Disembarkation

Smitheroo

23 minutes ago, RedRover96 said:

Years ago, flying or cruising with checked bags I use small bright colored zip ties (like 3") can also use on non lockable zippers.  I have a cheap pair of wire cutters I leave in a checked bag pocket that I can cut them off. 

LOL! This reminded me of many many moons ago when I was flying with a suitcase and "locked" it with zip ties (only to be able to see if it had been tampered with - not really thinking it's safe). There was a long wait on the airport before being able to get rid of the bag, and I decided to get something out of the bag. Only I didn't have anything to cut with. My pair of scissors were inside the bag. 😮 
I now have a small pair of scissors in an outer pocket of said suitcase. 

(At the time I could borrow a pair from a check-in-counter-person who found the situation very amusing. I'm always happy to bring smiles on other people's faces.)

• Like 2

Regardless of how anyone feels about the security of leaving bags outside their doors (it's obvious most of you don't have a problem with it)...here's another angle:

On the Escape, we had to leave our bags outside of our door. Okay...easier said than done, when your cabin door opens to the OUTSIDE. It wasn't easy trying to fit the bags in the little nook outside the door and then shut the door from the inside. And if you had to leave your cabin, your bags were up against the door. Major pain...

And before anyone says that cabin doors open to the inside...not all of them do. We had this discussion on another thread many moons ago. Cabin 11214 on the Escape has the cabin door opening to the outside.

19 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I normally disembark with my luggage. I just don't like having a set time.  I had a huge suitcase that was heavy and a backpack but I preferred that over having to have a set time. You had to be out of the cabin by 8:00 AM and off the ship by 9:00 AM. I was on deck 5 (the cheap deck lol) which was the same deck for disembarking so never took the elevator for it. I had an early breakfast at the buffet and then joined a friend for breakfast #2 at the main dining room at around 8:15 (the room attendant was fine with me leaving my luggage in the room a bit longer since it was ready to go anyway and I think they clean these rooms last since we aren't the guests paying more $$$$). It's nice having breakfast in the dining room on the day you disembark. We were the only ones there aside from 1 other table. 

This is good to know. I can handle those times  lol.

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Regardless of how anyone feels about the security of leaving bags outside their doors (it's obvious most of you don't have a problem with it)...here's another angle:

On the Escape, we had to leave our bags outside of our door. Okay...easier said than done, when your cabin door opens to the OUTSIDE. It wasn't easy trying to fit the bags in the little nook outside the door and then shut the door from the inside. And if you had to leave your cabin, your bags were up against the door. Major pain...

And before anyone says that cabin doors open to the inside...not all of them do. We had this discussion on another thread many moons ago. Cabin 11214 on the Escape has the cabin door opening to the outside.

Do you have to put your bags out that early that it would impact you leaving the cabin?  I dont remember enountering luggage.   Also couldnt you just push against the luggage with the door you are trying to open out and ,assuming your luggage is on wheels as most are these days, it would move out into the aisle. Then you close door behind you and push the luggage back into the nook. 

5 hours ago, Asawi said:

LOL! This reminded me of many many moons ago when I was flying with a suitcase and "locked" it with zip ties (only to be able to see if it had been tampered with - not really thinking it's safe). There was a long wait on the airport before being able to get rid of the bag, and I decided to get something out of the bag. Only I didn't have anything to cut with. My pair of scissors were inside the bag. 😮 
I now have a small pair of scissors in an outer pocket of said suitcase. 

(At the time I could borrow a pair from a check-in-counter-person who found the situation very amusing. I'm always happy to bring smiles on other people's faces.)

I always put anything of importance or value in my hand carried luggage.  Good luck to anyone who thinks they are going to have any use for anything in my checked bag.  The suitcase is probably more valuable, so that would be a loss.

7 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

What??

How do you push the luggage back into the nook from inside the cabin???

That's the problem with the outward opening door.

You just do what my totally clueless neighbors did once. They put their luggage in front of my door!

Fortunately it wasn't an outward door. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You just do what my totally clueless neighbors did once. They put their luggage in front of my door!

Fortunately it wasn't an outward door. 

They probably had an outward opening door and didn't want to deal with it.

Trust me, I know from experience (and having tried to contort myself to reach out the door and pull a suitcase against an open door...while trying to close the door at the same time, with your arm wedged in the open door space) that it's not easy...especially at my age. And to do two big suitcases at once...when you can only barely reach one? Yeah, right. Wheels, or no wheels...

Edited by schmoopie17

16 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Trust me, I know from experience (and having tried to contort myself to reach out the door and pull a suitcase against an open door...while trying to close the door at the same time, with your arm wedged in the open door space) that it's not easy...especially at my age. And to do two big suitcases at once...when you can only barely reach one? Yeah, right. Wheels, or no wheels...

First, you're asking for trouble bring two large suitcases. Maybe it all depends on which way the door opens and I cant remember with our cabin but we did have 2 large suircases and I dont recall a problem.  I am 72 years old so no advantage there.

Edited by Smitheroo

32 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

What??

How do you push the luggage back into the nook from inside the cabin???

That's the problem with the outward opening door.

I agree that does sound like a problem. I would leave it where I could and let someone else push it into the nook

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

That’s why smart people put the luggage in the hall, not in the nook. 

17 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

First, you're asking for trouble bring two large suitcases. 

Seriously...asking for trouble by bringing two large suitcases? How dare us!! I mean nobody brings large suitcases on a cruise, right? All those porters have nothing to do...

Considering we were on a 16 day transatlantic with a few days in Europe on both ends, would you suggest we bring backpacks?

7 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Seriously...asking for trouble by bringing two large suitcases? How dare us!! I mean nobody brings large suitcases on a cruise, right? All those porters have nothing to do...

Considering we were on a 16 day transatlantic with a few days in Europe on both ends, would you suggest we bring backpacks?

I think I misunderstood that you took 2 large suitcases EACH.  I agree, one a piece was to be expected, we did the same.  We didnt have any problems putting ours out in the hall though.  Maybe it was the door

I wish we could answer questions on this forum without the added sarcasm. Is it really necesary?  How about "we were on a TA with a few days before and after so needed that amount of luggage"

Edited by Smitheroo

Just now, Smitheroo said:

I think I misunderstood that you took 2 large suitcases EACH.  I agree, one a piece was to be expected, we did the same.  We didnt have any problems putting ours out in the hall though.  Maybe it was the door

I really wish we could answer questions without the added sarcasm.  as in "we needed that amount of luggage because we were on a TA with a few days before an after"  

My first cruise I had scheduled my own transfer/excursion and self disembarked because of the timing. Those who waited for luggage were late but our bus was able to wait. The next cruise I have no rush so I’ll let the cruise line move my luggage probably. For my TA I’m using NCLs transfer so they can take care of it. Keep in mind I can carry all my luggage easily down several flights of stairs, just make sure to wear the right shoes.