Favorite condiment

lenquixote66

My my my…where to begin?  Louisiana Hot Sauce, ketchup, fifteen types of mustard, A1 Steak Sauce, Major Grey mango chutney, Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, on and on…not to mention my homemade fruit chutney.  If you consider pickles as a condiment then that opens a whole world of possibilities.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

not to mention my homemade fruit chutney.

I'm also a chutney and pickle maker but don't think of them as condiments so didnt mention them. Although there are others, including what I expect to be a very nice beetroot one, tucked away, I have three in use at present - plum, tomato lime & chilli and one the recipe called "Christmas chutney", probably because it only uses dried fruits, like sultanas, apricots, dates, etc, which we commonly associate with Christmas cookery.

Most of the chutneys I make only get used when I make Asian dishes but the Christmas one most often gets used on sandwiches and is similar in texture to Pan Yan, already mentioned, or Branston - both well known British pickles (although Pan Yan hasnt been available here since 2002.)

4 hours ago, Harters said:

I'm also a chutney and pickle maker but don't think of them as condiments so didnt mention them. Although there are others, including what I expect to be a very nice beetroot one, tucked away, I have three in use at present - plum, tomato lime & chilli and one the recipe called "Christmas chutney", probably because it only uses dried fruits, like sultanas, apricots, dates, etc, which we commonly associate with Christmas cookery.

Most of the chutneys I make only get used when I make Asian dishes but the Christmas one most often gets used on sandwiches and is similar in texture to Pan Yan, already mentioned, or Branston - both well known British pickles (although Pan Yan hasnt been available here since 2002.)

Branston Pickle is definitely a condiment.  Pickles really don’t fit the definition but I always view them as a compliment to food.  I forgot to mention pickle relish, peppers pimento and green tomato relish and mayonnaise.  Then we come to all the Indian condiments…lime pickle, mango pickle, egg plant pickle, etc. etc.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Then we come to all the Indian condiments…lime pickle, mango pickle, egg plant pickle, etc. etc.

Being a bit of a softie when it comes to spices I’ve often steered clear of anything too hot but after 4 or 5 months in Burgundy where anything other than traditional spice free French cuisine is the norm I love a jar of lime pickle on its own or maybe with half a dozen poppadoms.

2 hours ago, Lemorvan said:

Being a bit of a softie when it comes to spices I’ve often steered clear of anything too hot but after 4 or 5 months in Burgundy where anything other than traditional spice free French cuisine is the norm I love a jar of lime pickle on its own or maybe with half a dozen poppadoms.

I actually chop up the lime pickle and add just a touch to my fruit chutney along with the mustard it is packed in.  It’s important to get the heat just right.  It should not overpower the chutney.  I also have it with my curry…just a small spoonful along with the chutney, riata and lemon yogurt with banana!