Honeymooning: First time on Cruise - Questions

I have booked a cruise for my honemoon on the Mariner of the Seas this May cruising to the western carribean for 7 days. We are both very excited, but being that this is our first time on a cruise, I want to make sure we get the most out of our honeymoon. I hope you kind people can answer some questions for me.

I think I understand that dining for dinner is in the main dining room, but is that a sit down dinner or a buffet? Is breakfast and lunch in the same place, and is it sit down or buffet?

How do the shows work? Does everyone go to the same show each night, and is it hard to get in?

Any insider tips for things we should be sure to do aboard the cruise to maximise our experience. Should we let people know its our honeymoon?

We've book some shore excursions, but my fiance wants to make sure she has time to shop at some of the islands. We've reserved the earliest times for our shore excursions, will there be time to look around the island afterwards? Are the shore excursions worth it?

I really appreciate any answers ya'll may provide. I'm really excited and anxious for our first cruise, and I just want to make sure my fiance has the time of her life. Thanks again.

I have booked a cruise for my honemoon on the Mariner of the Seas this May cruising to the western carribean for 7 days. We are both very excited, but being that this is our first time on a cruise, I want to make sure we get the most out of our honeymoon. I hope you kind people can answer some questions for me.

I think I understand that dining for dinner is in the main dining room, but is that a sit down dinner or a buffet? Is breakfast and lunch in the same place, and is it sit down or buffet? Dinner is a sit down meal and you have an assigned table. Breakfast and lunch are also served in the dining room, but it is open seating, you just show up whenever you want. In addition to the meals served in the dining room, breakfast, lunch and dinner are also served buffet style in the Windjammer so you can take your choice of where to eat.

How do the shows work? Does everyone go to the same show each night, and is it hard to get in? There is one show for early seating passengers and one show for late seating passengers (same show repeated twice). Plenty of seats.

Any insider tips for things we should be sure to do aboard the cruise to maximise our experience. Should we let people know its our honeymoon? Only if you want them to make fun of you....

We've book some shore excursions, but my fiance wants to make sure she has time to shop at some of the islands. We've reserved the earliest times for our shore excursions, will there be time to look around the island afterwards? Are the shore excursions worth it? Most excursions drop you back at the ship or leave you in the shopping area. If the excursion is only a few hours there should be time for shopping.

I really appreciate any answers ya'll may provide. I'm really excited and anxious for our first cruise, and I just want to make sure my fiance has the time of her life. Thanks again.

Tip on something to do - don't miss the ice show.

Bring plenty of sunscreen. Nothing will ruin your honeymoon faster than getting sunburned and not being able to stand being touched!!! The sun is much more likely to burn you in the lower latitudes than anywhere in the States!

PLEASE heed the sunscreen warning. I live in Florida and my wife warned me that it was going to be bad. She was from Puerto Rico originally. Well on our first cruise i stood on the top deck for about 3hrs as we pulled into San Juan, That was great but i spent the rest of my cruise in the cabin with sun poisoning:eek: not real fun.

Seeeuuu

Jeff

Don't wear yourself out trying to do everything!!! Our first cruise was fantastic but we were so tired all the time because we tried to do everything we wanted to do. Impossible!! Save some things for your next cruise and believe me there WILL BE A NEXT ONE!!!!!

You have made a good choice with the Mariner. She is a beautiful vessel.

On the Mariner don't miss the Ice Show, Quest or the Love & Marriage game (in fact try to get pick as the honeymooners). Have fun and make memories!!

The best advice for getting the most out of your cruise, for myself and DW at least (to each their own), is to Get Out There!

Volunteer for any activity, such as:

- Horse racing

- Bingo number verification

- Dance at the "School Hop" dance

- Go to Quest early, bring some of your new found friends, or make new ones there, and form a team for the Quest. Watch your on board daily newspaper for date and time. And, no, unlike some, I will not tell what Quest is. Half the fun is finding out

- Participate as a contestant, and/or your soon to be DW as judge, in the sexy legs contest

- Generaly speak up when they are looking for volunteers

Personaly, I rather be the one having a blast and beeing watched, than watching someone else create fantastic memories. Besides, you are likely to get a free token from RCI; key chain, hat, or the famous UBoC :D.

