Rough seas ahead?

Sea-nic-route

Hello all! I went on my first cruise last year and absolutely loved it and can not wait to go again! Recently my mom has expressed wanting to go to Ireland on a mother daughter trip. I’m trying to convince her that a cruise will allow us to cover the most ground possible in a short amount of time, and be the best economic decision. She’s never been on a cruise (the closes thing is a whale watch) and is afraid the waters will be too choppy and she will be too sick to enjoy it. Can anyone here share their experience with how rough the seas in the Ireland area are so I can share with her? The cruise we are looking at is in mid May. Thanks In advance!

Edited by Sea-nic-route
Spelling

In general, sea conditions outside of specific forecasted weather events are impossible to predict with any certainty.  Specific areas may have specific conditions that prevail there, which seems like what you are asking. This link may provide some insight, however it is in real time. Not sure if there is historical seasonal data available through it, but maybe it will help.  

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/sea-area-forecast

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I don’t know about Ireland specifically. I do know a large cruise ship is entirely different from a whale watching boat. 
One trick to avoid sea sickness is keeping a full belly. It’s one reason the cruises offer so much food. 
I think the amount of motion is also affected by what level you are on- though I can’t remember which is better, higher or lower. I think fresh air also helps. So a balcony room might be better. 
and if she still feels ill, you can always get Dramamine on board. And plan to go ashore whenever possible. 
Hope you can convince her. But if you can’t, there are other wonderful ways to tour Ireland. You might miss a lot being on a ship. I remember getting lost on the byroads of Southern Ireland was a highlight of our trip there. 

I’m not sure I agree with your premise that a cruise is the best way to experience Ireland. Why not research some land-based options as well. On a cruise you only get anywhere from 6-12 hours in a given location. You miss the sunsets, dinners, and evening pub visits, lol, among other things.

• Thanks 1

A cruise ship is probably the worst way to try to see some of Ireland.  Apart from the fact that the Irish Sea can be quite rough at a moments notice, you are only going to be in a couple of (probably) East Coast ports (eg Cobh, Waterford, Dunlaoghaire or Dublin, Belfast) for a limited amount of time during daylight hours. 

Mid May is a perfect time to visit Ireland, so please look at a land based trip, either car, coach or rail.  There is so much more to see than a few cruise ports and they are still possible to see in a reasonably short amount of time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1