My Review Of The First Two Crystal Serenity Sailings - Embarking July 31, 2023 & Debarking August 22, 2023

Keith1010

32 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I have to admit, I've been SHOCKED at the proportion of new-to-Crystal passengers I've seen posting here and in other forums, and how much more awareness Crystal has been getting outside their alumni base since the restart -- especially since they're just getting started with marketing and sailing again, and still don't have the full team they'll flesh out over the next couple of years.  Time will tell if they're able to retain these new customers of course, but I never quite expected the level fresh interest they've been getting this early.

Vince

We just sailed on Seabourn and we often had a conversation with fellow passengers about our "favorite" cruise line and we always replied Crystal.  Surprisingly several commented that they were aware of Crystal's return and were planning on booking a first time cruise with them.  I think one considerations is that many of the current people cruising are returning to cruising for the  first or second time since Covid and they are wanting to find the right cruise line.

All of the cruise lines have experience "returning to service" pains and many experienced guests are not happy with the level of service they have received.  This opens up the options to try something new.

• Like 6

I think Crystals first challenge will be to show they are delivering on their promises which seems to be going according to plan. I have a feeling that once they are established for a while, former crew members who’ve migrated to other lines will start to return which was one of their strongest points. 
They’ve negated the larger capacity issue by reducing passenger carry by making many more suites.  They also have access to A&K’s passenger base as well to hopefully negate having older tonnage. 

I do recall that one of OC’s issues was lack of economy of scale with such a small fleet, so some growth will be necessary.

They’re off to a good start so they just have to keep demonstrating that they can deliver in what they’ve promised in a consistent basis. I do remover a while back one of the chief negatives about Silversea was a lack of consistency across its fleet. 

• Like 1

I know that Keith1010 is, perhaps correctly, considered a "cheerleader".  I also know that some posters take exception to Keith's posts, and some choose to try and beat him (respond more quickly) IMO in an aggressive way.  I "know" through CC, as well as through physically meeting, quite a few of these posters.  All I can say, from my point of view, is that I read every post that is being made and base my judgment on what is written based on how each individual has previously posted.  Crystal is back on our radar and, if our health allows, we will be back onboard at some point.  I look forward to seeing familiar faces, and to also meet individuals who are cruising Crystal for the first time.  Choice, and life, is good.  😀

Edited by mariners
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I have to admit, I've been SHOCKED at the proportion of new-to-Crystal passengers I've seen posting here and in other forums, and how much more awareness Crystal has been getting outside their alumni base since the restart -- especially since they're just getting started with marketing and sailing again, and still don't have the full team they'll flesh out over the next couple of years.  Time will tell if they're able to retain these new customers of course, but I never quite expected the level fresh interest they've been getting this early.

Vince

Vince, we had more new to Crystal guests on board the first two voyages than I expected considering the focus was on Crystal Society.  

I went out of my way to ask as many guests as I could what they thought about the experience.

I will tell you that all had very positive things to say. This is not to say everything was perfect because nothing ever is and I touched on items that were either addressed during the voyage or need to be.

I know the on board booking consultants (there are two now) were very busy with new bookings/open bookings and that is positive.  People were adding both 2023 and 2024 including the New York/New England/Canada cruises.  

We knew that bookings would be soft at the beginning because some wanted to wait to see what others had to say and also because many people already had cruises booked on other lines.  I think 2025 itineraries and how they sell will be a good indicator along with advertising.  

The feedback on Symphony from the current shake-down cruise has bee very positive and I have a number of friends who were on the inaugural of Serenity and now doing Symphony. I wish we could be there too.

One advantage that new Crystal has is it only has two ships. While some view it as a con, the positive is the consistency of the crew and that you only have two ships to sell.  

I believe the way they want to roll out new ships is wise.

One things for sure is that I haven't met anyone who sailed any of the first two sailings nor others who I know on the third sailing who disagreed with my bottom line and that is if you like Crystal before you will like Crystal as much if not more. It is old Crystal enhanced. Old Crystal was not perfect.  But what is.

Keith 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, mariners said:

I know that Keith1010 is, perhaps correctly, considered a "cheerleader".  I also know that some posters take exception to Keith's posts, and some choose to try and beat him (respond more quickly) IMO in an aggressive way.  I "know" through CC, as well as through physically meeting, quite a few of these posters.  All I can say, from my point of view, is that I read every post that is being made and base my judgment on what is written based on how each individual has previously posted.  Crystal is back on our radar and, if our health allows, we will be back onboard at some point.  I look forward to seeing familiar faces, and to also meet individuals who are cruising Crystal for the first time.  Choice, and life, is good.  😀

I hope you are able to make it on board Crystal.

No worries about tthe handful of posters who are rude.  I am very thick skinned.  When one posts they open themselves up to all kinds of responses.

