Newbie Survives Specialty Restaurant Bookings

LSuzQ

We are booked on Marina late September, in a B3 extended balcony. So, I dove into my first specialty restaurant booking event at 12:01 a.m. (following the good advice found on these boards). And it was, indeed, the predicted feeding frenzy. Luckily we are late-ish diners and managed 8:00 bookings, which is fine. I wonder if a couple of things, beyond our cabin category, further limited our options to 2 to 3 dining times per venue (one of which was always 9:00 pm).

- Our cruise appears to be the middle leg of a three part journey.  I wonder if those who book multiple legs are able to book reservations for their entire trip at the beginning of their journey. 

- I was hoping for private dining (a two-top) for our anniversary dinner, but would have happily shared on other nights. However, while in frenzy-mode, it appeared that I could select only one option across all venues—so quickly gave up and chose private dining. Have others experienced the same? I should probably be pleased to have the additional coveted two-tops in any event.

Feeling accomplished nonetheless.

• Like 3

We  barely got  res for before 8pm  a lot were only 9pm

booked 3 out of 4 restaurants

Call Oceania & see if they have any 2 tops  for your anniversary night  at least

Once onboard go to the restaurant reservations desk (deck 5) & see if they can  help 

They do leave some tables open  for those that do not book online

Enjoy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We  barely got  res for before 8pm  a lot were only 9pm

booked 3 out of 4 restaurants

Call Oceania & see if they have any 2 tops  for your anniversary night  at least

Once onboard go to the restaurant reservations desk (deck 5) & see if they can  help 

Enjoy

Thanks, LHT28. We actually did secure a two-top for each reservation. My writing is never as clear as I think it is!

12 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

Thanks, LHT28. We actually did secure a two-top for each reservation. My writing is never as clear as I think it is!

Good news  I misread  your part about  sharing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Once on board you can check daily to see if additional reservations are available. If so, you can get more reservations.

yes  sometimes it works sometimes not

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LSuzQ said:

it appeared that I could select only one option across all venues—

I've never heard or seen this before. It's either something new or a problem with the booking engine, which is highly likely. 

• Like 2

Just now, ORV said:

I've never heard or seen this before. It's either something new or a problem with the booking engine, which is highly likely. 

I was able to check any of the 3 options  last night 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LSuzQ said:

- I was hoping for private dining (a two-top) for our anniversary dinner, but would have happily shared on other nights. However, while in frenzy-mode, it appeared that I could select only one option across all venues—so quickly gave up and chose private dining. Have others experienced the same? I should probably be pleased to have the additional coveted two-tops in any event.

You can go back and change your dining reservations at any time up to a deadline (can't remember how far before embarkation). You can change your private tables to shared. Just go to the dining reservation area and click edit reservation for the one you want to change. Click "Share my table with other guests". The SW isn't too bright so it will show all restaurants, not just the one you want to edit; choose "Show Available Dates" under the relevant restaurant. The calendar and process is just like before, but when you choose a new time it will ask if you want to replace your existing rez with the new one. 

Sharing can be fun, so I recommend trying at least once. Hopefully you get the typically interesting O-crowd. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we are on the same cruise.  This is also our first time with Oceania.  It was indeed a frenzy.  My husband is a type 1 diabetic and needs to eat earlier than 8:30-9:00.  That was pretty much all that was available for 2.  I chose the sharing as I’m not opposed to it.  We will have three nights at 7-7:30 sharing and one night at 7 for two.  I know it will be fine.  Some of my best friends have been made back in the day where everyone shared.  I will take the above advice and keep checking however.

We are also in a B3 extended balcony.  

LSUZQ:

Oh my; I had no idea that it would be this difficult, especially at 12:01 AM.  Is that Eastern Time?  I am also a newbie with a DH that has stomach issues if he has to eat late.  I booked a PH1, hoping that the earliest times would be available.  If not, I would definitely have to think about canceling ahead of the 6 months before the cruise.  I hate all these tiny little details, especially having to stay up late just to book dinner reservations on a cruise, but nothing is ever simple. 

