South Island NZ Temperatures in Early January

Can anyone tell me if I will need a jacket for the South Island of New Zealand in early January? I've looked at historical temperatures and they're all over the place. I'll be all over the South Island, both cruising and on land, and trying to pack light, so needing to figure out if a jacket is necessary, or if just having layers will be sufficient.

To put it in context. Milford is just about always cold and rains a LOT. The central South Island has the hottest records in the country and can be parched and very dry. Christchurch (about the middle of the South Island.. but near the coast).. can be sweltering some days.. with mild evenings.. but by the same token.. a couple of years back we lit the log-fire on boxing day! Most kiwis wouldn't bother taking a jacket.. but many Aussies visiting might (given it's warmer over there and they're acclimitised accordingly). Take a light jacket - just for possible rain. You won't need a big heavy one (you can rug up when cruising through Milford). Other than that though.. go for layers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For cruising the sounds last winter (ok, summer down there!) we brought the packable down jackets and were glad we did.  Highs probably 40's, light mist at times.  It was spectacular.  I guess several light layers might work just fine.

The rest of our cruise to the South Island the weather was very nice, 65-75.  I usually started out with a light jacket but didn't need it except at the start of our tours.  This was early to mid March.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

For cruising the sounds last winter (ok, summer down there!) we brought the packable down jackets and were glad we did.  Highs probably 40's, light mist at times.  It was spectacular.  I guess several light layers might work just fine.

The rest of our cruise to the South Island the weather was very nice, 65-75.  I usually started out with a light jacket but didn't need it except at the start of our tours.  This was early to mid March.

Our last cruise to Fjordland pre covid, in the middle of November, we started the day off with thick jackets, beanie, scarf and gloves. By 11am we were down to light pants and T-shirt and then by late afternoon, we were rugged up again. 

• Thanks 2