As for whether or not you should tell, that's up to how you would react to everyone congratulating you. If you do decide to tell, one way to better your chance of being picked as a volunteer is, have DW wore one of those short vails you some times see women wear at bachelorete parties (or at least the ones on TV).

Congratulations. Mariner is such a great ship. Got to go to the love and marriage show that is for sure...or do they call it newleywed game....I forget. (Just went on the ship in Jan....) Enjoy the ship and do not feel that you must see it all and do it all and all the while not enjoy what you are doing.

Best advice: Pack your bathing suit and shorts into your carry on. Get to the ship early. Port Canaveral is so easy to get to. Go right up to your cabin and see if you can drop off carry on. Go to windjammer for lunch and then head outside for the pool. This makes for such a nice day and a great way to feel like the vacation has already started.

Do not grab every drink they bring around. They are not free. Tips are added onto each drink so no need to tip on top of that... If you get the drinks that they do not bring around it is less money in a regular glass and forget the plastic take home glass.

The drinks sneak up on you in the hot sun...so careful.

Bring some lanyard and ask purser to punch hole in card, wear it around neck or looped into the belt loops of the shorts. Much easier this way.

Ask steward to clean out the fridge so you do not use the stuff in there since it is so over priced. Use it to stock your own stuff that you bring in. Small bottles of wine, some drinks to mix with the free oj, punch or lemonade....HE HE HE!

Read over the daily compass and circle the stuff you are interested in going to.

Make sure you try the rock climbing, ice skating on sea days (bring pants)...

Most important--bring along ginger capsules and take them every morning and night. 2 each time. This will stop any sea sickness. And take them for 2 days after you get off---I get more sea sick when I am home than on the ship and I learned to take the ginger for a few days so body readjusts to land. Even if you feel fine--take it. Nothing can ruin your vacation like sea sickness can. Well sunburn is a close one to that I think. So wear sunscreen too.

Make sure the steward knows it is your honeymoon.

Order room service---ask for the lunch menus and dinner ones if you care to.

Dining in the dining room is great. Eat and enjoy. If you want something you do not see they will try to get it for you. My kids liked hot chocolate and had it the first night, and each night they brought it to them.

Order more than one of everything-they expect it and enjoy sampling.

Tip them for good service on the last night.

Enjoy, relax and have fun.

Be sure and take a sweater for the ice show, and arrive 10-15 minutes ahead of time to make sure you get a good seat.

They don’t advertise it like they used to, but there are plenty of events where you can collect ship-shape dollars that you redeem at the end of the cruise for things like workout towels, travel mugs and t-shirts. Look for the ship-shape logo on the events in the compass.

Don't be afraid to send your dinner back if it wasn't what you expected. They want you to have a wonderful dining experience everynight. So if you tell the waiter you can't decide between the fish or the chicken, he/she will be more than happy to bring you both. If you compliment the shrimp cocktail, don't be surprised to find them urging you to let them go get you another.

Don't try to do everything. Decide ahead of time what are your "must do's" and make sure you fit those in. Above all, remember to relax. It's easy to give in to the tempation try to do everything. About day 4 is when I have to remind myself that I'm supposed to be on vacation ... not a marathon.

Absolutely tell everyone you can that it is your honeymoon. It can only help. I got married in Las Vegas a few months ago and I made sure everybody knew it. Upgraded room, free gifts, extra attention in restaurants. My wife rolled her eyes, but she loved the attention.

We're going on a belated honeymoon in April....I'm going to make an effort to be the "life of the party." I'm normally quiet and reserved....but I'm going to try to get involved in anything I can. I won't see these people again. And if I do, they'll remember me.

Just have fun and do what makes you (and your new wife happy) 100% of the time. Never pinch pennies on your honeymoon and try to make it special whenever you get the chance.

Thanks for all of the great answers you have all provided.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience at the alternative restaurant on the Mariner of the Seas. Is there only one restaurant, and is it worth paying the extra money? Anyone know how much it is? Also, can reservations be made in advance, or only once aboard the ship.

Also, lots of people have mentioned Windjammers. Is that a restaurant that is extra, and what kind of food do they have, and is it open all the time.

I hope these are dumb questions, I've just never cruised before.

Thanks again everyone.