Edited by Lastdance

18 minutes ago, maadimom said:

I think we are on the same cruise.  This is also our first time with Oceania.  It was indeed a frenzy.  My husband is a type 1 diabetic and needs to eat earlier than 8:30-9:00.  That was pretty much all that was available for 2.  I chose the sharing as I’m not opposed to it.  We will have three nights at 7-7:30 sharing and one night at 7 for two.  I know it will be fine.  Some of my best friends have been made back in the day where everyone shared.  I will take the above advice and keep checking however.

keep checking  & see if earlier spots open up

If not  go to the dinner reservations desk on Deck 5  & see if they can get you in earlier

have a snack at tea or in barristas  to tide him over

10 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Oh my; I had no idea that it would be this difficult, especially at 12:01 AM.  Is that Eastern Time, as I notice that you are in Colorado?  I am also a newbie with a DH that has stomach issues if he has to eat late.  I booked a PH1, hoping that the earliest times would be available.  If not,  I would definitely have to think about canceling ahead of the 6 months before the cruise.  I hate all these tiny little details, especially having to stay up late just to book dinner reservations on a cruise without having any idea about the food quality etc. with a new ship.  

If you are in  a PH your butler can bring  your dinner in  or  snacks  before   to tide him over

but I am sure it will not be  an issue  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

LSUZQ:

Oh my; I had no idea that it would be this difficult, especially at 12:01 AM.  Is that Eastern Time?  I am also a newbie with a DH that has stomach issues if he has to eat late.  I booked a PH1, hoping that the earliest times would be available.  If not, I would definitely have to think about canceling ahead of the 6 months before the cruise.  I hate all these tiny little details, especially having to stay up late just to book dinner reservations on a cruise, but nothing is ever simple. 

Being in a PH, you should have no difficulty getting the times and dates you want. We book PH and this has always been true for us. We don't get on the computer at midnight.  We'll log in sometime during the next day or 2.  All times from 6:30 onward, non-sharing and sharing, have been available in each restaurant. 

Don't stress and enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

LSUZQ:

Since you live in Nevada are you 2 or 3 hours behind EST? You could log in at 9 or 10 PM depending. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Since you live in Nevada are you 2 or 3 hours behind EST? You could log in at 9 or 10 PM depending. 

We are three hours behind, along with being a huge benefit.  I mixed up two conversations from different posters...one in Virginia and one in Colorado, both in different time zones.   Thanks for clarifying😀

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

LSUZQ:

Don't panic yet. Look at this list. I think you're on Vista. There are approximately 26 suites above PH's if I counted right. The only competition you have are the people who are also in PH's. 

You can book sooner than the bulk of the ship. I'm usually at the 45 day out mark and manage just fine. you're situation is completely different than someone booking at 45 days out. 

• Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
    Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received until 7 days prior to sailing, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing. 
  • Penthouse Suite 
    Reservations may be made 75-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.
  • Concierge Level Veranda 
    Reservations may be made 60-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

All Other Categories 
Reservations may be made 45-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maadimom said:

Hope to catch up with you! Perhaps we’ll share a meal if we successfully change our table option on some evenings!

13 minutes ago, ORV said:

Don't panic yet. Look at this list. I think you're on Vista. There are approximately 26 suites above PH's if I counted right. The only competition you have are the people who are also in PH's. 

You can book sooner than the bulk of the ship. I'm usually at the 45 day out mark and manage just fine. you're situation is completely different and someone booking at 45 days out. 

• Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
    Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received until 7 days prior to sailing, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing. 
  • Penthouse Suite 
    Reservations may be made 75-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.
  • Concierge Level Veranda 
    Reservations may be made 60-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

All Other Categories 
Reservations may be made 45-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

this thread and ORV's post can be stickied as definitive.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

LSUZQ:

Eastern time for us! Good luck with yours…

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

you're situation is completely different than someone booking at 45 days out. 

Your

What is wrong with me, I haven't even started drinking yet. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I'm sailing on the Regatta, where is the reservations desk for speciality dinning located for this ship?

13 minutes ago, BSR said:

I'm sailing on the Regatta, where is the reservations desk for speciality dinning located for this ship?

I believe it is deck 5 near the shops

someone will correct me if wrong