Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

1 hour ago, Lady Pubnico said:

Leave yourself lots of time to work on the E-Visa application.  It’s buggy and a lot of error messages with no indication of how to fix them - e.g., I had to delete my postal code entirely; when writing a paragraph you can’t put a double space after a period, and there are more.

It took me about 3.5 hours to fill out a short form and upload a picture of my passport.

A woman on FB got stuck and paid a lot of money to Visa Central to do it.

But yes, the turnaround was very fast.  It may be slower now that there are more applications.

Thank you.  I actually found out about the double space after a period and only certain characters allowed after I sent an inquiry on their site. Lol!  I just don't want to apply for the e-Visa yet until the update is officially posted by the Canadian govt or Embassy that an e-Visa is valid for entry into Egypt for Canadian passport holders of non-Egyptian origin after Oct 1. We are under such a time crunch as we will have to cancel our Egypt trip very soon if we can't enter with an e-Visa in Nov.

1 hour ago, GeraldLucie said:

Could someone give the link of where you applied for your evisa.

Is it still possible to apply for an evisa?, I read (somewhere) that after September 1st, it was not possible to apply for an evisa.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Canadian Cruisers board.

Here's a link to the e-visa portal:

https://visa2egypt.gov.eg/eVisa/Home;jsessionid=lOs27TuNmMJ3Hr68o9EXsBH4Po5gCLw3oKM2d674.pp-ui-01?VISTK=BAIV-FYK0-2RM6-BKVB-VT8Q-48RJ-9JUZ-N6K2-WHUP-9RYG-S06L-MOF2-77HC-IU1C-GPFE-MPI0

There continues to be some uncertainty, but it appears now that any e-visa issued prior to October 1 will be accepted for the duration of its period of validity. You might want to read through the thread to get a better understanding of the issues.

• Thanks 1

🎉🍾🎉👏🥳😁

Hurray!  Just got updated information from my link to the Montreal Consulate FB site.  People with E-Visas before October 1st, they’re valid for the period stated in the Visa!
Also instructions for other Visas (see below).  Sorry the FB copy is fuzzy.  Perhaps go to the Consulate FB page.

F1360F4B-6D61-422D-9008-D62E1B484419.png

• Like 4

Canadian Global Affairs has not yet updated their online information.

Thank you so much for the update! 🙂 That's great news! It was posted on the Egyptian Embassy of Ottawa FB page 3 hrs ago too.  Just checked travel.gc.ca, and not updated yet. I hope Global Affairs updates their info soon.

A thank you to Sparkleypinkcruiser, oceanlovertoo and Ladypubnico and everyone else for all helping with the information you managed to attain and pass along up keep our hopes up through the weekend, And to finally get everyone the correct information. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tirpitzz said:

A thank you to Sparkleypinkcruiser, oceanlovertoo and Ladypubnico and everyone else for all helping with the information you managed to attain and pass along up keep our hopes up through the weekend, And to finally get everyone the correct information. 

Of course , we are Canadians after all..Did you guys notice that is now $205 for multiple entries? Wow..

Now I have to fight the system to get my money order and passport back, that I sent in for a new visa, last week, coz I hope to board on Oct 1!! ☺️

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tirpitzz said:

Yes, Thank you all for for keeping us informed with your updates and posts!  Much appreciated!🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oceanlovertoo said:

Of course , we are Canadians after all..Did you guys notice that is now $205 for multiple entries? Wow..

Now I have to fight the system to get my money order and passport back, that I sent in for a new visa, last week, coz I hope to board on Oct 1!! ☺️

Thank you so much too for keeping us updated and hopes up. Finally the updated info is posted on the Egyptian Embassy website.  We haven't applied yet as our travel date from Canada to Cairo is Nov30 and  our flight back from Cairo is Dec 14. The validity date is 90 days from the day of issue.  We were going to wait a few days to apply after Sept 14, but before Oct 1:)  to fit the 90 day time frame.  Wow $205!.. it use to be $60US for multiple entry?   Do you know if its still $25US for single entry?   TIA

What a mess this situation has caused, and so much stress.  I hope everything gets resolved for you.  Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeamCan said:

Thank you so much too for keeping us updated and hopes up. Finally the updated info is posted on the Egyptian Embassy website.  We haven't applied yet as our travel date from Canada to Cairo is Nov30 and  our flight back from Cairo is Dec 14. The validity date is 90 days from the day of issue.  We were going to wait a few days to apply after Sept 14, but before Oct 1:)  to fit the 90 day time frame.  Wow $205!.. it use to be $60US for multiple entry?   Do you know if its still $25US for single entry?   TIA

What a mess this situation has caused, and so much stress.  I hope everything gets resolved for you.  Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks, same to you. These new rates are for thru embassy visas. I believe the evisa its still 60. I used multiple entries. Evisa is for 6 mo. I believe , not sure tho, single entry 30 days. You can contact evisa on their page, they answer in a day or so. 20/20 hindsight- i know more now,  probably single entry is ok - with  multipley ports if u do not dock in another country in between, is considered siingle. Or maybe we get just transit visas in port? Who knows ..

