My Arvia Review

jrphotog

9 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy Arvia as much as you hoped you would. Will you be looking to go back on Iona next instead? 

The cruise we have booked on Arvia in April I would change to Iona in a heartbeat but unfortunately Iona is only doing 7mt cruises to Norway for rest of summer and other times we already have other cruises booked.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The cruise we have booked on Arvia in April I would change to Iona in a heartbeat but unfortunately Iona is only doing 7mt cruises to Norway for rest of summer and other times we already have other cruises booked.

Thank you for your honest opinion. As a matter of interest are you able to expand on the differences between the two ships, is it just the atmosphere, staffing issues, clientele or were there other major differences which made Arvia less enjoyable? 

As someone who disliked Arvia enormously I had assumed I would find the same problems with Iona and have therefore avoided booking a cruise on her based on this.  If I am wrongly assuming they are more or less the same it would be very helpful to know. Thank you.

37 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you for your honest opinion. As a matter of interest are you able to expand on the differences between the two ships, is it just the atmosphere, staffing issues, clientele or were there other major differences which made Arvia less enjoyable? 

As someone who disliked Arvia enormously I had assumed I would find the same problems with Iona and have therefore avoided booking a cruise on her based on this.  If I am wrongly assuming they are more or less the same it would be very helpful to know. Thank you.

Staffing issues the staff seemed miserable all around the ship even the entertainment team didn't seem happy. Even though there was not a lot of children there seemed a lot more younger couples and groups of young. Without appearing snobbish dress code in the evening in all areas of the ship even on formal nights was poor with many wearing shorts and training shoes. There are still minor issues with eating in MDR even though we booked for 1830pm every night 24 days before cruise which we never had issues with Iona when we used virtual queue for varying times with no waits. They are also encouraging you to eat away from MDR with special one night menus in The Quays.The main issue for me more than Iona  is it is obviously being pushed as main family ship but majority of year children will be at school and do fewer onboard but everything is run with them in mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I was thinking the same. Even with a wheelchair we found (on Iona) that around 15 mins before was sufficient. On Britannia 5 mins was enough!

On Iona, with the exception of most of the restaurants (where service was generally very good) we noticed that a lot of the staff didn’t seem terribly happy. We put this down to them being overworked. The ship was incredibly busy and they seemed short staffed in places, particularly the bars and the coffee shop. Thinking about it, a cruise ship can’t ‘flex’ up staffing levels in peak periods in the same way that a land based hotel can. 

They can’t ‘flex’ up staffing levels, but they jolly well flex up the price in peak periods. You pay more for inferior service. Very unfair. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We have booked Arvia for April. Most of the things people moan about are things that don't bother us. We eat about a third of the time in the MDR. If the wait is a bit long, there are plenty of alternatives.  If the lifts are similar to Iona, that will do .If it's rubbish, we won't book it again.

• Like 2

We too returned yesterday from Arvia. I can't agree about the staff looking miserable - we found them to be very good. I do agree about the films though, nearly all aimed at kids & nothing to interest us at all. I can understand that in the school holidays but even though there were only 126 under 18s aboard - still far too many of those who should have been in school - the ship did seem more geared to them.

We enjoyed the ports, the weather & the increased dining options and the Headliners were brilliant. Most pax seemed to enjoy Jo Rochelle & The Flyrights but they weren't to my taste. I managed to win a few individual quizzes so ended up with my usual lot of pen & keyring sets!

Overall we enjoyed the cruise but with 5287 pax aboard we thought it a bit too big & crowded and preferred Azura & Arcadia. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We have booked Arvia for April. Most of the things people moan about are things that don't bother us. We eat about a third of the time in the MDR. If the wait is a bit long, there are plenty of alternatives.  If the lifts are similar to Iona, that will do .If it's rubbish, we won't book it again.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.  In fairness my complaint wasn't food or entertainment, as you know it was noise, staff attitude and disorganisation for the ports.  The ship itself is nice and the entertainment was excellent.  I doubt in April it will have so many children either being between Easter and May bank holiday.  We had pretty grotty weather despite it being May which did mean certain places were very busy as there were 8 seadays, again weather will hopefully not be a problem in April.  I doubt it will be rubbish, most likely you'll have a great time, it's just not a ship for me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

They can’t ‘flex’ up staffing levels, but they jolly well flex up the price in peak periods. You pay more for inferior service. Very unfair. 

