Laguardia to Times Square

layteacher

52 minutes ago, layteacher said:

Flying into LGA the day before our cruise and staying in a hotel near Times Square. What is the best way to get there? Just my husband and I with minimal luggage.

Either taxi or Uber/Lyft. There isn’t any fixed rate on the taxi from LGA to Manhattan like there is from JFK so both options will be similarly priced when you factor in the fees the taxis charge. Personally I’d Uber here because I think the cars are of a higher quality than the taxis but honestly it doesn’t make a huge difference here. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, layteacher said:

Flying into LGA the day before our cruise and staying in a hotel near Times Square. What is the best way to get there? Just my husband and I with minimal luggage.

There are many alternatives, so what is "best" depends on what is most important to you while traveling. If I were making the trip with minimal baggage, I would use the free shuttle bus service from the airport terminal to the Jackson Heights bus terminal and subway station. The shuttle bus service is marked, "Q70 LaGuardia Link," operates every 8-to-10 minutes, and is an 11-minute non-stop trip. Once at the Jackson Heights bus terminal and subway station, I would board the no. 7 subway train that goes directly to Times Square. The train takes about half an hour to get to Times Square, and the fare is $2.90 per person (payable at the station with credit card). Both the shuttle bus service and subway train service are available 24 hours daily.

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

A person taking a cruise obviously has a few dollars to spare.  It is hard to understand why someone paying thousands of dollars for a flight to New York, their hotel, and the cruise from New York would want to save a few dollars by finding the cheapest (as opposed to an easy and comfortable, if slightly more expensive) way to get to their hotel - and consider for a second the hassle and wasted time involved in getting the cheapest transfer fro airport to city. Bus and/or subway— are you kidding?

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ronmar22 said:

At one time "shared rides" were available from LGA to all 5 burrows by using the "VIA" app.  Is this still an option?

Perhaps spell check changed boroughs ( or boros as it's often spelled by  New Yorkers)  to "burrows" ?? 😀

Via no longer operates in NYC.

https://support.ridewithvia.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002647711-When-and-where-does-Via-operate-

Via is no longer providing rides in New York City

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Perhaps spell check changed boroughs ( or boros as it's often spelled by  New Yorkers)  to "burrows" ?? 😀

Via no longer operates in NYC.

https://support.ridewithvia.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002647711-When-and-where-does-Via-operate-

Via is no longer providing rides in New York City

Thanks for the info on VIA.  Also, thanks for the spelling lesson.

50 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Actually, "burrow" isn't all that wrong considering how much time New Yorkers spend under ground riding the subway system.  😀

Ha ha.  I wish I could blame spell check on this one but it is all on me.  Wife even laughed at me when she saw how I spelled borough soon after I sent that post.  Spelling never was my strength.

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Via no longer operates in NYC. * * * Via is no longer providing rides in New York City

Just to be clear, Via continues to operate in New York City, but its business no longer includes arranging for individual transportation. Instead, it is providing software, including Remix, a planning, scheduling, and mapping application used by many public transportation, including New York City Transit Authority, both internally and for external presentations. Remix can be seen, for example, with the proposed bus network designs for Queens County (the county in which LaGuardia Airport is located). http://new.mta.info/project/queens-bus-network-redesign

Adding to the discussion above as to boroughs: here in the borough of Queens, there is frequently reference to Queens County, rather than the Borough of Queens. I think it is largely a reflection of many in Queens continuing to resist being part of the City of New York. Residents of the other four boroughs identify with, and refer to their homes being located within, their borough. However, residents of Queens do not typically identify with the borough, but with the village or hamlet that existed prior to the 1898 consolidation, or a substitute for more recently-developed communities. (There was, from 1870 to 1898, a single city in Queens County, Long Island City, and it, too, was, and is, a collection of villages and hamlets; there is no center for Long Island City.) Thus, I am first a resident of Flushing, and secondarily a resident of Queens County. I remember several years, when I was appointed to public office in Queens County, the borough president stated as part of the swearing-in ceremony, that she excluded from consideration for appointment anyone who listed "Queens" as their home, because we are a county of communities. Thus, one might also search for "Queens County."

22 hours ago, ronmar22 said:

At one time "shared rides" were available from LGA to all 5 burrows by using the "VIA" app.  Is this still an option?

Uber has brought back UberX Share and may show up as an option when you put in for a ride. I do not know if it is available from airports but it pops up at home. YMMV

We are just back from NYC, sailing on the Emerald Princess. I found recommendatIons on this board for Carmel Car Service. That’s what we used from JFK to the Brooklyn port before the cruise and then from Times square to LGA on the way home. I highly recommend Carmel!

I thought the price was reasonable, the convenience and safety were great and the service was tremendous.