Alaska Cruise Rain.....

MonikaJ42

Hi All

We are 4 days away from our cruise, so excited!.  I just looked up the weather forecast for the ports and it looks like a mix of rain and sun. 

Juneau, 100% rain forecasted for the 4th 😞  We booked the salmon bake, could it possibly be cancelled? Are the tables covered?

How's Alaska in the rain?

It is what it is but was so hoping for good weather...

Thanks in advance!

i did 21 days....back in late may into june

first 10 days rained almost every day, foggy, cold and pretty dismal....next 11 days not a drop with nice sunny skies....u never can be quite sure in alaska....as for ports when raining...better have a good umbrella and be flexible...i think a lot of shore excursions would not be good at all if raining...the gondola in juneau was covered in clouds at the top so can't imagine anyone wanting to do that as no visual at all...

Alaska - Vancouver to Whittier return August 6-20. Rain / cloudy / windy / cool for twelve straight days. Still enjoyed every single minute of it. I am Canadian so perhaps I have a hardier constitution - shorts and hoodie every day. That being said, the wind I Skagway on the return portion was unlike anything I have ever experienced.

I was at the aft pool as we were docking - not exactly a shrinking violet (6 foot 4 and 190 pounds) and I had to hold on to one of the lamp posts to keep from being blown over. Several excursions got cancelled that day for safety reasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MonikaJ42 said:

Hi All

We are 4 days away from our cruise, so excited!.  I just looked up the weather forecast for the ports and it looks like a mix of rain and sun. 

Juneau, 100% rain forecasted for the 4th 😞  We booked the salmon bake, could it possibly be cancelled? Are the tables covered?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you are on my cruise...the Eurodam the 2nd.  I am packing layers and an umbrella.  This is my 10th Alaska cruise, sailing in every month.  Weather is always unpredictable.  Never had an excursion cancelled.  Alaska is spectacular whatever the weather!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonikaJ42 said:

Hi All

Thanks in advance!

There's a good reason we refer to this coast as the North Wet Coast. Activities usually don't get cancelled due to rain, as we are used to it.

If rain is an issue, I suggest bringing a brolly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dockman said:

i did 21 days....back in late may into june

first 10 days rained almost every day, foggy, cold and pretty dismal....next 11 days not a drop with nice sunny skies....u never can be quite sure in alaska....as for ports when raining...better have a good umbrella and be flexible...i think a lot of shore excursions would not be good at all if raining...the gondola in juneau was covered in clouds at the top so can't imagine anyone wanting to do that as no visual at all...

Just remember southeast AK is in a temperate rain forest, in fact, one of the largest in the world, so yes you're likely to encounter rain.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r10/about-region/overview/?cid=fsbdev2_038671

So long as not a heavy downpour, don't let clouds keep you from going up on the tram in Juneau - the hiking trails at the top are very pretty. 

Ketchikan is one of our favorite ports to visit in the rain - we do an ATV ride that is better the wetter it is, even in full rain. The tour operator provides mud gear and helmet, you provide gloves. You're rewarded with a visit to a waterfall and maybe 👀 some 🐋  🐳 

Enjoy God's country - safe travels!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Just remember southeast AK is in a temperate rain forest, in fact, one of the largest in the world, so yes you're likely to encounter rain.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r10/about-region/overview/?cid=fsbdev2_038671

So long as not a heavy downpour, don't let clouds keep you from going up on the tram in Juneau - the hiking trails at the top are very pretty. 

Ketchikan is one of our favorite ports to visit in the rain - we do an ATV ride that is better the wetter it is, even in full rain. The tour operator provides mud gear and helmet, you provide gloves. You're rewarded with a visit to a waterfall and maybe 👀 some 🐋  🐳 

Enjoy God's country - safe travels!!

As always up to you.  Personally i prefer more on the sunny side but alaska can be very pretty in all different conditions....except when it rains all day everyday which i have also experienced...I have been to alaska in may june july aug and sept...i seen fire and i've seen rain..i've seen sunny days that i thought would never end....to quote James Taylor...

weather comes under the category of things out of our control so just take it as it comes...i hope OP will get at least a few sunny days as it really can be spectacular when you can see long distances and not all low cloud fog banks....

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, dockman said:

As always up to you.  Personally i prefer more on the sunny side but alaska can be very pretty in all different conditions....except when it rains all day everyday which i have also experienced...I have been to alaska in may june july aug and sept...i seen fire and i've seen rain..i've seen sunny days that i thought would never end....to quote James Taylor...

weather comes under the category of things out of our control so just take it as it comes...i hope OP will get at least a few sunny days as it really can be spectacular when you can see long distances and not all low cloud fog banks....

James Taylor  - thanks for that, I love that 🎵 🎶 

Yes, sunny AK is stunning. I just wanted OP to realize there are things to do almost no matter the weather. 

In May, we were blessed with piercing blue skies, a bit of rain and clouds.

20230429_111755.jpg

20230501_115314.jpg

20230502_120925.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2

The only excursion in Alaska that I have had cancelled was a float plane trip.  It was pea soup fog that day.  

My brother who lives near Austin Texas is going on his first cruise ever to Alaska in two weeks and they are actually looking forward to some rain and cool weather.....I wonder why???  🤔

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

The only excursion in Alaska that I have had cancelled was a float plane trip.  It was pea soup fog that day.  

My brother who lives near Austin Texas is going on his first cruise ever to Alaska in two weeks and they are actually looking forward to some rain and cool weather.....I wonder why???  🤔

Right... maybe 122 is too much for him? 🫣

20230821_164226.jpg

Weather in Alaska is very variable. Can be grey and cool and rainy in the morning, and warm enough for a t shirt and shorts by mid afternoon. Several of the ports tend to be extremely windy as well. Make sure you have a good hooded rain jacket with you that is large enough to accommodate a sweater or additional layer under it.  That way you can add or subtract layers as needed for comfort. In my experience, umbrellas are a waste of time in Alaska. High winds in many ports tend to destroy them and they are useless on many shore excursions because they require more separation than is sometimes available between tour participants. Also, make sure you have an additional pair of sneakers/hiking shoes along so you have a pair to wear while your other ones dry out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Loreto said:

Sounds like you are on my cruise...the Eurodam the 2nd.  I am packing layers and an umbrella.  This is my 10th Alaska cruise, sailing in every month.  Weather is always unpredictable.  Never had an excursion cancelled.  Alaska is spectacular whatever the weather!

No we are on the Koningsdam out of Vancouver ☺️ Thanks so much for your response!

12 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

James Taylor  - thanks for that, I love that 🎵 🎶 

Yes, sunny AK is stunning. I just wanted OP to realize there are things to do almost no matter the weather. 

In May, we were blessed with piercing blue skies, a bit of rain and clouds.

20230429_111755.jpg

20230501_115314.jpg

20230502_120925.jpg

Thank you, beautiful pictures!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonikaJ42 said:

No we are on the Koningsdam out of Vancouver ☺️ Thanks so much for your response!

Enjoy the Koningsdam.....especially Gelato and Grand Dutch Cafe☺️! Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MonikaJ42 said:

Even though rain is forecast, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be raining all the time. On our cruise last September, in Ketchikan (which is in the heart of the rain forest) it rained constantly on our black bear walk, but not enough to cause a problem. We were given rain ponchos. 

In Juneau it looked cloudy, but cleared up and was beautiful.

• Like 1

You just never know what the weather will be like. My last time was a B2B. First run the weather was beautiful, second run not as nice. Many years ago, tendering in Juneau, it was raining pretty good. I commented to the dock worker about. He said " Naw, this is just a sprinkle".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1