Red Eye from San Diego

tarheelmjfan

DH & I want a direct flight, & the only direct, return flight I can find doesn't leave SD until 10:15 pm. We've never taken a red eye flight, & are really clueless about them. What would we do with our luggage? What about entertaining ourselves in SD until it's time to go to the airport? What are the positives and/or negatives to taking a flight this late. As you can see, I'm in desperate need of guidance. I would really appreciate any info. you can provide. :)

DH & I want a direct flight, & the only direct, return flight I can find doesn't leave SD until 10:15 pm.

You might want to check out my post on airline definitions. Is it direct or non-stop that you want? Where are you heading from SAN?

We've never taken a red eye flight, & are really clueless about them. What would we do with our luggage? What about entertaining ourselves in SD until it's time to go to the airport? What are the positives and/or negatives to taking a flight this late.

If you mean between the time you leave the ship and you checkin for the flight - well, you're responsible for your luggage. Assuming you rent a car for the day, you could put it in the trunk! Or you might find a good hotel and tip the bellman to hold the bags. You would check-in for your flight normally - many airlines have a 4 hour window before the flight when they accept bags, though some will take it any time that day. Check with your carrier.

As for what to do, you can go to SeaWorld, visit the San Diego Zoo, go to Tijuana, visit the Cabrillo Natl. Monument for a panoramic view of Coronado and San Diego Harbor. Positives are that you can spend the flight time sleeping and get a "extra" day in SAN. Negatives are that some people can't sleep on a plane, so it's just staying awake in the dark. Also, some people just want to get home ASAP. So specifics depend on the airplane, airline and your itinerary.

the only direct, return flight I can find

In addition to the prior question concerning which airport are you going to, how have you located which flights to choose from? Since you only mention a "return" flight, have you already booked your flight out?

Okay, more info. :) The flight we want is non-stop. (I have to admit that I didn't know there was a difference. :o ) We are flying from Charlotte, NC round-trip, due to our babysitters being in NC. The only airline I could find a non-stop flight with is USAirways. It's my airline of choice anyway. They also have a non-stop flight to SD. I haven't booked it yet either, but that's the flight we want. We would arrive in SD around 7:30 pm, 2 days pre-cruise. The return flight is the one I'm not sure about.

I hope I answered all your questions. If not, let me know. Thanks for your help. :)

If you take the red eye, pick the aisle and window seats, NOT two together. The 10:00PM flight is on an Airbus 320 with 3/3 seating. RECHECK your seats two/three days before your red eye flight. If someone has taken the middle seat, try to move to an aisle/window in another location. IF no one is assigned the middle seat, put up the armrests and enjoy the extra room.

I fly the red-eye out of LAX to NYC once a month. I love flying red eyes. Get to NY rested and ready to work. But there again, I can sleep on airplanes in ANY position.

We rented a car for about $30 for the day, gives us great freedom to see any area of San Diego we want, and we have our luggage with us.

Looked quickly at the schedules and that is the only NS flight I see between those city pairs; its a code share between United and US Air leaving at 10:15, arriving 5:31 am right? You are the only one who can evaluate whether the NS flight is that important to you, especially at that hour. You can fly one stop-change of planes- for about half the cost and not have to take a red eye. Leave 11:40 am, arrive 9:30 pm.

greatam,

Thanks for the tip on seating arrangements. That makes a lot of sense. :)

cherylandtk,

DH refuses to drive on vacation. He drives all over the state for his job. I suppose we could rent a car, just to store our luggage in. Although, that's probably not the most practical thing to do. I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to make an 11:40am flight. One of the biggest reasons that we're looking at late flights is that the port in SD seems to have more than it's share of late ship arrivals. :confused: We thought that if we're going to take a late flight anyway, we might as well try for non-stop. I'm just not sure about taking one that late. Decisions, decisions.scratchchin.gif I have to decide soon. hyper.gif