What I can say is during those two cruises I had so many people come up to me from this board (some are posters and some are lurkers), others from another board I post on, and even several members of the crew who said my posts dating back to between February of 2022 and right before Manfredi made the offer gave them hope as many were giving up hope and then they went on to say that they appreciated my posts that the new ownership didn't just buy the name but rather would take the strengths of Crystal and make it better. These comments touched my heart and I was very surprised about the number of people who said the same thing. So when that happens this reenforces my view that the handful of people who do what they do don't bother me at all.

It's funny. There was Judith on this board who was certainly a fan of Crystal. And on the Seabourn board there was Martha who was instrumental in my decision to book Seabourn back when they had the three 200 passenger ships and we sailed them twice. I remember how much Martha cared for the crew as we do.  I even took a care package she sent me in my suitcase for some crew members. Anyway, they both eventually stopped posting other than a few times. Why? Because they were attacked and called cheerleaders?  They each passed way too soon. It is because of them that I post and not concern myself with the very few who do what they do. Sometimes, I just say I do this in their memory.

On a related note, I can't tell you how many people when I asked how is your cruise and what do you think said the same things. They were so happy to be back and truly loved the cruise. For some the disappointment was being on for only one cruise and not staying longer.  😀  And just about everyone was very understanding about the glitches with phones and televisions knowing how much work had been done to get the ship ready.

Best to you.

Keith 

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 9:09 AM, Keith1010 said:

Dancing.

Some of the people who enjoy ballroom dancing prefer a larger band over the pianist and the vocalist and they made their feelings known.

For most others they seemed fine with the two performers. And those two performers can easily play music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc.  The vocalist who performed at the Gala has a most amazing voice IMHO.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your posts. I have booked a short summer cruise on Serenity in 2024 as a test.

It would be my 4th cruise on Crystal: first on NC and three on OC.  

Would you please give an inside on why NC decided on 4 dance hosts who are ballroom dancers but only a two-member band?

I dance ballroom for many years and have yet to come across 2-member dance band :).

How does it work? I search for a video but did not find any.

Thank you!

On 8/27/2023 at 4:07 AM, Amber14 said:

Could you please expand on the music and dancing disappointments? We have our first Crystal cruise booked and are wondering about the type of music and dancing. Specifically would like to know whether there is any old 60's, 70's music to listen to or for dancing. Not really into ball dancing. Thanks!

The Pulse Night club would be very good for this dancing. As I remember correctly, there was a DJ who was good with music requests.

Get into the action at Crystal Serenity's Pulse Nighclub, featuring live music and a dance floor.

Edited by Sdancer

6 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your posts. I have booked a short summer cruise on Serenity in 2024 as a test.

It would be my 4th cruise on Crystal: first on NC and three on OC.  

Would you please give an inside on why NC decided on 4 dance hosts who are ballroom dancers but only a two-member band?

I dance ballroom for many years and have yet to come across 2-member dance band :).

How does it work? I search for a video but did not find any.

Thank you!

Sdancer, you are very welcome and great news about your booking.  I hope you are pleased with your cruise and look forward to hearing what you think.

I am not sure why they went with a two person band and have no inside information on it. I can speculate it comes down to budget but this is just my guess.  

I've seen some short videos on another social media site which we are not supposed to mention on CC.

There are some on this board who dance so hopefully they can provide more details on their experiences.

Keith

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Sdancer, you are very welcome and great news about your booking.  I hope you are pleased with your cruise and look forward to hearing what you think.

I am not sure why they went with a two person band and have no inside information on it. I can speculate it comes down to budget but this is just my guess.  

I've seen some short videos on another social media site which we are not supposed to mention on CC.

There are some on this board who dance so hopefully they can provide more details on their experiences.

Keith

A duo instead of the Crystal Quartet for dance music is definitely budgetary. Hopefully they will revisit it when bookings are consistently high. On my Symphony cruises, we also had the DJ do some ballroom sets and some shows in the Starlite finish with the Crystal Showband playing for guest dancing. Certainly all the regular ballroom dancers actively miss the Crystal Quartet.

• Like 3

It’s pretty hard to justify a quartet playing for 4 guests ballroom dancing with 4 paid Crystal ambassadors. That’s what I observed in Palm Court on a full ship, on multiple nights. Even with a duo, the return on investment is negative. 

After shows, the band would continue to play for dancers in Stardust. There was good participation (and fun) but it wasn’t “ballroom” dancing.

Edited by Cruise-y
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

It’s pretty hard to justify a quartet playing for 4 guests ballroom dancing with 4 paid Crystal ambassadors. That’s what I observed in Palm Court on a full ship, on multiple nights. Even with a duo, the return on investment is negative. 

After shows, the band would continue to play for dancers in Stardust. There was good participation (and fun) but it wasn’t “ballroom” dancing.

Normally there are several couples (people traveling with their own partners) dancing as well, not just the Ambassador Hosts and female guests.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 9:54 PM, TER777 said:

Normally there are several couples (people traveling with their own partners) dancing as well, not just the Ambassador Hosts and female guests.

There are also passengers who are not dancers but enjoy having a drink/cocktail while listening to a band and watching others dance.

I had people on multiple occasions to tell us how much they enjoyed our dancing.