That's a wee bit unfair on P&O,  every holiday company increases prices during school holiday periods, unfortunately it's just a factor of supply and demand.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That's a wee bit unfair on P&O,  every holiday company increases prices during school holiday periods, unfortunately it's just a factor of supply and demand.

A UK SC holiday in August is about double the price of non peak. That's the way of the world. Nothing unusual, as you say.

• Like 2

We enjoy them both, been on Iona 3 times and Arvia twice, we have two other cruises booked one on each. They are both very similar not a lot of difference for us. My wife is a wheel chair user and they are far better for accessibility than the rest of the P&O fleet we know we have been on them all. As for lifts we have the same experience what ever ship. they are busy at dinning times so.... we live with it. but what I can say is that it was far more difficult to get a lift when it was just club dinning when everyone needed a lift at those times. So they may not be everyone's favourite but they are for us now. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm sure you'll have a great time.  In fairness my complaint wasn't food or entertainment, as you know it was noise, staff attitude and disorganisation for the ports.  The ship itself is nice and the entertainment was excellent.  I doubt in April it will have so many children either being between Easter and May bank holiday.  We had pretty grotty weather despite it being May which did mean certain places were very busy as there were 8 seadays, again weather will hopefully not be a problem in April.  I doubt it will be rubbish, most likely you'll have a great time, it's just not a ship for me.

Thanks. The problem for me is that folk repeat, over and over the same few issues. Ones that generally won't affect our enjoyment. I stubbed my toe on that stupid coffee table on Iona. It took a year for the black bit to grow out. Do I bang on about it ?.....Hardly ever.🤣

• Haha 7

Just now, zap99 said:

Thanks. The problem for me is that folk repeat, over and over the same few issues. Ones that generally won't affect our enjoyment. I stubbed my toe on that stupid coffee table on Iona. It took a year for the black bit to grow out. Do I bang on about it ?.....Hardly ever.🤣

The problem is those same issues are obviously still repeating.  They don't seem to be getting put right and what doesn't affect your enjoyment is clearly still impacting others.  If people sailing don't report back they'll never get put right.  They may seem repetitive to some but to those having their holiday impacted it may well be a problem that stops them enjoying what they've paid for.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

The problem is those same issues are obviously still repeating.  They don't seem to be getting put right and what doesn't affect your enjoyment is clearly still impacting others.  If people sailing don't report back they'll never get put right.  They may seem repetitive to some but to those having their holiday impacted it may well be a problem that stops them enjoying what they've paid for.  

The lifts are deemed by some to be too small on Arvia. Will adverse reports make them bigger ?....I doubt it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The lifts are deemed by some to be too small on Arvia. Will adverse reports make them bigger ?....I doubt it.

Probably not but making the app work properly, organising enough transport shuttles, ensuring that you don't have to queue to join a queue, upholding your own rules on swimming pool safety and dress codes etc are surely something within their control, and with regard to the latter if as a company you really don't care how people dress do away with your "code" so those booking at least know what to expect.

Little things mean a lot as they say ...

• Like 11

Well said, Megabear.

We too were on Arvia in May, and I remember only too well spending the best part of our day in Palma queuing for shuttle buses in both directions. Luckily as you say the weather wasn’t too good otherwise it would have been dreadful having to wait for over 2 hours in hot sunshine for the return shuttle bus. Also, the fiasco of trying to get a table in MDR for meals will remain in my mind for ever.

