Super organised - all speciality dining and shows booked for Iona at the stroke of midnight!

bronzevernis

7 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

Is there a forum for P&O and their passengers?  If not could there be?  Bus and rail certainly have them.

Issues like advanced booking could be discussed with a cross section of cruisers.  Where issues are flagged then P&O can say this can be fixed, this can be partially fixed or this can’t be fixed.  I find the latter is equally as important as the fixed as at least then everyone knows where they stand. 

When you say forum you mean something which P&O willingly enter into alongside the passengers?  They have a presence on X (formerly known as Twitter) and Facebook but I do not know of any specific channel apart from these where P&O interact with their passengers. Most of the replies from P&O on these two outlets deal with very bland problems, nothing contentious or in dispute is ever replied to.

I would agree a discussion forum or group which P&O actively join in with could  go some way to obtaining answers on these types of issue.  Many years ago I was secretary to my local rail user group so do indeed know the benefits of such organisations.  Ironically back in 2013 when I joined CC I actually thought that it was such a group accredited by the cruise lines, but apart from some interaction with Princess who I understand do have people who monitor and read these boards, the cruise lines appear to have no interest in the contents.

P&O along with most of the cruise lines appear to wish to have no interaction in a public forum with their passengers and as a result the latter are very often left to feel like they are trapped in a washing machine on a continual spin cycle!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

P&O along with most of the cruise lines appear to wish to have no interaction in a public forum with their passengers and as a result the latter are very often left to feel like they are trapped in a washing machine on a continual spin cycle!

I think I can guess why cruise lines are reluctant to engage on fora such as these and I don't blame them at all.  What is the upside for them given the disdain which virtually all changes, decisions, innovations, 'official' pronouncements or interactions with cruise line staff seem to attract?  They would end up in a continual spin cycle of no-win discussions with a tiny unrepresentative minority of their passenger load that is predominantly focused on the negative.  I suspect they prefer to get feedback regarding their product live on their ships and in follow-up surveys which will hopefully provide them a far broader and more accurate and balanced picture of how customers experience their product than a forum like this ever will.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I think I can guess why cruise lines are reluctant to engage on fora such as these and I don't blame them at all.  What is the upside for them given the disdain which virtually all changes, decisions, innovations, 'official' pronouncements or interactions with cruise line staff seem to attract?  They would end up in a continual spin cycle of no-win discussions with a tiny unrepresentative minority of their passenger load that is predominantly focused on the negative.  I suspect they prefer to get feedback regarding their product live on their ships and in follow-up surveys which will hopefully provide them a far broader and more accurate and balanced picture of how customers experience their product than a forum like this ever will.  

This is a good and valid point.  I work in the transport industry and read relevant forums, I’m a lurker there.  There is much speculation and assumptions about why things are done and changed and in general any changes are met with disdain as you say and “not how I would have done it”.  Things such as political landscape, resources, budgets, regulations and rules are not always considered or thought about.  There are however snippets of information that are useful and prompt me to make changes or correct something.  I also find there are two opinions on said forum, drivers opinions and the wrong one.

I do deal with user groups and internal industry forums and find these more productive and positive as we take the time to explain and show why things can or can’t be done.  If they can’t be done we have a discussion as to when it could be done or why it is unlikely to be done.  As ever you can’t please all the people all the time and setting expectations is key.  But open and transparent communication can work with the right and realistic people. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

I do deal with user groups and internal industry forums and find these more productive and positive as we take the time to explain and show why things can or can’t be done.  If they can’t be done we have a discussion as to when it could be done or why it is unlikely to be done.  As ever you can’t please all the people all the time and setting expectations is key.  But open and transparent communication can work with the right and realistic people. 

I think a user group / focus group would be a far better idea than cruise lines participating in these forums.  Given that, as a generalisation, those who post here probably tend to the more experienced end of the spectrum, they may well offer useful insights. But, I think it would be far easier (and more productive) to glean those by inviting perhaps 10 or 20 of the regulars to participate in an interactive webinar / Teams meeting or similar with a couple of execs once a year than it would be for those execs to enter into the sort of lions den forums such as this represent.