Surprise your fiance with one of the romance packages or champagne and strawberries or flowers. You can order these ahead of time. Don't buy any pictures until the end of the cruise. They will constantly take your picture so don't buy the first ones you see. They add up quickly. Have you looked on the ports of call board? You will find great ideas for activities to do in port. The spa has cheaper prices on sea days-maybe book a couples massage. As others have said, don't try to cram everything in. Other than the evening shows, most activities are offered multiple times during the week. Congratulations and have fun.

The alternative places to eat are Chops and Portifinos. They are an extra $20 fee per person. The Windjammer is the buffet, free and open usually in some form from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Do try the Dining Room at your assigned time however. The food is a little better and it gives you a chance to meet others at your table. Chops is good for a special night and the windjammer for an evening when you're tired of dressing for dinner. Have a great time!

Hey Bravesfan! Congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. I am a big Atlanta Braves fan too and my husband and I try to come down to Atlanta and enjoy a game. We love it! We will be celebrating our 5 year anniversary this year and this is a well-needed, well-deserved honeymoon for us as well. Our honeymoon was cut very short due to the Sept. 11th tragedies almost 5 years ago and so, there was no airlines flying for a while. OH well!

Just my 2 cents...

Try not to do everything as most people have said. Remember, you are on vacation and your honeymoon. Enjoy and relax! You can't do everything everyday, but bring a highlighter so you both can mark the things that you would like to do the next day in your Cruise Compass. Look awesome and dress up for dinner, it's so much fun and have lots of pics taken. You don't have to buy them all, just pick and choice the ones you want. Having them take a lot of pics let's you have many choices on which ones are the best!

I have a great packing list for you and your NEW wife if you would like it, just email me your addy at deana0473@aol.com. I tried to think of everything for everyone, so some things might apply to you and some might now. Just mark out the things that you won't be needing or using!

Have a great time and enjoy yourselves!

Deana

Cannot overemphasize the benefits of room service - don't worry about the menu in the guestbook, during meal times they will room service most items. Free, except remember to tip for delivery. After a late return to the room, just the cheese plate and maybe a dessert can make a great bedtime snack.

Also, breakfast in bed is great!

The Windjammer has good food, but when the dining room is open for lunch, take advantage of it - great food, no crowds and rush, and often great conversation (you will be group seated).

Cannot overemphasize the benefits of room service

To each their own but... You spend a small fortune to get on a beautiful ship and travel to exotic places so you can sit in your room alone and eat? Sorry no. I've done enough business travel to convince myself that eating alone in a room is no fun. Give me the entertainment of the dining room any day! I want to watch people, interact with the waiter, show off my new bow tie, etc. That's the thrill for me - even on a honeymoon! (Now, there certainly are other things that I think should be enjoyed alone in the room on the honeymoon - all the more reason to use LOTS of sunscreen!)

My husband and I spent our honeymoon last July on AOS. It was his first cruise, my first cruise on RCCL, and we had a blast! I tried telling everyone that we were honeymooners and even wore my "Bride" tanktop, but, alas, we got nothing special. There was a special celebration in the nightclub one night for honeymooners. We got free champagne and cake and a special honeymooners dance. There were also a few raffles for the newlyweds. It was fun. You should check your cruise schedule once you are on board to see if you will have a night like that on your ship.

We had a great time just going to various beaches on the islands and being together. We did one excrusion, but other than that, we just enjoyed some time alone after the hectic pace of the wedding. It was nice to finally be just the two of us and explore the exotic locales.

We did have one evening ritual. Each evening before we retired to our cabin, we went to the Cafe Promenade and got one of each kind of specialty sandwich they were serving. We took them out on the balcony of our cabin and ate them overlooking the ocean as we talked about that day's events and planned the next day's activities. It was such a special, romantic way to spend time together alone.

Sorry if that sounds a little sappy, but I'm still a newlywed!:)

I cant believe how helpful everybody has been on this message board. Thanks again to everybody for all the tips and insight, it has really been helpful. Its still two months away, but I'm so excited.

Does anybody know if you can make reservations in advance for the specialty restaurant? From what I've heard people say, it sounds like something I'd like to do. What night would be best? I dont want to miss out on the formal nights in the main dining room.

What night would be best?

This is very much a matter of taste and opinion. My sugestion would be for you to go see the materde after boarding (check the daily planner when you get on board for the hours he will be in the dining room) and ask if they could let you look at the weeks menu. Look them over and pick a night when the menu is least apealing. Alternativly, you could make the same request of your waiter on the first night at diner.

Archived