Need excursion idea for Tortola!

jelomu

Hi all, 

I'll be sailing next year on the Breakaway and our Tortola stop is 6am(yuk!!!) to 2pm.....this is terrible timing IMO

We will be lucky to start at 9am, which doesn't leave a lot of time for excursions.   Would you recommend just hitting the beach? Or is there a sightseeing tour that starts later than 6/7am that will get us back on time?

What did you do if you had so little time?

Every time we've stopped at Tortola, we've done the Escape to Jost Van Dyke exursion. It is the ONLY NCL tour we have ever done.

There are usually two departure times. Even though I am not a morning person, we choose the earliest one. This allows us our choice of chairs. You also have to be of the mindset that if you drink, you are going to be drinking EARLY.

This tour should allow you some time to browse the shops at the port before or after your departure.

We also have only done the Escape to Jost Van Dyke excursion while in Tortola and will be going again this December.  We have the same port times as the OP and our excursion leaves at 7:00 a.m.  I don't believe we were given another option for a later excursion time.  It's a great excursion and once we booked our cruise, I made sure to book this excursion right away so that it didn't sell out.  

Edited by CaliMom05

8 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Every time we've stopped at Tortola, we've done the Escape to Jost Van Dyke exursion. It is the ONLY NCL tour we have ever done.

There are usually two departure times. Even though I am not a morning person, we choose the earliest one. This allows us our choice of chairs. You also have to be of the mindset that if you drink, you are going to be drinking EARLY.

This tour should allow you some time to browse the shops at the port before or after your departure.

1 hour ago, elliotlake12 said:

Are beach lounges included with that excursion? Return transportation to the ship?

You are dropped off in front of the Soggy Dollar Bar and chairs/loungers there are first come, first serve.

Being that you are taking a 45-minute catamaran ride to a completely different island, return transportation is definitely included. 😁

Yes, with a 9AM start I’d suggest taking one of the 3 hour shared safari taxi island tours, or just taking a taxi to a beach and having an hour after around the port area.

Tortola is a gorgeous, lush island with spectacular views of the bays and other islands from high above. You will see drivers offering tours, some with a short stop in CGB for beach time or to see the distillery.

Or you can taxi to one of the popular beaches here. CGB is the busiest because there are several beach bars and amenities here. It is also the largest bay. When we stay at Myett’s or Quito’s and we are there when cruisers are dropped and picked up there are several 20+ safari taxis because of the number of people. Some go here on the ship excursion, but no need for that, just hop a taxi going there. The water can be rough or as calm as glass depending on find and sea conditions.

If you would like a less busy vibe and an older Caribbean feel, Brewers Bay would be my suggestion. One beach bar and restroom and some lounges. Taxis return to both beaches, and the fare is ~$12/pp each way according to a recent report. Long Bay (Beef Island) is another option, not sure if you must take the ship excursion to get lounges and umbrellas…

Getting off the ship for a 7 or 7:45 AM excursion to JVD which gives you only a couple hours there isn’t something we’d do. We love White Bay and Great Harbor, but more for afternoons when staying in the islands.

And the Baths on Virgin Gorda - which are something I would recommend if you had more time - are an equally bad idea since you’d be there with so many of your fellow passengers…

So on these NCL port times enjoying the beauty of Tortola (and the people) just makes sense! Enjoy whatever you choose!

Edited by blue_water

Going to Cane Bay or Brewers Bay, would it be a drive around cliffs? We went to the DR a few years back and had a wild ride around cliffs to get up to a zipline tour (for the hubs and kiddos). I have fear of heights and nearly had panic attack so I'd prefer a beach where we don't have to do cliff drive to get to.

Edited by laumicmah

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 11:22 AM, laumicmah said:

Going to Cane Bay or Brewers Bay, would it be a drive around cliffs? We went to the DR a few years back and had a wild ride around cliffs to get up to a zipline tour (for the hubs and kiddos). I have fear of heights and nearly had panic attack so I'd prefer a beach where we don't have to do cliff drive to get to.

Just saw this post!

The ride to CGB and Brewers Bay is along steep, winding roads, usually in a 20+ passenger safari truck.

The ride to Long Bay, West End is along the flatter south shore and then over Zion Hill Road to Long Bay. So not as bad a ride. Same with the ride to Long Bay, Beef Island to the east.. 

LB, West End is a picture postcard beach near the West End with limited amenities, There is a resort there, and also a public restaurant/bar, unsure about lounges. 

LB, Beef Island had no amenities but now cruise lines have excursions here and provide amenities. Not sure if you can rent lounges if you go on your own…

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2023 at 10:11 AM, FLcruisergrl said:

You are free to use the beach lounges at whatever bar you purchase from (Soggy, Hendo’s, Gertrude’s). It’s a great excursion.

Can you tell me what you mean by "whatever bar you purchase from"?  Do you mean purchase the lounges for rent or more like purchase lunch and/or drinks so you can use the chairs?   We'd like to go to Hendo's while there but since it's an inn with overnight guests, not sure how it works for their lounges.  We definitely want to have lunch there!  We're going in mid April.  Thanks in advance.

On 12/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, TenForward said:

Can you tell me what you mean by "whatever bar you purchase from"?  Do you mean purchase the lounges for rent or more like purchase lunch and/or drinks so you can use the chairs?   We'd like to go to Hendo's while there but since it's an inn with overnight guests, not sure how it works for their lounges.  We definitely want to have lunch there!  We're going in mid April.  Thanks in advance.

Meaning you can use the loungers at Hendo’s if you purchase food or drink from them. There are different loungers for The Hideout guests a little further down. You’re fine to use the orange ones.

Edited by FLcruisergrl
  • Thanks 1