updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

46 minutes ago, jland said:

Yes way over due. Australia was the only country in the world continuing with covid rules on cruise ships.

Well, I HAD to check that.

Up until 4 days ago, New Zealand did too, but latest from https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/ "Travellers and crew do not need pre-departure tests or proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter New Zealand. Check with your airline or cruise provider as they may still require proof of vaccination."

So, there you go!

6 minutes ago, Auscruisefam said:

Is this leaving NSW only? What about cruises leaving NSW going to QLD? 

It is all states. They have all agreed to remove the East Coast & WA cruise protocols. The protocols were by committee, not a state by state legislature. 

Now we see what each of the cruise lines updates on their sites.

They seem to be so focused on the vaccination side of things, that pre-cruise testing hasn't rated much of a mention. The protocols that set this are no longer there, but each state has always had their own version of pre-cruise screening, usually in the form of a yes/no paper survey. As far as I can tell, each state can revert to that or decide they still want RATs. The RATs are easy enough, but the administration of them has been the issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Belmont Babe said:

Up until 4 days ago, New Zealand did too, but latest from https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/ "Travellers and crew do not need pre-departure tests or proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter New Zealand. Check with your airline or cruise provider as they may still require proof of vaccination."

So, there you go!

NZ dropped theirs some time ago. As long as the ship didn't visit an Australian port (including Norfolk Island), passengers didn't require vaccination. There was some mention that P&O were still requiring it for the current Pacific Explorer season, but not a NZ requirement.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It is all states. They have all agreed to remove the East Coast & WA cruise protocols. The protocols were by committee, not a state by state legislature. 

Now we see what each of the cruise lines updates on their sites.

They seem to be so focused on the vaccination side of things, that pre-cruise testing hasn't rated much of a mention. The protocols that set this are no longer there, but each state has always had their own version of pre-cruise screening, usually in the form of a yes/no paper survey. As far as I can tell, each state can revert to that or decide they still want RATs. The RATs are easy enough, but the administration of them has been the issue.

Ok great hopefully cruise lines will update soon. 
Don’t mind doings RATs

I was looking for the official word last night, but it was thrown up in the dead of night. Media release.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/lifting-of-covid-cruise-ship-protocols

The NSW Premier Chris Minns has ended COVID rules for cruising as the industry prepares for a busy summer.

Premier Minns has signed paperwork formally removing the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols.

The cruise protocols were introduced in April 2022 to support the safe resumption of cruising following the lifting of the Commonwealth’s ban during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The participating state governments - NSW, Victoria, QLD and WA - approved the cruise protocols, which have been implemented by the cruise industry on a voluntary basis.

The protocols stated that all passengers aged 12 years and over needed to be fully-vaccinated to board a cruise ship departing or arriving at a port in these 4 states.

It also enforced mask wearing, including when embarking and disembarking, along with mandating negative COVID test results prior to departure.

Governments have agreed there is no longer a need for formal protocols with increasing community immunity to COVID-19 and lessons learned from the cruising industry since voyages resumed.

The Premier’s move follows an announcement late Friday by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC).

The AHPPC rescinded the current Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) Cruise Guidelines and issued new advice around cruising.

The committee did note that cruise ships remain a higher risk setting for communicable disease and that cruise operators can help reduce the risk, including by managing staff health, encouraging passengers and crew to stay up to date with vaccinations and by promptly identifying and controlling outbreaks.

The NSW Government encourages the cruise industry to continue its work to reduce the risk of COVID-19 and other outbreaks on voyages, in line with the updated Australian Health Protection Principal Committee’s advice.

Premier of NSW Chris Minns said:

“We need to get life back to normal.

“We have scrapped these rules because they aren’t needed any more.

“Passengers can take their own decisions to look after their health before and during a cruise.

“Cruise companies have been looking after their guests and workers and we encourage them to continue that.

“But this change is needed – we could not remain the only country with these rules for cruising.

“These protocols were important at the time to get the cruising industry going again after COVID. They were never meant to remain forever.”

Minister for Tourism John Graham said:

"The 2023 winter cruise season in Sydney is on track to be one of the strongest on record and it is fantastic even more people can now participate.

“These protocols were important after COVID but were not intended to continue in perpetuity and I thank the sector for how they have handled the additional requirements placed upon them.

“The decision to bring the sector in line with other forms of travel is a sensible way to give visitors an unforgettable and safe experience across NSW’s beautiful coastline.”