And if those execs want to feel the 'pulse' of their passengers, I sense that they will stick to surveys and direct contact from travellers to customer services, on and off the ship.  You may have a better idea than me what the average response rate is to those surveys and what % of passengers contact customer services. But, even if it is only 10%, that would give a line like P&O about 2500 insights per fortnight into their passengers' unique experiences on their ships.  And another 2500 unique insights the next fortnight etc.  Participating on these boards might give them the view of a maximum of 100 passengers per fortnight.  And the next fortnight, the views would be from pretty much the same 100 passengers.  So, I can see the value in seeking their views in an occasional 'focus' group, but no benefit for the line from entering the fray regularly on a public forum.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

By forum I do mean an official user group with a small select group / cross section. Not this sort of online forum. 

As I said that would be a good idea.  I wasn't, as seems to have been assumed, suggesting the cruise lines partake in online forums such as this, merely pointing out that many when joining CC think it's an "official" channel and that the cruise lines read the content. 

The various individual sections of CC give the impression of being very much "close communities" rather than proper discussion outlets, in the P&O board case even like a group of personal friends.  Nothing wrong with that but it tends to lead to the same old stories, problems just recycling every few months and certain personalities arguing and disagreeing with each other over who is correct.  This then leads to valid points being lost in the opposing diametrics.  All very entertaining, especially for the mischief makers who are currently not posting on the forum, but not really achieving much.  However genuine newcomers not knowing the personalities involved may find it very offputting and not want to risk stating an opinion.  

In recent times there has very much been a well I had a great time, it didn't happen to me etc approach and anyone expressing a view that their experience was different has often found themselves accused of causing alarm for others or nitpicking.  CruisingMark is totally correct in his reasoning of why this forum would be of little or no use to the cruise line.

That said the head in the sand approach to their customers by the cruise lines can at times be breathtaking.  The situation Presto2 is trying to get an answer to is a case in point.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a uniform answer across operations on the entire fleet (with exceptions that can be explained where necessary) for a simple thing like booking a restaurant, the Retreat, dates of release of bookings for special events, seat release on aircraft etc yet she has had completely different information on every attempt to clarify her position.  It's service like that which P&O could seek to address via a proper forum then everyone would know clearly what the position is rather than having to check constantly by calling, emailing etc.  The dining options on my cruise (I'm actually on the same one as Presto2) have changed six times since I booked in May.  I'm not too worried as it's not a special occasion cruise for me, for others it could be make or break of having s dream special holiday.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's what I said today to PO. We have been sold a cruise on the understanding that we can book select venues before we sail. It is on their sales pitch as you wait for someone to speak to you so have now heard it what seems like 100 times.

On Britannia at the moment we can not and seems unlikely that we will be able to. Due to flight times we will arrive last and it is likely that there will not be any select dining times left. Is this not a major change that is not our fault ?

As you will probably notice I am on a mission with this one as it so unfair to those of us on Britannia.... especially if you have paid a select fare. 

An anecdote.

On my last P&O cruise - Azura last Sept - I noticed that Epicurian was not listed in Horizon. I assumed that it was closed as it had been some time previously due to staff shortages. But on passing the door one evening I nticed that it was open and full. On enquiring I was informed that it had been fully booked for the whole cruise before embarkation day so was pointless to list it in Horizon as booking onboard was not possible. It was intimated that many people had made multiple bookings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, let's add more grist to the mill!!

Following on from Presto2's attempts to book the Retreat in advance look what's just dropped into my inbox!  Needless to say if I click to follow the link to book it says "Enquire on Board".  A swift call - only 25 minutes waiting(!) - to P&O I'm told no you've never been able to book Retreat in advance on any of our ships.

The Retreat

Your sanctuary for relaxation, this outdoor refuge is nestled in an exclusive, adult‑only deck area. Refreshments including teas and coffees are included in your experience, as well as a healthy eating menu featuring top‑quality ingredients available throughout the day. Numbers are limited, so the atmosphere is serene and sophisticated with luxurious surroundings including panoramic ocean views, The Retreat is the height of grown‑up sophistication and indulgence

Book now http://emails.pocruises.com/files/amf_blueberry_wave/project_1034/Email_31/button-arrow.png

Edited by Megabear2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well, let's add more grist to the mill!!

