Seabourn Poolside & Deck Lounges

I've always felt that Seabourn falls short in their poolside experience.  The lounges are exactly the same as Holland America, Carnival and Princess (bulk buying I guess), but more narrow.  Uncomfortable sling back without cusions.  After a short while of enjoying the poolside experience these incredibly uncomfortable lounges make the back ache.  By comparison Silversea, Oceania and Regent have delicious and luxurious poolside/deck experiences in large part due to their high end and very comfortable outdoor furniture.  Additionally, Regent and Oceania even adorn their cushioned lounges with another layer of luxury - logo sporting terry cloth covers.  Having just gotten off the Oceania Vista I am still remembering drifting off to sleep on deck on a heavenly lounge on a day at sea.  Apparently, Seabourn has or will be investing in new outdoor furniture.  Has anyone seen any new outdoor furniture including lounges with cushions on any Seabourn ship.  In fairness, the aft deck pool on Seabourn does have lounges with cushions, but lousy ones that are of cheap hardware store quality.  To some this may sound like a first world problem - because it is 😀 However, cruising is a first world pleasure, treat, and fortunate experience.  There are choices and there is competition.  In summary, there is so much I love about Seabourn.  I wish they would up their outdoor lounging and seating experience to an appropriately luxurious one found on competing lines.  Hotels market the comfort of their beds all the time.  What a concept if a cruise line were to market the luxurious comfort of the poolside and deck experience. Only other knock on Seabourn - Seabourn Square coffee experience poorly run and akin to a Russian breadline.  Other than that - virtually perfect product for me. 

• Like 5

@californiacruiseluvrs although I have never sailed the other cruise lines that you have - other than SilverSea - I find the patio furniture quite comfortable, and certainly wide enough, and not sure why having a logo is in any way important.  And Seabourn Square is not to your liking? I can’t comment on your comparison because I’ve never been on a Russian breadline.  Since your post suggests you have, how exactly is it akin to a Russian breadline?  I can’t even imagine how absolutely awful a Russian breadline is.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, californiacruiseluvrs said:

I've always felt that Seabourn falls short in their poolside experience.  After a short while of enjoying the poolside experience these incredibly uncomfortable lounges make the back ache.  

100% with you. We recently had a wonderful 30n cruise around the Med. The sun loungers are very uncomfortable - we were commenting just last night that it's the one comparitive shortfall of Seabourn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, californiacruiseluvrs said:

I've always felt that Seabourn falls short in their poolside experience.  The lounges are exactly the same as Holland America, Carnival and Princess (bulk buying I guess), but more narrow.  Uncomfortable sling back without cusions.  After a short while of enjoying the poolside experience these incredibly uncomfortable lounges make the back ache.  By comparison Silversea, Oceania and Regent have delicious and luxurious poolside/deck experiences in large part due to their high end and very comfortable outdoor furniture.  Additionally, Regent and Oceania even adorn their cushioned lounges with another layer of luxury - logo sporting terry cloth covers.  Having just gotten off the Oceania Vista I am still remembering drifting off to sleep on deck on a heavenly lounge on a day at sea.  Apparently, Seabourn has or will be investing in new outdoor furniture.  Has anyone seen any new outdoor furniture including lounges with cushions on any Seabourn ship.  In fairness, the aft deck pool on Seabourn does have lounges with cushions, but lousy ones that are of cheap hardware store quality.  To some this may sound like a first world problem - because it is 😀 However, cruising is a first world pleasure, treat, and fortunate experience.  There are choices and there is competition.  In summary, there is so much I love about Seabourn.  I wish they would up their outdoor lounging and seating experience to an appropriately luxurious one found on competing lines.  Hotels market the comfort of their beds all the time.  What a concept if a cruise line were to market the luxurious comfort of the poolside and deck experience. Only other knock on Seabourn - Seabourn Square coffee experience poorly run and akin to a Russian breadline.  Other than that - virtually perfect product for me. 

I have never used one of the loungers that you describe on any Seabourn ship.

I use the double bed type loungers with a four inch thick cushion.

On Encore they are on deck eleven, ten metres from my suite which is convenient when I need to pop back.

They are also on deck twelve forward and thry are never full.

It's quiet and a perfect place to drift off.

There are two on the pool deck and a few others on deck five aft.

No need to have a rigid lounger with metal arms on if you don't like them although I saw plenty of other guests asleep on them after lunch.

They looked happy enough to me.

