Possible Price Increase for Drinks packages on Cunard

Bell Boy

27 minutes ago, aday10 said:

I have heard from Cunard today that the $90 is for sailings under 5 nights if purchased onboard, or $85 if purchased on myCunard before sailing.
This has apparently gone live onboard QE on 17th August and will be available from 30th August. QM2 from 1st September and then 15th September for QV. 

For sailings 5 nights and more there will be no change. And they apparently do not know where the 12th September has come from. 

Reliable sources apparently  .... I  guess time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Reliable sources apparently  ....

I never trust what Cunard say, just hope they actually announce this officially before 12 September so I can make a decision before any increases! 

28 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Should one have to pay 20%, or more, for a drink in the Commodore, or Chart, on Cunard, then so be it.  It’s only one small part, of so many memorable and enjoyable experiences, when taking a Cunard Voyage.  Happy to pay to get what one wishes.  Just living life free and easy.

Unfortunately with a little one in nursery my budget is a lot more restricted than it used to be so if drinks prices keep going up I'll be priced out even if I would rather be on Cunard. I won't be the only one who has to reduce spending on luxuries to meet spiralling living costs.

2 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

Unfortunately with a little one in nursery my budget is a lot more restricted than it used to be so if drinks prices keep going up I'll be priced out even if I would rather be on Cunard. I won't be the only one who has to reduce spending on luxuries to meet spiralling living costs.

I have logged into all my bookings and the prices of the drinks options hasn't changed, yet. I wonder if we will get notification of any changes, not that it would affect us.

3 hours ago, aday10 said:

I have heard from Cunard today that the $90 is for sailings under 5 nights if purchased onboard, or $85 if purchased on myCunard before sailing.
This has apparently gone live onboard QE on 17th August and will be available from 30th August. QM2 from 1st September and then 15th September for QV. 

For sailings 5 nights and more there will be no change. And they apparently do not know where the 12th September has come from. 

I think I may just purchase my drinks package for next September just incase, but it’s a lot of money that I had not planned for yet. 

Well if that's true Cunard appear to have gone to a lot of trouble producing those fliers.

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Well if that's true Cunard appear to have gone to a lot of trouble producing those fliers.

They will still need the fliers for the short cruises of less than 5 nights, so not wasted 🙂 

From the Cunard FAQ for travel agents:

World of Drinks 

Voyages of five nights or more

Voyages of under five nights

My Cunard price

On board price

My Cunard price

On board price

Beers, Wines and Spirits

$70

$75

$85

$90

Premium Soft Drinks

$30

$35

$30

$35

Speciality Hot Drinks

$12.50

$15

$12.50

$15

Soft Drinks

$10

$12

$10

$12

The packages will be available to purchase via My Cunard from 30 August, however the on board go-live dates vary. Queen Elizabeth from 17 August, Queen Mary 2 from 01 September and Queen Victoria from 15 September.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• Host Hattie changed the title to Possible Price Increase for Drinks packages on Cunard

Also from the Cunard FAQ for travel agents:

Voyages of five nights or more

Cunard World of Drinks flyer for voyages of five nights or more

Cunard World of Drinks flyer for voyages of under five nights

Edit to add:

I suppose I should not be too surprised to see the flyer for voyages of under five nights retains this wording. 🤔

"Please note: All Drink Options are only available on
voyages of five nights or more, for purchase only on the
first two days of the voyage and must be purchased for
all remaining days of your voyage."

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 4

$90 for shorter trips makes sense from a business point of view. It's a lot more likely for people to order a high number of drinks over a shorter time. I have an upcoming trip at the end of November (Eastern Caribbean), so it looks like I don't need to rush into buying the package. 

I see new Dinks package policy increased the price of cocktails covered from $12 to $13. I can now order that $12.30 Old Fashioned under the new policy. There are many nice cocktails offered between $12-13 that are now covered. 

39 minutes ago, NE John said:

I see new Dinks package policy increased the price of cocktails covered from $12 to $13. I can now order that $12.30 Old Fashioned under the new policy. There are many nice cocktails offered between $12-13 that are now covered. 