Thanks again for everyone's help. thanks.gif

tarheelmjfan,

You will have quite a little while between the ship's arrival and air departure. You will probably NOT be able to check luggage any earlier than 6:00PM and more likely 7:00PM. You only have about three choices-rental car, ship tour, or hotel. Even if you rent the car and leave it in the rental car parking lot and take a taxi (at double the expense), I would take the day to go to the San Diego zoo. If you have not been before, it truly is the best in the USA. There is a lot to do in San Diego and the driving is NOT difficult, so long as you stay away from the freeways during rush hour. I can empathize with not wanting to drive on vacation, but most of the attractions in San Diego are pretty close-usually not much more than 20 minutes (15 miles) from the rental car places. Go down to the "old town" area and wander around. It will be a really fun day. Get on the plane and fall asleep.

For things to do around San Diego during the day that WON'T require a car I'd recommend going to the San Diego Zoo for most of the day. When done you can walk around Balboa Park. Or take an afternoon strolling around the Gaslamp Quarter/Seaport Village. San Diego's downtown area is fairly compact and a cab can get you to all points. I'd aim to be arriving at the airport around 8:30-9:00PM to make your flight.

I'm personally one of those people who take red-eyes for the convenience but usualy cannot fall asleep on it. A few tips I have learned though over the trips which has made a red-eye bearable is:

- wear ear plugs to block out noise

- get one of those neck pillows (this makes ALL the difference)

- take a Tylenol PM or similar type of drowsy medicine to help you sleep

Just remember, you're not going to get a full night sleep on board - at most you'll probably get 4-5 hours. You'll also probably be arriving in CLT around 6AM the following morning. I usually find a shower and then a long nap in my own bed is enough to get me back onto track after a red-eye.

jeff

DH refuses to drive on vacation. He drives all over the state for his job. I suppose we could rent a car, just to store our luggage in....I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to make an 11:40am flight....We thought that if we're going to take a late flight anyway, we might as well try for non-stop. I'm just not sure about taking one that late. Decisions, decisions. I have to decide

Well, if both of you chose not to drive, then that severely limits your options. And wanting only a non-stop limits your options. And not wanting it too late limits your options.

I think that THIS SITE just might be the answer to getting out of town at your choice of times for a non-stop flight. And you won't have to fight anyone for a seat assignment you want. ;)

Well, if both of you chose not to drive, then that severely limits your options. And wanting only a non-stop limits your options. And not wanting it too late limits your options.

I think that THIS SITE just might be the answer to getting out of town at your choice of times for a non-stop flight. And you won't have to fight anyone for a seat assignment you want.

LOL!!! Do you have one we could borrow? We'll take really good care of it. lmao.gif

I think that THIS SITE just might be the answer to getting out of town at your choice of times for a non-stop flight. And you won't have to fight anyone for a seat assignment you want. ;)

Your answer was completly uncalled for. This is NOT FT. Most of the people who post on this board are leisure flyers. A lot of them fly once or twice a year, sometimes only for a cruise every couple of years. They do NOT generally care about points, miles, fare buckets, or flying NetJets. Most would have no idea how to arrange a NetJets flight and most would not pay the fare anyway. Please keep your answers in the spirit of this board. Thanks

greatam & JJPNYC,

Thanks for all the great suggestions & advice. :) Is there a place near the port where we could rent a car? If so, it would probably be more convenient to go ahead & rent one. DH wouldn't have to drive, unless he chooses to. (I don't like to drive unless I have to, especially in a new city.) It would work out good to rent a car at the pier, then drop it off at the airport. I'm sure he could handle driving that far. ;)

cherylandtk,

Where did you rent a car from?

Your answer was completly uncalled for. This is NOT FT. Most of the people who post on this board are leisure flyers. A lot of them fly once or twice a year, sometimes only for a cruise every couple of years. They do NOT generally care about points, miles, fare buckets, or flying NetJets. Most would have no idea how to arrange a NetJets flight and most would not pay the fare anyway. Please keep your answers in the spirit of this board. Thanks

Apparently you missed the wink at the end of the post. Also, the OP (tarheelmjfan) seemed to enjoy it. Go back and read the post before yours.