The poolside loungers on Seabourn’ classic ships are uncomfortable, narrow, unpadded polyester weave on a frame things, cheap, shabby to see, old and not fit for purpose - assuming you know what the luxury competitors offer. One indicator of how the line’s furnishings have been neglected over the past few years. Those on the Ody class have been there since they were launched. Same for the Encore class which launched in 2017. Ok for some though; some of the most loyal brand followers say so…. Hopefully, and according to my TA, they will be replaced in time. By what remains to be seen.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markham said:

The poolside loungers on Seabourn’ classic ships are uncomfortable, narrow, unpadded polyester weave on a frame things, cheap, shabby to see, old and not fit for purpose - assuming you know what the luxury competitors offer. One indicator of how the line’s furnishings have been neglected over the past few years. Those on the Ody class have been there since they were launched. Same for the Encore class which launched in 2017. Ok for some though; some of the most loyal brand followers say so…. Hopefully, and according to my TA, they will be replaced in time. By what remains to be seen.

Deck seven forward on Encore has torn amd worn cushions that cover the bench in front of the whirlpool.

Captain Bathgate came on for his stint last week and when I had dinner with him this was part of our conversation.

Things around the ship are looking a little shabby and it's high time that money was spent.

Assuming they have enough in the pot by now.🙄

14 hours ago, californiacruiseluvrs said:

Only other knock on Seabourn - Seabourn Square coffee experience poorly run and akin to a Russian breadline.

Now that you can order ahead on the Source app (at least for coffee), the Square is a seamless experience for me. They also read any comments you add so you can have your drink made exactly as you like. Also note they freshly roast beans on the ship, which is HUGE for the freshness and quality of the brew if you're an espresso snob like me. Found Arts Cafe on Silver Muse to be massively disappointing by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What comparison? For argument’s sake what is disappointing about the Arts Cafe? Surely it is not the Illy coffee made to order fast and efficienty, and the service involving staff delivering your order (incl food choices) to your table. That’s a service unique to Arts Cafe since Seabourn does not staff such a service option. Please explain,

39 minutes ago, markham said:

Surely it is not the Illy coffee made to order fast and efficienty, and the service involving staff delivering your order (incl food choices) to your table.

I usually take my coffee to go, as I like to get up early and go on a coffee run to take back to my wife who likes to lounge in bed in the morning, so the table service doesn't do much for me. Further, at least on the Muse the to go cups were small paper cups with ill-fitting plastic lids that staff warned against using them. On Seabourn they have nice ceramic mugs and cardboard coffee carriers to take two at a time easily (I think on the Muse they gave me a plate to carry them on since they were hot). 

As for Illy, it's quite good, but it's all pre-roasted and in those large storage tins. Seabourn goes above and beyond by roasting the coffee in the Square every couple of days.

I don't drink alcohol any more, so my coffee snobbery has probably gone a little overboard. I'm one of those people with a subscription to have freshly roasted espresso beans delivered to my house regularly for use in my home semi-automatic espresso machine. From my perspective the experience in the Square is far superior to Arts, but I fully recognize I have a unique use case and viewpoint here.

On the other hand, I will say is that I much preferred the selection of herbal infusions and teas on the Muse to the brand and selection commonly available on Seabourn. The selection was more varied and the quality seems higher. (Though if you attend the afternoon tea on Seabourn they have different and much better tea available than what is more commonly served...the afternoon tea is more on par with SS.)

• Like 1

I am glad at least one of you are happy with the pool/lounge furniture.  The problem is that although there are padded lounges they are few and far between, shabby and of Lowe's disposable quality.  Just saying - Seabourn could do better.  The coffee is definitely a topic unto itself for coffee connosseurs.  I've found the best to be Arts Cafe on Silversea and Cafe Baccio on Regent.  Certainly, some will beg to differ.  Even with the Seabourn Source app I find myself often waiting 5-10 minutes for my morning Joe.  Again, as stated a first world problem.  However, when you are paying $$$$$ for a luxury cruise experience lines for coffee should not be excessive.  😀Then again, isn't all coffee just beans with specialty beverages being a take on coffee, water and some kind of milk or milk like product? I think part of the coffee experience is about the power and control.  'I'll have a nonfat, no whip, extra hot, half cap, mochachino with 1.5 pumps of vanilla and room for a splash of oat milk in a double cup". 😂  Orders could be taken like on Silversea and a waiter can bring to where you are sitting whether to go or to consume in Seabourn Square.  The whole purpose of comment cards and commentary is so that guests - many loyal guests - can help management to improve an already incredible product.  One big thing I did fail to mention was the plastic water bottles.  These are vial and gross and have not encounted a guest who likes them.  Often times the water has a disgusting odor.  Concept is good.  However, the winner in this category is Regent and Oceania who has installed Vero water systems offering delicious still and sparkling water.  Crazy that when you think about it all water is just H20

1 hour ago, californiacruiseluvrs said:

... One big thing I did fail to mention was the plastic water bottles.  These are vial and gross and have not encounted a guest who likes them.  

