Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

Out of 2,000 - 3,000 passengers I would not expect the Canadian contingent to be more than a few dozen. While a cruise line may be willing to exert some effort, ultimately it's a very small problem in their universe.

True - did not think of it that way, but still...  this is something that is not the norm and a give and take on both sides would be nice.  I would expect that my preferred cruise line would react in a positive way to assist in a situation like this.  I have no proof of this but would expect that they would.

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is it all nationalities or just Canadians  for the new Visa rules ?

My understanding is that the new rules apply only to Canadians and are in retaliation for what Egyptian officials view as Canada's failure to issue visas to some Egyptian nationals without cause.

FWIW, the US State Department's travel pages indicate business as usual.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

This is no different than the Brazil situation of Canadians need visas 

It is entirely different.  Canadians were always able to get Egyptian  e-visas well in advance.  Egypt has suddenly decided that Canadians (but not others) need to send their passports to an Egyptian embassy. Brazil did not suddenly eliminate e-visas for Canadians.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

My understanding is that the new rules apply only to Canadians and are in retaliation for what Egyptian officials view as Canada's failure to issue visas to some Egyptian nationals without cause.

FWIW, the US State Department's travel pages indicate business as usual.

Yes I checked the US site   that was why I asked  😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I would not wait until Athens to get the VISA 

I would get it ASAP  I know it is difficult  but  keep trying  before you leave Canada

JMO

I am currently travelling outside of Canada and need my passport while travellng.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

Out of 2,000 - 3,000 passengers I would not expect the Canadian contingent to be more than a few dozen. While a cruise line may be willing to exert some effort, ultimately it's a very small problem in their universe.

Good point, although it might be considered a double-edged sword. Given the small number of Canadians, it would be a very small financial problem for the cruise line if they could come to some accommodation with respect to waiving penalties.

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

Wow, harsh indeed.  We were wondering how the cruise lines would handle this.  Apparently it is business as usual for the cruise lines as per their established guidelines.  Luckily you have a bit of wiggle room, not much, before you go.  We started exploring some of the online agencies that get Visa's for you and they appeared to be willing to do it.  I started to fill out the forms on one to see what costings were and initial, fast turn around, with phone support was about $350cdn per visa.  Some appeared to be cheaper, but not sure on their reputations or speed.  Bit of an unexpected additional cost, but would get you going.  Otherwise, I would try and contact your local federal elected official and deal with them directly.  See what they can/will do for you.  Best of luck regardless.

Unfortunately all of the online visa agencies require passports to process a visa for Egypt and I am not in a position to send them my passport.

18 minutes ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Instead of mailing our passports, my wonderful husband is travelling to Ottawa tomorrow to submit our visa applications. It will be a really long day - like 10-12 hour drive round-trip. I'm still nervous that we won't get them on time 😕 

Not so much of an option for those on the West Coast.  It would almost be a 10-12 DAY drive round trip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Instead of mailing our passports, my wonderful husband is travelling to Ottawa tomorrow to submit our visa applications. It will be a really long day - like 10-12 hour drive round-trip. I'm still nervous that we won't get them on time 😕 

Has he spoken to someone at the embassy and confirmed that they are prepared to process applications at this time? I'd hate to see him drive all the way here for nothing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, broberts said:

I just arrived at this thread. While I would normally agree that it’s a small problem for the cruise line, it could be catastrophic for any Canadians travelling without essential documents. Especially as they’d be considered foreign nationals in a country where documentation and approvals are now being demanded in retaliation for some real or imagined political misdemeanour. The authorities are not exactly the same as we’d know of at home. There are times when I’ve travelled to some iffy countries in the Middle East and Asia, alone and on business and have had no issues. It’s pretty telling that the Embassy here isn’t replying calls or messages. It would be hoped that they would be busy trying to find a way to offer assurances to the few cruisers caught up in the political dilemma ….  In this case, I wouldn’t even want to get off the ship in Egypt, in case I couldn’t get back on. But I would plan to cruise to all the other countries destinations unless Azamara won’t let me on…then I’m guessing it might on their dime. 