The spirit I try to follow is to provide genuine information and deal with the reality of various situations. In fact, those people you describe are the ones that NEED straight talk, so they can operate from a position of knowledge and empowerment, not from misunderstanding and confusion. When people know the reality of a situation, they may not like it, but they at least know they are not being lied to, or deceived, or taken advantage of. The power of decision lies with them, which is liberating in my view.

greatam & JJPNYC,

Thanks for all the great suggestions & advice. :) Is there a place near the port where we could rent a car? If so, it would probably be more convenient to go ahead & rent one. DH wouldn't have to drive, unless he chooses to. (I don't like to drive unless I have to, especially in a new city.) It would work out good to rent a car at the pier, then drop it off at the airport. I'm sure he could handle driving that far. ;)

cherylandtk,

There is no rental car places at the port but the airport is literally about 5 minutes away (next to Ft. Lauderdale, SAN has to be the easiest port/airport town) and you have all the usual car rental place there. Also driving in San Diego is pretty easy I've found. You can get around all of downtown without having to get onto I-5 at any time which greatly reduces the stress. Also the streets aren't that crowded either which helps navigating.

greatam & JJPNYC,

cherylandtk,

Finding a rental care will be no big deal. I live in NC now but lived on the west coast for a number of years.

Take the time to get a rental car and enjoy San Diego. The zoo, Sea Wordl and Balboa Park are great. A nice drive to La Jolla is also a neat thing to do. In the evening so to the gaslight/Sea Port village area, have a nice dinner and then grab the red eye. The only bad thing about it is if you have to work the next day you will be tired no matter what. ( Think east coast time for the return, you are leaving at 1:00 a.m, so even if you sleep it is still rough the next day.)

Have fun by all means.

greatam & JJPNYC,

Thanks for all the great suggestions & advice. :) Is there a place near the port where we could rent a car?

cherylandtk,

We used Hertz with a corporate rate. The airport is maybe 2 miles from the port, and the car rental agencies are off-airport right between the two. Hertz offers a shuttle to pick us up right at the port, and if the shuttle is too busy then they will re-imburse cab fare to get to the pickup location.

We went ahead & booked the 2 non-stop flights. The lady on the phone (who apparently didn't speak very good English) assured my DH that our seats were together. My poor DH never books anything & assumed she was correct. I did hear him ask her repeatedly to confirm that our seats were togther, before he paid for the flights. Not knowing what he'd booked, he gets off the phone & tells me we have seats 5B & 5E. Obviously, those seats aren't together. :rolleyes: He called back & had them changed to 2 middle seats that were one in front of the other. The flight is almost full. If the 1st lady would have told him we couldn't sit together, we would have booked a different Departing flight. Now we have a 5 hr., non-stop flight in a middle seat with noone to talk to. :( Oh well, on to the rental car.

We went ahead & booked the 2 non-stop flights. .... Now we have a 5 hr., non-stop flight in a middle seat with noone to talk to.

Since you are on US, and since that's your preferred carrier, you probably have a FF account. Use that, and the ticket locator (6 character code) and go online at the USAirways website to see if you can get seats together. Keep checking back, as things may open up. Also, call US when you arrive in SAN and see if you can get seats together.

Since you are on US, and since that's your preferred carrier, you probably have a FF account. Use that, and the ticket locator (6 character code) and go online at the USAirways website to see if you can get seats together. Keep checking back, as things may open up. Also, call US when you arrive in SAN and see if you can get seats together.

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I went to their website, but can't find a place to enter the code w/ my FF number. I can't even bring our reservation up on the site. :o The reason my DH called instead of booking on line (which I usually do) was because Expedia showed 2 seats together on their seating chart. One of them was preferred. He called hoping to get those. He doesn't have a FF number, but was hoping to get the preferred seat with mine. Do you have any suggestions for increasing our odds of booking the preferred seat next to one of our middle seats? Thanks again for all your help.

Archived