Rocky Mountaineer cancellled

Due to wildfires in British Columbia we are unable to do our RM two day trip .Part of our booking with Regent. 
We were emailed last night and will not know anything until 7am Banff time when we meet in hotel lobby. So unsure how we will get to Vancouver. 
We do have two lovely Regent reps with us so I’m sure it will be sorted. 
Thinking of  all the people  involved in the fires. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@janecambridge I'm sorry to read this but yes, having read the reports from British Columbia, I wasn't surprised when I saw the title of your post.  Like you, our hearts are with those affected. We spent a happy day in Kelowna some years ago - seeing such a familiar place name in the news makes it somehow more real, doesn't it?  Nevertheless, it's disappointing for you.  Here's hoping that your plans are soon sorted and you get to Vancouver safely.

Edited by Gilly

Yes, i am afraid it is very ugly in our beautiful valley right now. So far we have been lucky and only suffered the horrible air quality but are keeping a close eye on winds etc and ready to evacuate on short notice. 

My guess is they will fly you to Vancouver from Calgary because if they are concerned about the train, i wouldn't think they want to bus you. That may depend on how many people are involved and Regent finding accomadation in Vancouver for the extra nights. 

Sorry you have missed the train. The scenery is quite beautiful. Have a wonderful cruise. 

2 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Yes, i am afraid it is very ugly in our beautiful valley right now. So far we have been lucky and only suffered the horrible air quality but are keeping a close eye on winds etc and ready to evacuate on short notice. 

I hope you don't have any worse. We're getting your smoke down here in Oregon, but not nowhere as bad as you have it. I mourn for the beautiful mountains and valleys of BC 😢.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Yes, i am afraid it is very ugly in our beautiful valley right now. So far we have been lucky and only suffered the horrible air quality but are keeping a close eye on winds etc and ready to evacuate on short notice

That sounds awfully scary @1982CruzStart    I hope that evacuation notice doesn't arrive.  Stay safe.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if parts of the Trans Canada Highway is closed.  And the RM goes through Kamloops, which although I don't believe it's at risk, it must be darned smokey, and the route to the east probably go right through some of the areas of active fires.

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

That sounds awfully scary @1982CruzStart    I hope that evacuation notice doesn't arrive.  Stay safe.

I hope so too.  We are doing our best to stay positive and hope the fires don't turn in our direction.  

My apologies to janecambridge for hijacking her thread. 

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. 

So sorry to here this. We have camped at the lake several times over the years. We make the trip from Texas to buy the area’s a Tiger Blue Cheese and enjoy the countryside.

Stay safe….

1 minute ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Great cheese and the countryside is lovely as well. Wine not too bad either. 

How could I forget the wine especially When served with some pear and Tiger Blue pizza😋!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sapphire45 said:

Monitoring the situation closely. We're flying to Calgary from the UK on the 1st Sept to hopefully join the Rocky Mountaineer on the 3rd. Our TA is going to speak with Regent daily to keep up with the latest situation.

Oh wow, fingers crossed for you. A lot can happen in ten days but it's not looking good right now.

17 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Oh wow, fingers crossed for you. A lot can happen in ten days but it's not looking good right now.

So far so good. Our TA has been in contact with Regent and the booking still stands as originally booked. Like you say a lot can happen in 10 days so will def keep our fingers crossed!!

At the end of the day though we can cope with any changes that need to be made. Of course we will be disappointed if we don't get to experience the Rocky Mountaineer but our hearts go out to all those impacted by the fires

We had a visit from tropical storm Hilary overnight and at least in our area things have improved. We can actually see more than just across the street. Hopefully the rain reached farther north and provided some much needed relief to the firefighters and people affected. 

• Like 1

So today we board Explorer. Boy are we ready to have fun. 5 days of going backwards and forwards in coaches and planes. 
Regent and Rocky mountaineer have done well really in the circumstances, just think we maybe  could  have heard the day before embarkation of train as it turns out people were bussed most of their way along the track then. 
I believe there are rains around Kamloops so hopefully it will be less stressful for residents snd firefighters.