• Like 4

Like I said previously we prebooked for 1830 for those nights that we had not booked in speciality restaurants. We requested not to share a table in Zenith but every night they asked if you would like to share and even tried to bribe you in saying if you are happy to share a table you can have one by a window. On the first evening even though we had prebooked there was a massive queue and I asked politely what was the benefit of booking a set time pre cruise. Was told that pre booking doesn't mean you don't have to queue it just means that when you get to the front you are guaranteed a table and will be turned away with pager. Food in MDR was very good and in Epicurean, Sindhu and Beach House was excellent. Olive Grove was disappointing compared to Iona as was never open for lunch and menu was far inferior with poorer choice compared to Iona. 6th Street dinner was very disappointing with very poor service and not great food. We booked a table for 2 on My Holiday and when we arrived woman on entrance desk asked for cabin number as they always do and then said rather rudely "if you don't share a table you will have to have a pager and return later". I refused to share a table and then suddenly we were placed on a table for 5 and 2 table settings were taken away.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

On the first evening even though we had prebooked there was a massive queue and I asked politely what was the benefit of booking a set time pre cruise. Was told that pre booking doesn't mean you don't have to queue it just means that when you get to the front you are guaranteed a table and will be turned away with pager. 

This comment was incorrect on my part and when noticed was too late to change it.  It should have read "Was told that pre booking doesn't mean you don't have to queue it just means that when you get to the front you are guaranteed a table and will NOT be turned away with a pager". Sorry my mistake.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Ok, probably applies to all cruiselines, not just P&O. Still unfair, but of course, doesn’t affect many of the retirees here who go on holiday several times a year and who can brush off a slightly disappointing holiday every now and then because, hey, we’ve got another one in a few weeks. I’m sorry, but I don’t like that ‘just suck it up’ attitude. All cruiselines should still be adequately staffed even in busy periods,  all the more so when considering that prices are higher. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

A UK SC holiday in August is about double the price of non peak. That's the way of the world. Nothing unusual, as you say.

Yes Zap, I’m well aware of that being in the hospitality business myself. Which is why we provide additional treats for our guests in peak periods - they’ve paid more. Cruiselines seem to do the opposite - you pay more in peak periods but often have to put up with an inferior product. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Ok, probably applies to all cruiselines, not just P&O. Still unfair, but of course, doesn’t affect many of the retirees here who go on holiday several times a year and who can brush off a slightly disappointing holiday every now and then because, hey, we’ve got another one in a few weeks. I’m sorry, but I don’t like that ‘just suck it up’ attitude. All cruiselines should still be adequately staffed even in busy periods,  all the more so when considering that prices are higher. 

There are a limited number of crew cabins  so unless you are advocating they sleep in shifts, then it's difficult for a cruise ship to increase staff numbers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Apparently the cutbacks will hit the Christmas cruises. Staff cuts in the panto. Snow White and the 6 dwarfs. One of them isn't happy.🥳

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Apparently the cutbacks will hit the Christmas cruises. Staff cuts in the panto. Snow White and the 6 dwarfs. One of them isn't happy.🥳

I realise Paul Ludlow looks quite diminutive🤣, but didn’t think he was part of the on board entertainment!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

There are a limited number of crew cabins  so unless you are advocating they sleep in shifts, then it's difficult for a cruise ship to increase staff numbers.

We’ve discussed this before. The issue should have been considered during the planning stage. They’re getting away with offering an inferior product at inflated prices during school holidays. So the only advocating I would do is to suggest that they, at managerial level, think of ways of better deploying their staff during the peak periods. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:56 PM, Ardennais said:

Yes Zap, I’m well aware of that being in the hospitality business myself. Which is why we provide additional treats for our guests in peak periods - they’ve paid more. Cruiselines seem to do the opposite - you pay more in peak periods but often have to put up with an inferior product. 

I would argue that cruises are designed and staffed and priced for when  they are full and that's the standard cruise

Those people able to book outside of the full/peak times just get the benefits and advantages that come when cruising with less passengers on board?