Following on from Presto2's attempts to book the Retreat in advance look what's just dropped into my inbox!  Needless to say if I click to follow the link to book it says "Enquire on Board".  A swift call - only 25 minutes waiting(!) - to P&O I'm told no you've never been able to book Retreat in advance on any of our ships.

The Retreat

Your sanctuary for relaxation, this outdoor refuge is nestled in an exclusive, adult‑only deck area. Refreshments including teas and coffees are included in your experience, as well as a healthy eating menu featuring top‑quality ingredients available throughout the day. Numbers are limited, so the atmosphere is serene and sophisticated with luxurious surroundings including panoramic ocean views, The Retreat is the height of grown‑up sophistication and indulgence

Book now http://emails.pocruises.com/files/amf_blueberry_wave/project_1034/Email_31/button-arrow.png

A 7 day pass for the Retreat is showing as available to book for our cruise. It’s been available to book for a while now. £140 for 7 days. I don’t thinks it’s worth doing for a fjords cruise as the weather is quite changeable in Norway. 

• Like 1

The Retreat - 14 Day Cruise Pass

0'
Your sanctuary for relaxation, this outdoor refuge is nestled in an exclusive, adult-only deck area. Take in the fresh air and panoramic ocean views, refresh...
FIND OUT MORE

Please enquire on board

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The Retreat - 14 Day Cruise Pass

0'
Your sanctuary for relaxation, this outdoor refuge is nestled in an exclusive, adult-only deck area. Take in the fresh air and panoramic ocean views, refresh...
FIND OUT MORE

Please enquire on board

So frustrating for you.
The person telling you that it’s never been available to book in advance across the fleet is clearly very inexperienced…..🙄

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

That's not good that you have been told that @Megabear2. We know that many passengers book the retreat before sailing. I just read on the Arvia retreat pricing thread a passenger has been able to book the retreat for their 2 week Britannia cruise in December!!

That's interesting. I've specifically been told now that there is an IT glitch with Britannia bookings. Clearly not it would seem!

Looks like I'm going to have to try again.  I'm growing a bit tired of all this.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

The select dining venues on Britannia in May that could be booked prior to sailing were Epicurean and Sindhu, but the Glass House and Beach House were "enquire onboard". Can you not book any at all before sailing now?

Our June 2nd cruise on Britannia did not offer us the opportunity to book speciality restaurants on line it was 

Enquire on Board.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

An anecdote.

On my last P&O cruise - Azura last Sept - I noticed that Epicurian was not listed in Horizon. I assumed that it was closed as it had been some time previously due to staff shortages. But on passing the door one evening I nticed that it was open and full. On enquiring I was informed that it had been fully booked for the whole cruise before embarkation day so was pointless to list it in Horizon as booking onboard was not possible. It was intimated that many people had made multiple bookings.

Think I'll stick to the buffet next time I'm on P&O. 🤣

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Denarius said:

An anecdote.

Perhaps if they charged a bit more for the cruise, served better quality food in the MDR and reduced the long waiting times then people would not feel the need for multiple bookings in speciality dining.

19 hours ago, Gumpxyz said:

Do you mind me asking how much these speciality dining restaurants cost? Are they all a set price per person like someone mentioned for Epicurean earlier in the thread?

If booked in advance:

Epicurean: £24pp  - nothing further to pay

Sindhu: £10pp which is offset against your dinner bill.

Beach House: £7.50 pp 

Afternoon tea in Epicurean: £14pp

Norway Taster Menu: £24pp

I think you can benefit from a further discount if you are a Peninsular Club member. We're not as this is our first cruise

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Perhaps if they charged a bit more for the cruise, served better quality food in the MDR and reduced the long waiting times then people would not feel the need for multiple bookings in speciality dining.

I would happily go back to when there were no speciality restaurants when the MDR food was far superior to now and we had proper wine waiters and silver service, although I am probably in a minority. Dinner then was a far better experience than it is now.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, purplesea said:

I am on Brtiannia in about 3 weeks, and having just checked My P&O and The Retreat is bookable.

we're on Azura for 3 weeks soon and all that is showing is a 28 day pass to be booked onboard! No use to us whatsoever. I quite fancy booking it for the final week or our cruise as we have 4 sea days in that week. I'll  "enquire on board" and hopefully be able to use up some OBC.