When to buy travel insurance?

dreamboat43

It really depends.   If you need pre-existing condition or cancel for any reason coverage you usually have to buy it within 14-21 days of initial deposit.  There are some policies which have some coverage as long as you buy before final payment.   If you have several cruises booked within a year a annual policy may be better.   You may want to discuss your particular needs with a travel insurance broker, it costs you nothing.   Several are recommended here often.

I have personally discussed my needs with Steve at https://tripinsurancestore.com/

I have also bought through insuremytrip.com

Others recommend squaremouth.com

There is also an insurance specific board which I suspect this thread will be moved to.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Wok2cruise said it well.   The big issue is the health part and pre-exsisting conditions.  When I have a long gap between booking and final payment I usually now buy a quick policy for the value of my deposit and then add to it at final payment.  That was some good advice from the people at The Trip Insurance Store.

One company that was mentioned was squaremouth.com.  I avoid them. The one time I had to file a claim they were just terrible. Paper work got lost, all kinds of extra stuff demanded and until I used the L word, nothing happened.  Avoid them.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Since I want coverage for pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason, I need to buy insurance in 14-21 days of making the initial deposit.

Yes... 

bon voyage

On 8/23/2023 at 12:39 PM, Mr. Click said:

Wok2cruise said it well.   The big issue is the health part and pre-exsisting conditions.  When I have a long gap between booking and final payment I usually now buy a quick policy for the value of my deposit and then add to it at final payment.  That was some good advice from the people at The Trip Insurance Store.

One company that was mentioned was squaremouth.com.  I avoid them. The one time I had to file a claim they were just terrible. Paper work got lost, all kinds of extra stuff demanded and until I used the L word, nothing happened.  Avoid them.

Squaremouth is the broker, not the insurance company, so they aren’t the company processing the claims. 

6 hours ago, Crystabel said:

Squaremouth is the broker, not the insurance company, so they aren’t the company processing the claims. 

I am well aware that they are a broker but they sold the policy they were quick to take the money, when there was a problem they were no where to be found.  The folks at the trip insurance store were more helpful when I went public with my problems and have been very pro-active with anything I have bought since there including getting me refunds of premiums on 3 canceled trips during COVID.   A broker needs to stand behind their sales.

1 hour ago, Mr. Click said:

I am well aware that they are a broker but they sold the policy they were quick to take the money, when there was a problem they were no where to be found.  The folks at the trip insurance store were more helpful when I went public with my problems and have been very pro-active with anything I have bought since there including getting me refunds of premiums on 3 canceled trips during COVID.   A broker needs to stand behind their sales.

You may have known it, but others reading these posts may not. Just clarifying for their benefit. 

3 hours ago, Crystabel said:

You may have known it, but others reading these posts may not. Just clarifying for their benefit. 

A good broker who listens to his clients need and wants and then backs up the sale with great service is worth their weight in gold.  Squaremouth did little but take my money.