I like the plastic water bottles. We usually pick one up when we go off for an excursion, or for a walk around the port.

I understand that many people like padded patio furniture.  I don’t doubt they are more comfortable, but I feel that the basis chaises are cleaner. I can’t stop thinking that sweat from bodies baking in the sun (or even the heat in a shaded area) and their oils and lotions and potions penetrate the cushions through the towels.  

Comfort or cleanliness is not a tradeoff nor is what passes as a deck loungers luxury stuff on Seabourn. It is Carnival or maybe HAL grade. As in as cheap as the market will bear. And when do you see them being scrubbed clean? 

There are cruise lines that deliver luxury. That is loungers with padded supports on top with a terry or similar cover on them and then toweling on top which are changed between users. They come with more spacing and deck space per passenger, which means less sun loungers hogging and bullying for which at least some Seabourn regulars are renowned and tolerated. It all adds up.

Seabourn has settled on a sub-luxury brand level and thereby ceded that former role they held when Ody, Soj and Quest were new and game changers, even with the quirks such as the cheaper loungers. Now the luxury cachet belongs to the newest 4 Silversea and newest 3 Regent ships for those looking for a more sophisticated experience. And their restaurants are open for breakfast and lunch daily.

• Like 2

Mr L,

I concur. The Venture and Pursuit are of luxury standard - from their modern design to furnishings to space ratios to their service offerings of all types. And their restaurants serve 3 meals per day.

And there is no TK Grill. Who cares? The budgets can be spent elsewhere. In the classic ships I am guessing TKG are a huge drain. What to do with any cost reductions? How about opening the MDR for 3 meals per day and revamping the old Colonnade concept, adding to their kitchens and maybe adding a new restaurant where TKG is. That would be productive and indicative of positive change/fresh thinking.

In the meantime Venture or Pursuit lead Seabourn with their particular type of sophistication and luxury, IMO. Just beautiful and smart.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, markham said:

And their restaurants serve 3 meals per day.

Venture and Pursuit serve breakfast and lunch in the dining room???!!!  Wow, what a novel luxury concept.  I need to book...oh wait a minute they are over double per-diem than the classic ships:(

Maybe someday in the future this revolutionary concept will flow through to the non-expedition ships-one can hope.  Meanwhile Silversea gets more of our business.

2 hours ago, markham said:

Mr L,

I concur. The Venture and Pursuit are of luxury standard - from their modern design to furnishings to space ratios to their service offerings of all types. And their restaurants serve 3 meals per day.

And there is no TK Grill. Who cares? The budgets can be spent elsewhere. In the classic ships I am guessing TKG are a huge drain. What to do with any cost reductions? How about opening the MDR for 3 meals per day and revamping the old Colonnade concept, adding to their kitchens and maybe adding a new restaurant where TKG is. That would be productive and indicative of positive change/fresh thinking.

In the meantime Venture or Pursuit lead Seabourn with their particular type of sophistication and luxury, IMO. Just beautiful and smart.

Yes,I agree Markham.

What we're you thinking re TKG

Asian or Italian?

Most people know and like real Italian food. The emphasis can be on authenticity and healthy ingredients which is a thing. Just not too healthy: olive oil in/butter out, less fried foods but high quality pulses and vegetables, fruit and fish. That’s a good choice.

What do you prefer?

3 hours ago, markham said:

Most people know and like real Italian food. The emphasis can be on authenticity and healthy ingredients which is a thing. Just not too healthy: olive oil in/butter out, less fried foods but high quality pulses and vegetables, fruit and fish. That’s a good choice.

What do you prefer?

I could do Scallini or Cecconi but too healthy and we could end up with Daylesford.  

35 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I could do Scallini or Cecconi but too healthy and we could end up with Daylesford.  

Are you referring to scallinni in London?  If so, we ate there in 2004 and really enjoyed dining there.

Nancy