Your mention of the increased $13 price limit per drink for the Beers, Wines & Spirits package brings up a difference worth mentioning regarding the limit for that package listed in the flyer for voyages of under five nights.

The flyer for the Beers, Wines & Spirits package for voyages of five nights or more (at $75 per night on board price) does indeed list an increased price limit of $13 per drink.

The flyer for the Beers, Wines & Spirits package for voyages of under five nights (at $90 per night on board price) lists a slightly higher price limit of $13.50 per drink.

And just to add some confusion, there are separate Terms and Conditions documents for the different voyage lengths. Both of those Terms and Conditions documents indicate the price limit per drink is $13.50 regardless of the voyage length.

So it will be interesting to see if the price limit per drink for voyages of five nights or more is going to be increased to $13 (per the flyer) or $13.50 (per the Terms and Conditions document).

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Your mention of the increased $13 price limit per drink for the Beers, Wines & Spirits package brings up a difference worth mentioning regarding the limit for that package listed in the flyer for voyages of under five nights.

The flyer for the Beers, Wines & Spirits package for voyages of five nights or more (at $75 per night on board price) does indeed list an increased price limit of $13 per drink.

The flyer for the Beers, Wines & Spirits package for voyages of under five nights (at $90 per night on board price) lists a slightly higher price limit of $13.50 per drink.

And just to add some confusion, there are separate Terms and Conditions documents for the different voyage lengths. Both of those Terms and Conditions documents indicate the price limit per drink is $13.50 regardless of the voyage length.

So it will be interesting to see if the price limit per drink for voyages of five nights or more is going to be increased to $13 (per the flyer) or $13.50 (per the Terms and Conditions document).

I'm a bit confused. The drink price limit on board has been $13 since at least early this year (when the package went from $69 to $70 I think).

When I purchased a drinks package yesterday for a cruise over 5 nights in length, the drink price limit was advertised as $13.50. I wasn't altogether surprised as I had seen that figure mentioned here already.

I wonder if the $12 the earlier poster is referring to is the price limit imposed by Cunard on the free drinks packages they offer through some fares in the US market. I have read that they have slightly different terms and conditions.

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm a bit confused. The drink price limit on board has been $13 since at least early this year (when the package went from $69 to $70 I think).

When I purchased a drinks package yesterday for a cruise over 5 nights in length, the drink price limit was advertised as $13.50. I wasn't altogether surprised as I had seen that figure mentioned here already.

I wonder if the $12 the earlier poster is referring to is the price limit imposed by Cunard on the free drinks packages they offer through some fares in the US market. I have read that they have slightly different terms and conditions.

On our June TA, there was a $12 limit. I was covered under US Grills promotion so maybe that promotion has separate terms from those paying $70/day. 

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

On our June TA, there was a $12 limit. I was covered under US Grills promotion so maybe that promotion has separate terms from those paying $70/day. 

Yes, that's it, John. I have previously read they give you a different limit than the regular paid-for one. Mystery solved!

There are some very nice wines and cocktails between $12 and $13.

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

My mistake. Yes, the drink price limit for the Beers, Wines & Spirits package was increased from $12 to $13 sometime late last year or early this year. I had looked up the previous limit from a World of Drinks brochure I had downloaded that was a couple years old. That's where I went wrong.

By the way, the "A World of Drinks"/"Drinks Options" page on the main Cunard website has been updated. Here's what it now says about the Beers, Wines & Spirits package.

Beers, Wines, and Spirits Option

For voyages over five nights, US$70pp per day inclusive of 15% service charge. (On board price is US$70 pp, per day, inclusive of 15% service charge).

For voyages under five nights, US$85pp, per day inclusive of 15% service charge. (On board price is US$90pp, per day, inclusive of 15% service charge).

Enjoy an array of beers, wines, spirits, liqueurs, and cocktails up to $13.50 per serving, as well as all the benefits of the Premium Soft Drinks Option. Plus, you'll also receive a 20% discount on drinks retailing above $13.50, some bottles of wine, Cunard Wine Academy, and Cocktail Master Class activities.

There appears to be a typo since they have quoted the on board price as $70 instead of $75 for voyages over five nights. Also, the wording "For voyages over five nights" really ought to read "For voyages over four nights" or "For voyages of five nights or more" instead. Sigh.