1 hour ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

This situation is a real mess with such short notice.  Please keep us informed ...

11 minutes ago, Tango99 said:

But I would plan to cruise to all the other countries destinations unless Azamara won’t let me on…then I’m guessing it might on their dime. 

Read the cruise contract, (they are all the same in this respect), it is a passenger's responsibility to determine and obtain whatever documentation is necessary. Failing which boarding may be denied without compensation.

Staying aboard in a port doesn't negate the need to have a visa if required for entry into the country.

• Like 3

We are debating between flying to Ottawa from Halifax to drop our applications off in person, and mailing in our applications.  We leave the country mid-October, so I don’t want to mail our passports away, but the cost and time of going to Ottawa is a bit crazy.

Even though Oceania is telling me no visa will be required for cruisers, I’m terrified they may not yet be informed and, a month from now, will deny us boarding.

30 minutes ago, DanceMomma said:

We are debating between flying to Ottawa from Halifax to drop our applications off in person, and mailing in our applications.  We leave the country mid-October, so I don’t want to mail our passports away, but the cost and time of going to Ottawa is a bit crazy.

Even though Oceania is telling me no visa will be required for cruisers, I’m terrified they may not yet be informed and, a month from now, will deny us boarding.

The thing is, even if you drop them off, you still have to wait two weeks to get them mailed back! Apparently they hang onto the passports.

I will update if we get any further information from the embassy tomorrow. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, DanceMomma said:

Where did you get the application forms, since the Embassy seems to be unreachable? 

20 minutes ago, broberts said:

Read the cruise contract, (they are all the same in this respect), it is a passenger's responsibility to determine and obtain whatever documentation is necessary. Failing which boarding may be denied without compensation.

Staying aboard in a port doesn't negate the need to have a visa if required for entry into the country.

You’re right. Mea culpa! Just have to look at Vancouver for evidence of that. But in the case of the OP the rules that come into effect October 1 were only announced this week. To their credit the OP is doing whatever they can for the requirements to be met. The cruise line could offer some sort of reprieve…like you said in some words, the Canadian contingent is comparatively small …in which case compensation might be minor. And I’m sure that the cruise line wouldn’t be affected by Egypt doing anything bigger in retaliation….. here’s hoping that those affected are all able to get things sorted.  And that they’re all aware of what is now required. 

1 hour ago, DanceMomma said:

The Reps at Oceania have been unreliable  I would do your best to get your  VISA

Are you using  a TA?  If so get them to contact their Rep at O  & explain the situation  for Canadians

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Where did you get the application forms, since the Embassy seems to be unreachable? 

If you go to the Embassy’s facebook postings and go to May 10th, you’ll find a link to a pdf.  I tried to share the link here, but don’t know how to do it correctly.

For those that are unable to get the VISA in time for their cruise  I wonder if the cruise line would allow you to get off before Egypt & reboard  after the ship departs the Country?

It is not ideal but  would save you from missing the whole cruise 

It may be worth contacting  your line or have your TA  do it in writing  & see what they say 

Just  a thought

Fingers crossed  you all get the VISA in time  though

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

For those that are unable to get the VISA in time for their cruise  I wonder if the cruise line would allow you to get off before Egypt & reboard  after the ship departs the Country?

It is not ideal but  would save you from missing the whole cruise 

It may be worth contacting  your line or have your TA  do it in writing  & see what they say 

Just  a thought

Fingers crossed  you all get the VISA in time  though

Intriguing suggestion.  I’d be happy to do this if the cruise line would permit it.

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Has he spoken to someone at the embassy and confirmed that they are prepared to process applications at this time? I'd hate to see him drive all the way here for nothing.

Yes, we spoke to someone on the phone. They said we can go between 10am-noon Monday to Friday. We can either pick up or bring a prepaid envelope to mail back. They also said a spouse can go on behalf of a couple. I wrote a letter to give him permission just in case.

I should know within a few hours how it went! He's en route now and hoping to get in line before 10am.

• Like 4