New Informal Trend Permanent?

LocoLoco1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:20 AM, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

I think this change may be mostly due to airline luggage restrictions.  The downsizing of allowances there makes it more difficult to fit all of the “used once and done “ items.

A very valid point.   We have always  had issues with how much I pack and also how I proportion % luggage space to me/him 🤪 There is some eye rolling at excess luggage fees, but  happy wife, happy life, he says, bless  him.  

However, part of the attraction for the cruise is dressing up.  As simple farmers normally clad in flannels and ripped jeans and nary a hairbrush in sight..... we (me!) look forward to high heels and posh frocks galore.

Love seeing others dressed up but don't care if they haven't.  To each their own of course.

I really do hate the term "dressy" night tho.  I much prefer another lines term of "elegant"  night.  :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yup.  I've never understood equating getting more because you paid more to a class system.

Paying for "reserved" spaces onboard a ship, allowing  exclusive use only for those who pay for them. A leap from what is happening on HAL ships - cabanas included -- and ships that have dedicated reserved spaces.

One can create a quasi-ship within a ship on HAL now too.  But it still requires general passenger mingling in the hallways. Is that the appeal of the ships designed to be ships within a ship, like days of yore on the strictly-classed ships?

• Like 1

Interesting how the topic about formal wear or not has become about ship in ship and special "suite only" spaces. We just got off of Zaandam and very few dressed up on dressy nights. There was a couple who renewed their vows and they were in Bride and Groom mode. It was cool to see them. I'm really not interested in lugging my tux on vacation and I'm glad that "formal night" is slipping away. For those who choose to dress up good on you, you look great. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've sailed in MSC Yacht Club, a true ship within a ship, twice, and in all of my research into Club Orange I can conclusively say that it has virtually nothing in common with Yacht Club.  Which is not a knock on Club Orange, which I have on both of my upcoming cruises (yup both - booked the second one today! - Yay!), as it costs waaay less and is not intended to compete in any way, shape, or form with Yacht Club.  It's like comparing apples with carburetors.

OK, OK.  I give up.  Sounds like the attitude of the people I encountered on the Eurodam when I boarded at San Diego for a quick Coastal.  There were some who where already on from the Canal cruise and looked down on us Coastal folks like we were intruding on their space...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Paying for "reserved" spaces onboard a ship, allowing  exclusive use only for those who pay for them. A leap from what is happening on HAL ships - cabanas included -- and ships that have dedicated reserved spaces.

One can create a quasi-ship within a ship on HAL now too.  But it still requires general passenger mingling in the hallways. Is that the appeal of the ships designed to be ships within a ship, like days of yore on the strictly-classed ships?

No, it says more about envy than anything else.  The appeal of a ship within a ship like MSC's Yacht Club, as compared with small luxury lines, is that you CAN go out and enjoy the wider activities and ambiance outside of the enclave that a large ship provides.  

16 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

No, it says more about envy than anything else.  The appeal of a ship within a ship like MSC's Yacht Club, as compared with small luxury lines, is that you CAN go out and enjoy the wider activities and ambiance outside of the enclave that a large ship provides.  

Depending on the ship (older NCL and Celebrity ships, all Cunard ships - don't know about MSC, as I have not been on them), there isn't a geographically isolated area that includes both the cabins and the suite amenity areas all together. It is still necessary to traverse the ship's corridors to get from your stateroom to the suite-only areas.

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

Depending on the ship (older NCL and Celebrity ships, all Cunard ships - don't know about MSC, as I have not been on them), there isn't a geographically isolated area that includes both the cabins and the suite amenity areas all together. It is still necessary to traverse the ship's corridors to get from your stateroom to the suite-only areas.

17 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

You didn't comment on the topic at hand, is the shift away from formal nights trending towards being permanent. The whole suite "Class" system is another topic often discussed on every cruise line boards. This isn't that.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 7:41 AM, Blackduck59 said:

You didn't comment on the topic at hand, is the shift away from formal nights trending towards being permanent. The whole suite "Class" system is another topic often discussed on every cruise line boards. This isn't that.

I responded to the topic of the post I quoted.  Threads drift.  Like your post, that I am responding to is about thread policing, and is also a shift away from formal nights trending towards being permanent.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 6:05 AM, ExArkie said:

On the older ships with MSC Yacht Club the cabins, lounge, and sundeck were in the front and the restaurant was in the rear, so you had to traverse the whole ship for meals.  In the later ships everything is in the front and you can stay in the enclave and never leave it for the whole cruise should you wish.  But I don't think anyone does that.

53 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I responded to the topic of the post I quoted.  Threads drift.  Like your post, that I am responding to is about thread policing, and is also a shift away from formal nights trending towards being permanent.

Oops you still didn't comment about the topic at hand and you are still commenting on another topic. I will continue to respond when quoted so probably best to not quote me again.

I know all about thread drift, I have started and maintained many that do just that. Most times while drifting the topic at hand is in the conversation.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Oops you still didn't comment about the topic at hand and you are still commenting on another topic. I will continue to respond when quoted so probably best to not quote me again.

I know all about thread drift, I have started and maintained many that do just that. Most times while drifting the topic at hand is in the conversation.

After all, the "OP" did scold you once for drifting......... on your own thread. That was a classic thread moment.

• Thanks 1