara to Princess. If you read post #42, we are seeking the things AZ offers. Going the other way, as you will be, you will notice add-ons, upsells and nickle and diming, to a much greater degree than what AZ sells. If you are accustomed to inclusive pricing for Luxury lines, then this will stand out for you. "What! You mean that's extra?" 

Usually solved by buying a package deal. Once you sort that through, what will remain is a vacation with family, which I hope you will enjoy.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 1:18 PM, pickypicky said:

Years and years ago, my parents took my sisters and me and our kids on a family cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship. We had a ball. We all split into various groups and did our own thing during the day and then all met as a big family group for dinner at night. Great memories 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Years and years ago, my parents took my sisters and me and our kids on a family cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship. We had a ball. We all split into various groups and did our own thing during the day and then all met as a big family group for dinner at night. Great memories 

That's one of my favorite things about cruising with a group, including family. You can "be together" without "BEING TOGETHER!!!!" 

Having breaks from one another makes the communal times more special without being overwhelming. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

The other “problem” with Viking, at least in the US, is that they want final payment almost immediately. No 90 days out for them.

Wow!  That makes me feel rather uncomfortable.  I shall look at the terms for the UK. 

Thanks.