Got an email from my TA: Itinerary changes for 2024 coming up. Your itinerary may be canceled.

Tapi

I just spoke to my TA about this as I was scheduled on a May 2024 cruise.  In my particular case, they have split the journey into two separate legs with some minor modifications to add a few days and additional ports.

All existing journeys after April 2024 are indeed cancelled but everyone will receive either a 30% credit towards a future cruise or a full refund.  You must determine which option you want within the next 30 days.

According to the TA, they are making this change because they’ve realized that the demographic they are trying to attract does not have as much schedule flexibility as they expected and want shorter journeys.  So, we are likely to see more 7 to 10 day cruises with the ability to book back-to-backs if you want a longer cruise. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Oh that’s horrible for you . Can I ask where it is in mid Sept 24

Istanbul Athens area

Here is the turnoff for us.  The demographic on 7 days cruises is far different from the demographic on longer cruises.  More kids.  Often more partying.   I am sure most of you have experienced it.  We rarely book anything with fewer than 21 days.  The Explora cruise we booked was 14 days.  I do not think this line is for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bitob said:

Thank you sooooooo much …. My travel agent is literally arriving back from a vacation today and I didn’t want to give her a stroke!!!

What a poo show…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I’m not very good at being patient ! Our original Sept24 cruise was cancelled with a credit towards the rebooked cruise . This has now been cancelled too so what figure are we getting 30% credit of ?

Good question. I am on a similar situation. Waiting to see the prices. I hope they do not overestimate the experience they are offering setting high prices. Rebooking might be risky if they change or cancel itineraries again.

Ivi

Those that have sailed with Crystal know the evils of a FCC and what becomes of this "money" if the line disappears.  While that is a stretch in Explora's case, by accepting a 130% FCC there could be time limits associated with it and should you not be able to travel due to sickness or injury adds a complication that is not worth dealing with.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Shorter itineraries? Not our piece of cake. 

Ivi

Maybe MSC's customers were already accustomed to shorter cruises, and they were not finding many MSC customers interested in Explora. So they're further MSC'ing Explora to cater to current Yacht Club passengers?

1 minute ago, peder said:

Maybe MSC's customers were already accustomed to shorter cruises, and they were not finding many MSC customers interested in Explora. So they're further MSC'ing Explora to cater to current Yacht Club passengers?

They have alienated a whole lot of affluent luxury cruisers who routinely book long itineraries. You would think they would want to attract those of us who cruise regent crystal silversea and seabourn for 3 weeks at a time. 7 day cruisers are dealbreaker for me and most of my cruise friends

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, peder said:

Explora was supposed to be different than MSC. By the way all our MSC cruises have been long. The so called Grand Voyages on average 20 days.

Ivi

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:04 PM, saminina said:

Yet cruisemapper lists Bayonne.   Clarity would be nice.

Then Cruisemapper is wrong!  We will be boarding the ship, in a few weeks, in Manhattan.  Our final documents (received today) indicate that the ship will be at 711 12th Ave, NYC which is the Manhattan Cruise Terminal around 54th St and 12th Ave.   As much as we like Cruisemapper, it often has accuracy issues.

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Explora was supposed to be different than MSC. By the way all our MSC cruises have been long. The so called Grand Voyages on average 20 days.

Ivi

Those represent a small % of MSC's revenue and though I've never been on one, when you do a mock booking for these, it looks like there are almost always YC cabins available right before the sail date, so I assume these are never very full to begin with?

I'm not sure how MSC was going to survive simply by poaching customers of other lines. Their entire strategy almost certainly relied on converting existing Aurea and YC customers, many of whom are relatively new to cruising and have only ever sailed with MSC. In other words, they've always been a line that has drawn in folks that otherwise never sailed, they found a new niche. And there's a lot with Explora (i.e. the kids club) that suggest they're trying to find Explora's unique niche also.

And my comments are coming from someone that will now be more likely to book with Explora. 10+ day cruises hold limited appeal for us, but 7-9 days means it'd be a toss-up for us to book YC or Explora for similar itineraries.

• Like 1