I was hoping to see drinks packages starting to be offered today in My Cunard for my upcoming 4-night Hamburg Short Break cruise next month, but they aren't showing up there yet. My booking for that cruise still says drinks packages are "Only available on cruises over four nights." I'll keep checking and post if/when drinks packages are offered in My Cunard for that 4-night cruise.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

On 8/29/2023 at 12:24 PM, aday10 said:

I think I may just purchase my drinks package for next September just incase, but it’s a lot of money that I had not planned for yet. 

Thank You for a full clarification of the increase.  My post referring to 12th September (from a Cunard source)  was  over a casual drink & lunch this Bank Holiday weekend . Wont split hairs, I expect they were referring to the Q.Vic procedure going live 'around' the 12th /15th Sept .  The original  post was to highlight the upcoming increase in drink packages.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Thank You for a full clarification of the increase.  My post referring to 12th September (from a Cunard source)  was  over a casual drink & lunch this Bank Holiday weekend . Wont split hairs, I expect they were referring to the Q.Vic procedure going live 'around' the 12th /15th Sept .  The original  post was to highlight the upcoming increase in drink packages.    

Fortunately the original post was incorrect. There is no upcoming increase in prices, the price increase was earlier in the year. 

The new price of $90 is for cruises where packages haven't been available in the past.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Fortunately the original post was incorrect. There is no upcoming increase in prices, the price increase was earlier in the year. 

The new price of $90 is for cruises where packages haven't been available in the past.

You are correct, however, you are splitting hairs here.  I highlighted a future increase in the concept of the drinks packages.      

• Like 1

Not splitting hairs for us! We thought our trip was going to increase significantly in price. A minor increase from last time ($70/$75 when we paid $69 before) is worth it to us to have that one week where we don’t have to think about what things cost. $90 is more than a small percentage increase.

• Like 3

And for the benefit of those not familiar with the packages, previously the drink packages, alcoholic or otherwise were not offered for shorter cruises, under 5 days, at least in most markets or on board, I guess some TAs may have had an arrangement. For me as a non drinker but a serial shortie this is a modest improvement since realistically the soft drink options were not usually good value on Crossings or longer trips. and for shorter trips - where the pattern of consumption could be higher - packages previously were not available at all.

On 8/28/2023 at 5:15 PM, NE John said:

This new price increase is making sailing in the Grills (for US pax…🙁) more attractive when service charges and drinks packages included. Maybe that’s Cunard’s goal. 

Think you may be forgetting that inflation in Great Britain has been running 6% or higher over the past 3 years and hit 10% in 2022   As bad as inflation has been in the U.S., it's been worse in Britain.  

56 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Think you may be forgetting that inflation in Great Britain has been running 6% or higher over the past 3 years and hit 10% in 2022   As bad as inflation has been in the U.S., it's been worse in Britain.  

Indeed. I felt that inflation after spent most of June in the UK before taking the QM2 back to home. I fully emphasize. 
My comment was more about Cunard raising drinks package prices to possibly incentivize US pax to sign up for Grills promotion that includes the Drinks package and service charges. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, bluemarble said:

The packages will be available to purchase via My Cunard from 30 August, however the on board go-live dates vary. Queen Elizabeth from 17 August, Queen Mary 2 from 01 September and Queen Victoria from 15 September.

On 8/30/2023 at 8:00 AM, bluemarble said:

I was hoping to see drinks packages starting to be offered today in My Cunard for my upcoming 4-night Hamburg Short Break cruise next month, but they aren't showing up there yet. My booking for that cruise still says drinks packages are "Only available on cruises over four nights." I'll keep checking and post if/when drinks packages are offered in My Cunard for that 4-night cruise.

I've been reading on other social media that the new $90 drinks package for voyages under five nights has indeed been rolled out for those booking on board QM2's 3-night Le Havre Short Break cruise which departed yesterday, 1 September (in line with the go-live date for QM2 in the first quote above).

So far though, I am not seeing drinks packages being offered yet in My Cunard for the 18 September 4-night Hamburg Short Break cruise on QM2. Will continue to keep an eye on My Cunard for further developments on that score.

• Like 1