27 minutes ago, oceanlovertoo said:

Thanks, same to you. These new rates are for thru embassy visas. I believe the evisa its still 60. I used multiple entries. Evisa is for 6 mo. I believe , not sure tho, single entry 30 days. You can contact evisa on their page, they answer in a day or so. 20/20 hindsight- i know more now,  probably single entry is ok - with  multipley ports if u do not dock in another country in between, is considered siingle. Or maybe we get just transit visas in port? Who knows ..

Thank you.... I did send an inquiry on the e-Visa site earlier today.

8 hours ago, oceanlovertoo said:

Good Luck! They sent ours back so as long as you get ahold of them before processing you should be able to get yours back too.

It's official now. This is taken from the Egyptian Embassy facebook page today.

Also worth noting, if you apply for an e-visa before the deadline and are on a cruise stopping for several days in Egypt, the embassy says I will only need a one time entry visa, not a multiple entry visa. BTW, single entry is cheaper.

Celebrity Cruises advises that all passengers are covered by their "transit visas" for 72 hours.

I like to be safe than sorry and got the e-visa.

IMG_3634.jpeg.525bc5d154f5d6f6c25399fc81

• Like 2

Still no update on Visas at the Canadian Global Affairs site.

Also ….

Has anybody read the Global Relations blurb on things that cannot be brought into Egypt? It prohibits psychotropic drugs (whether you have a prescription or not).  Also certain cosmetics (huh?) and veterinarian meds.
I googled “psychotropic drugs” and it includes a range of mental health medications.
Perhaps they’re only targeting marijuana, but that’s not what it says.  I’ll try to get some clarification and post.

Also ….

Has anybody read the Global Relations blurb on things that cannot be brought into Egypt? It prohibits psychotropic drugs (whether you have a prescription or not).  Also certain cosmetics (huh?) and veterinarian meds.
I googled “psychotropic drugs” and it includes a range of mental health medications.
Perhaps they’re only targeting marijuana, but that’s not what it says.  I’ll try to get some clarification and post.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/egypt#entryexit

Site updated: 

Entry.svgEntry and exit requirements

New entry requirement

Starting October 1, 2023, Canadian passport holders will not be able to obtain a visa online before travelling to or upon arrival in Egypt. You will be required to obtain a visa from an Egyptian embassy or consulate abroad.

Electronic visas issued prior to October 1, 2023, will remain valid until their expiry date.

If you are planning to travel to Egypt, you should contact the nearest Egyptian embassy or consulate before you go.

Foreign Representatives in Canada

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Good Luck! They sent ours back so as long as you get ahold of them before processing you should be able to get yours back too.

Hi. How did you manage to get in touch with the consulate? The 2 listed nrs ring or busy. No reply to my emails. There is no need to process as they have a copy of my evisa. How long does it take for someone to switch envelopes?

2 minutes ago, oceanlovertoo said:

Hi. How did you manage to get in touch with the consulate? The 2 listed nrs ring or busy. No reply to my emails. There is no need to process as they have a copy of my evisa. How long does it take for someone to switch envelopes?

I called and called and called until they answered.

2 hours ago, Lady Pubnico said:

Also ….

You are so organized! I haven't had a chance to google things that cannot be brought to Egypt. Cosmetics ?... weird.  I usually like to bring some pre-packaged snacks..granola bars, fruit bars for travel. I will have to google if that's ok.  OZ/NZ is very strict with foodstuff.. even pre-packaged stuff.. had a unopened small package of beef jerky.. I declared it under meat products on air arrival. They inspected the packaging on where it was made... USA.. so it was OK😆.   

31 minutes ago, oceanlovertoo said:

I had tried calling them a few days ago and no answer and mailbox full.  I did email them yesterday at embassy.ottawa1@mfa.gov.eg  and got a reply this am.  But now, info not needed as we're going to apply for the e-Visa.  Hopefully, you will get a reply and receive your e-Visa back soon.