What's your music preference in the Steakhouse?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Just now, ChinaShrek said:

Actually a live piano player or harpist would be nice. If that isn't an option, anything but country. Hate country.

I'm with you, I'd never call myself a fan of country music. The first couple of times we sailed on Celebrity (2008?), they had a harpist playing in Ocean Liner's. It was splendid, but it's gone too...

Any of the Rippintons  albums with Russ Freeman or Steve Morse album High Tension Wires Jan Ackerman for Jazz Fusion.  

Any Van Morrison or Steely Dan even Carol King perhaps throw in some Carpenters lots of good easy listening Music from early 70s. 

Edited by AllenF
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AllenF said:

Any of the Rippintons  albums with Russ Freeman or Steve Morse album High Tension Wires Jan Ackerman for Jazz Fusion.  

Any Van Morrison or Steely Dan even Carol King perhaps throw in some Carpenters lots of good easy listening Music from early 70s. 

Don’t have a clue on first sentence group but agree on the second.

Music in the higher end restaurant should be background music in my opinion. I am there for the dining experience, extraordinary service, upscale food not for the music. Conversation and enjoying those with you at the table should be the priority.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Last year on the Panorama they opened up one of those folding walls between the steakhouse and piano bar and let us listen to Geoffrey Mung who was playing there.  He was outstanding!  He plays classical covers of vintage rock songs along with a lot of original content.  Hands down my favorite performer that I have seen on any ship. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

Last year on the Panorama they opened up one of those folding walls between the steakhouse and piano bar and let us listen to Geoffrey Mung who was playing there.  He was outstanding!  He plays classical covers of vintage rock songs along with a lot of original content.  Hands down my favorite performer that I have seen on any ship. 

Interesting - that they could do that. I'm not familiar with that class of ship.

Tom

7 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

I'll say, I don't think I noticed the music at all, which would mean it was played at a level that wasn't disruptive, and that is my only requirement lol.  It doesn't matter what it is.

It's interesting - but there are some songs that, when played too low, all you'll hear is a repetitive sound. I listen to smooth jazz often and when turned down - some songs can be annoying (yes, some people would say it's annoying at any level... lol)

Tom

• Haha 1

I agree that restaurant music should be incidental, in the background and not the focus of the event. Unless of course you are at a dinner theater (are those even still a thing?) and in keeping with that instrumental is usually better. I suppose as different generations grow older, out definition of classics or oldies will change. Of the play list posted above, really none of them would be my choice in a steak house, which to me is a different setting from a pool party of even sail away.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

I agree that restaurant music should be incidental, in the background and not the focus of the event. Unless of course you are at a dinner theater (are those even still a thing?) and in keeping with that instrumental is usually better. I suppose as different generations grow older, out definition of classics or oldies will change. Of the play list posted above, really none of them would be my choice in a steak house, which to me is a different setting from a pool party of even sail away.

Carnival used to have supper clubs (steakhouse with music) with dancing. That was a bit much for what Carnival is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Same for us on the Vista having them open up the partition to the piano bar.  Very enjoyable and added to a nice dinner. 

Are you sure it was Vista and not Horizon?  The library is next to the steakhouse on Vista.  

On 8/16/2023 at 6:42 AM, ObstructedView2 said:

My music preference in the steakhouse would simply be something soft & mellow, at a very low volume.

🍷

Unfortunately our last steakhouse meal was on Carnival Luminosa.  We could not hear a conversation at all as it was on a high deck level but open to the atrium below so whatever was playing in the atrium bar/stage came straight up and drowned out any attempt at conversation. It was so loud on our night, and not pleasant, so ruined the evening.

Apart from that we really liked the Luminosa and did three cruises on her.

16 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

I suppose as different generations grow older, out definition of classics or oldies will change. 

It's not OUR definitions that change, it's the radio industries definition.   I still think that the music my 81 year old dad listens to is "oldies" and my music from the 80's & 90's is classic!  🤣

• Haha 1