Rome port Civitavecchia

question221

Has anyone rented a car from the RC dock in Rome - Civitavecchia - and used the rental car to do a bit of sightseeing and going to the Rome Airport.  We have a late night flight and we will have luggage.  My concern is getting to the rental car agency with the bags.  Not sure if it is easy to get a cab from the cruise port.  Don't want to walk with bags.  Would love to hear any experiences.  I think Avis and Hertz might both have a rental agency there.

Probably an easier solution would be building a private tour with one of the many vendors discussed here. We have used the wonderful Rome in Limo.

The reason I say that is if you intend to go to anywhere near Rome, driving and parking restrictions will choke you.

Not on subject but I can't find an answer at the Civitavecchia port's website.  Is there a wine/liquor store at the port?  I'm hoping we don't have to carry bottles too far with our carry ons.  TIA!

Edited by ninjacat123
more info :)

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Not on subject but I can't find an answer at the Civitavecchia port's website.  Is there a wine/liquor store at the port?  I'm hoping we don't have to carry bottles too far with our carry ons.  TIA!

At the port, no. On the city streets outside of the port, yes.

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

At the port, no. On the city streets outside of the port, yes.

Good to know!  I was hoping that we could purchase after we got off the train at the port.  Is there a store for liquor and a store for wine or are they sold in the same store?  TIA!

While you can find hard liquor in Italy, don't expect a wide variety of choices, it's not as popular there as in the States.

Wine is available in wine shops and grocery stores, I think I remember seeing liquor in the grocery store as well but I'm not positive.

If you're coming in from Rome, you'll find a better selection there.  It might make sense to buy it and carry it with you to Civitavecchia.

As for wine, are you looking for "better" wines, or everyday bottles?  If the later, there's a Todi's store very close to the Largo della Pace port shuttle bus stop (Via Isonzo #8).  It's open 8 AM - 8 PM every day except Sunday, when it closes at 1 PM.

You can see the current weekly promotion leaflet here:  Volantino Todis | Regione Lazio

They've got a bottle of wine on sale for 2,89 euro!  There are several more on pages 13 & 15.  I don't see any liquors in the ad but that doesn't mean they don't sell them.

• Thanks 1

For fine wines (and possibly liquor) you can check:

• Enoteca Cavacini, Via Gorizia, 2 

Facebook page:  Enoteca Cavacini | Civitavecchia | Facebook

• Antica Salumeria Enoteca Sebastiani dal 1840, Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi, 5 

Expect the second place to be much more expensive.  You can reach out to each on line and ask about liquor availability.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

For fine wines (and possibly liquor) you can check:

• Enoteca Cavacini, Via Gorizia, 2 

Facebook page:  Enoteca Cavacini | Civitavecchia | Facebook

• Antica Salumeria Enoteca Sebastiani dal 1840, Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi, 5 

Expect the second place to be much more expensive.  You can reach out to each on line and ask about liquor availability.

According to their website, Enoteca Sebastiani does sell a wide variety of liquor. As they say, from whisky to cognac. It does seem to cater to the higher price range.

Photos of Enoteca Cavacini also show some liquor bottles. 

Edited by marazul

6 minutes ago, marazul said:

According to their website, Enoteca Sebastiani does sell a wide variety of liquor. As they say, from whisky to cognac. It does seem to cater to the higher price range.

Photos of Enoteca Cavacini also show some liquor bottles. 

I bet the prices would be lower than buying liquor onboard.  Thanks for the info!!

58 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

While you can find hard liquor in Italy, don't expect a wide variety of choices, it's not as popular there as in the States.

Wine is available in wine shops and grocery stores, I think I remember seeing liquor in the grocery store as well but I'm not positive.

If you're coming in from Rome, you'll find a better selection there.  It might make sense to buy it and carry it with you to Civitavecchia.

As for wine, are you looking for "better" wines, or everyday bottles?  If the later, there's a Todi's store very close to the Largo della Pace port shuttle bus stop (Via Isonzo #8).  It's open 8 AM - 8 PM every day except Sunday, when it closes at 1 PM.

You can see the current weekly promotion leaflet here:  Volantino Todis | Regione Lazio

They've got a bottle of wine on sale for 2,89 euro!  There are several more on pages 13 & 15.  I don't see any liquors in the ad but that doesn't mean they don't sell them.

I love the Todi ads!!  Makes me want to move to Italy so I can grocery shop there!🥰

4 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Is there a cruise line that allows you to bring your own liquor on board?

Yes, Carnival.  According to many Cruise Critic members, in Europe a passenger is allowed to bring on wine and liquor.  Carnival cruises in the Caribbean, only a bottle of wine per adult is allowed at Embarkation.  This has been verified by many Carnival cruisers on Europe cruises this summer.  Now watch, they'll change their protocol and I'll be at Embarkation with a bottle of vodka.🙃

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 7:01 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Probably an easier solution would be building a private tour with one of the many vendors discussed here. We have used the wonderful Rome in Limo.

The reason I say that is if you intend to go to anywhere near Rome, driving and parking restrictions will choke you.

We did exactly this with Rome in Limo in May. Picked up at the Port and driven around Rome before being dropped off at the Rome Marriott Park Hotel for our flight the next day. Wonderful relaxing end to our trip before flying home.