Free Diamond Pictures

On 8/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I just tell anyone I meet that my free picture is earned, so if they want a free picture, go on more cruises. Honestly, this is earned, and the more people that talk about how to beat the system, the more likely, the earned item will be removed......remember drink packages?

Since we have earned it, as you correctly put it, why can we not use what we have earned as we see fit. If I want to give away my 4 Diamond drinks every day, so be it, I've earned them. If I want to give my free pic away, since I've earned that pic, why not? No one is trying to beat the system. We are simply taking what we have earned and doing what we want with it.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 9:07 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

I don't know a bit from a byte, and I know even less about photography, I was just reporting what it says on my computer screen, but there is a 100% chance I am misinterpreting something.

You are right, this file says MB not GB

A "bit" is a single item that can be a ZERO or a ONE. A byte, in conventional ASCII code consists of 8 bits to make a character (such as "a" which is 01100001 or "A" which is 01000001). That's the difference between a bit and a byte.

Edited by Nacho.Daddy

On 8/14/2023 at 8:33 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

Hmm, just looked at my photo files from my Wonder cruise a few weeks ago, all are 1.9 GB to 2.3 GB, they printed beautifully

Are they JPEG, BMP, or something else? In JPEG, 1.9 GB is a HUGE picture file!

1 hour ago, Nacho.Daddy said:

Since we have earned it, as you correctly put it, why can we not use what we have earned as we see fit. If I want to give away my 4 Diamond drinks every day, so be it, I've earned them. If I want to give my free pic away, since I've earned that pic, why not? No one is trying to beat the system. We are simply taking what we have earned and doing what we want with it.

While I think it is a great idea to give a pic away when you don’t want that particular benefit, RCL clearly states on their benefits page that is not their intent. “ Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle club members receive a free any size photo of your choice from your existing photograph selection.” Someone else’s pic would not be in your photograph selection. But, like many other things on board, I’m sure it is done on occasion.

• Like 1

I've noticed recently that the photographers that come into the specialty restaurants now try and upsell you on a printed and packaged photo rather than loading them into the system so you can use your diamond offer in the photo shop. I used to say OK to them taking photos thinking I may get it but if not, it might "count" for them (the photographers).  Now I refuse all because I'm concerned they'll come back with some package they want me to purchase.

3 hours ago, Threedrones said:

While I think it is a great idea to give a pic away when you don’t want that particular benefit, RCL clearly states on their benefits page that is not their intent. “ Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle club members receive a free any size photo of your choice from your existing photograph selection.” Someone else’s pic would not be in your photograph selection. But, like many other things on board, I’m sure it is done on occasion.

That's why I tell the recipient to give my room number when they have the photo taken.... that way, their photo will be in my "existing photograph selection".

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 11:53 PM, sailor05 said:

I figured there would those would disagree with me getting someone my free pictures, but to you I say move on, you're opinion isn't welcomed here. ALWAYS those who feel the need to run their mouths. I haven't received one single picture since becoming diamond, and likely will not any time soon, and my traveling mates are the same. We earned this right, and with the 4 free drinks, they ALLOW us to give those to someone else. So instead of not using them, I thought we'd try and let this couple have some free pictures, which costs them NOTHING, especially when compared to the free drinks we're ALLOWED to give away. Thanks for the "kinder" thoughts from the rest of you!

Then why ask the question on an open forum to begin with? If you just wanted people to agree with you, shouldn't the thread have been "I'm going to give my free Diamond picture away, post here if you do the same". 

To the topic of the thread, I think Merion Mom hit the nail on the head. It might work, it might not. I have given mine away in the past, but I've also been told no because I wasn't in them.

Just remember that you haven't earned any "rights". You've earned loyalty perks. Perks which can be taken away at their discretion if they feel it is being misused. It's great they allow us to share the unused drink vouchers, but they apparently haven't given that same blanket ruling to the photos. This isn't unkind, it's just reality.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, Biker19 said:

Read your previous quote of that poster.

The post you quoted (#28) is my only quote of that poster. There is nothing of mine earlier. As I correctly stated, a 1.9 GB JPEG file when be obscenely huge so I'm wondering if they used a BMP file format or some other format so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Look at post #27 - in it you quoted the poster in which he admitted that it was an error, and it was a 1.9MB file.

Haha......didn't even notice that last sentence. I guess I got hung up on being able to help someone understand a little bit of the techie world that I never finished reading/comprehending the whole post.

Still curious what kind of file format Royal uses though. There are some really weird ones out there.