Changes Since 2022?

JamieLogical

14 minutes ago, What A Market said:

I’ve missed your live threads on the Celebrity boards!

We did ABC islands on the Apex.  It may have been our first post-Covid trip. Also first time on E class ship. Had a great time.

I did a live blog of my MSC sailings in April, if you want to read what that was like.

My view traveling in both suites and non-suites is if you go into the cruise with an a-la-carte purchase view you will be fine. If you think you have pre-paid for everything you will have moments of being disappointed. The Premium Selections in MDR are a good example of still available, but at a cost. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Are you able to answer my specific questions about turndown service and room service? Disappointing to hear there is no more lobster in the MDR and that duck was only available as an extra option not on the menu.

We were on the Eclipse for 33 days this past spring on a TP cruise from Sydney to Vancouver and we had turndown service every night in our AQ cabin. However, we don't order room service, so I have nothing to add regarding that.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Eclipse in February and the Edge in March.

Stateroom serviced twice a day--- chocolate on pillows every night.

Did not call for room service and didn't notice any cutbacks on the MDR menus

Food, service, ambiance, was the same ( IMO ) as it was prior to Covid.

Specialty restaurants -- Murano and Rooftop Garden excellent as was Tuscan Grill in the am for breakfast #2 . 

The selections on both ships in the MDR at lunch --- very good variety -- excellent , hard working service staff .

The only thing we didn't like on the Edge was the IV ( Infinite Verandah ). The verandah extends the room by about 3 ft and has a window that opens 1/2 way down-- it's not a balcony per say. 

( There are several threads on this topic ) 

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just first the pillow chocolate was reduced, it’s left first and last night and you have to request it for the other nights 

We had turn down service and chocolate on the pillow every night on Apex in July. 

2 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

JamieLogical,

I guess by reading your posts you are sailing MSC cruises quit a bit. Dumb question? What do you find appealing on MSC? What do you like? What do you dislike? Not being sarcastic just curious.

Well, I have only sailed MSC twice so far. The main attraction for me initially was that one of my solo cruiser best friends @ESCARGO was sailing on the maiden voyage out of Brooklyn once the Meraviglia started home porting there. That was the 4/22 sailing. After reluctantly agreeing to join him and two of our other solo cruise friends on that sailing, my husband and I decided to do the repositioning cruise that left from Port Canaveral, went to Dominican Republic, Aruba, and Curacao before ending in Brooklyn. That was the 4/08 sailing.

I had a great time on both sailings. I had read a LOT of negative reviews of MSC, so I had low expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The things I loved about MSC were the price, the crew, the included wifi speed, the included drink package, the staterooms, the pizza and fresh mozzarella in the buffet, the fact that the buffet stayed open straight through breakfast and lunch, the specialty coffee being available at all the bars, the fact they included room service breakfast (NCL doesn't anymore), and the fact they still have evening turn down service (NCL doesn't anymore). Plus they have lobster in the MDR, which NCL never had as long as I've been cruising.

The only things I disliked about MSC really were the muster drill (though still way better than any pre-COVID muster), the assigned dining times in the MDR, the lack of bar service in the MDRs (only wine available), the fact that you aren't even allowed to bring a drink into the main theater (much less have one served to you), and the shoreside customer service.

Overall, the reason I am sailing MSC for my next three cruises is the value for the price. What you get included for the price just can't be beaten. The real challenge for me cruising MSC long-term is the lack of unique and interesting itineraries in the western hemisphere. While we are both working, it is challenging for us to get enough time off in one block to travel to another continent for a cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Great! Thanks so much for the feedback. Did you book a balcony or haven? 

For the first sailing I was in an Aurea Balcony Suite and for the second I was in a Fantastica Balcony. For my upcoming sailings I am in a Fantastica Balcony.

Edited by JamieLogical

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I have been spending all of my time over on the MSC boards, as I sailed MSC twice in April and have upcoming cruises with them in September, October, and February. We are just now starting to plan what we want to do in May/June and I was looking at an ABC Islands sailing on the Beyond.

Great Itinerary 🚢

Edited by horseymike

I think I am going to stick with MSC for our Spring 2024 cruise. After pricing out the Beyond vs. the Seascape, we can be in a Whirlpool Suite on the Seascape for $1000 less overall than a porthole balcony on the Beyond. The itinerary isn't as good for sure, but how can you beat your own hot tub on your balcony?