Minister for Health Ryan Park said:

“The decision to repeal the cruise protocols is supported by NSW Health advice and NSW Health will continue to work with the cruise industry to minimise health risks to passengers as much as possible.

“The NSW Government remains committed to safeguarding public health and ensuring that policies are adapted in response to changing circumstances.

“I am confident that the cruise industry will continue to prioritise the health and safety of passengers, crew, and the broader community.”

Edited by arxcards
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

NZ dropped theirs some time ago. As long as the ship didn't visit an Australian port (including Norfolk Island), passengers didn't require vaccination. There was some mention that P&O were still requiring it for the current Pacific Explorer season, but not a NZ requirement.

Oh, okay, this release was dated 24/08/2023, so I presume it was as reaction to the Aus govt change of protocol, as it now doesn't mention travellers from Australia.

31 minutes ago, Belmont Babe said:

So, there you go!

Belmont Babe, I did check before I posted Australia was the only country with covid rules for cruising but if you know others I will stand corrected. 

2 hours ago, jland said:

Sky news reporting NSW premier has signed off on scraping covid rules on cruise ships. 

I wouldn't take Sky News as a reliable source, but it is also being reported elsewhere. This is from The Australian newspaper today:

"On Monday, the NSW government announced it had formally signed paperwork that removed the rules from the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols, which also covers travellers embarking from Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

Mr Minns said it was time to “get life back to normal”.

5 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I wouldn't take Sky News as a reliable source, but it is also being reported elsewhere. This is from The Australian newspaper today:

"On Monday, the NSW government announced it had formally signed paperwork that removed the rules from the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols, which also covers travellers embarking from Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

I have posted Chris Minns' press release, which is where Sky News (and everyone else) is reporting from. Today, Sky News is on the mark.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, Twonomads said:

Does anyone have a clue if Australia will  change their covid protocol for unvaccinated cruisers by November 1st 2023?  

For the OP. It has changed today, but it might take a few days for the cruise lines to update their systems. Looks like you are good to go.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I wouldn’t take any news outlet as a reliable source these days. It was only because Premier Minns was quoted that I posted the news.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

I was looking for the official word last night, but it was thrown up in the dead of night. Media release.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/lifting-of-covid-cruise-ship-protocols

The NSW Premier Chris Minns has ended COVID rules for cruising as the industry prepares for a busy summer.

It looks like according to the media release that you posted, pre-cruise testing has been dropped in NSW.  I would hope all the Australian states drop pre-cruise testing because it would be confusing to passengers and the cruise lines to have different protocols depending on where your cruise leaves from in Australia.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Won't Queensland have to sign off on it too? The other states too?

That is also what I’m wondering! We are leaving on the 11th Sept on Ponant for a Kimberley cruise & I’m wondering if we will need to do a RAT to get onboard? We are fully (5 shots) vaccinated. 🙂

5 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

It looks like according to the media release that you posted, pre-cruise testing has been dropped in NSW.  I would hope all the Australian states drop pre-cruise testing because it would be confusing to passengers and the cruise lines to have different protocols depending on where your cruise leaves from in Australia.

It is for all states. The shared protocols are gone, agreed by all of the states. 

Each state has their own health department, and always applied their own requirements prior to covid. This is likely to be a yes/no survey, and be similar from state to state

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It is for all states. The shared protocols are gone, agreed by all of the states. 

Each state has their own health department, and always applied their own requirements prior to covid. This is likely to be a yes/no survey, and be similar from state to state

So what you are saying is you might have to fill out a survey saying you are negative and you took a test within 24 hours?

Just now, bazzaw said:

OK - so which cruises out of Sydney and Brisbane will be the first to be affected by these changes?? 

Technically, the next ones to depart. How that work in a practical sense around the cruise lines adjusting whatever they need to - no idea.

1 minute ago, habitatnal said:

So what you are saying is you might have to fill out a survey saying you are negative and you took a test within 24 hours?

More broad than that. No test required, but a general health form will ask you about any flu or gastro symptoms you may have recently had. The response is usually in the form of a fact sheet of how to manage any symptoms you may have.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

More broad than that. No test required, but a general health form will ask you about any flu or gastro symptoms you may have recently had. The response is usually in the form of a fact sheet of how to manage any symptoms you may have.

That makes sense.  I have filled out a form like that for cruises in the US.

• Like 1