Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

1 hour ago, SeaandSky5 said:

Hi All,

Ottawa now requires an appointment to get a visa. We still have no definitive answer on whether or not a visa is required if you are entering by cruise ship. Apparently Celebrity has indicated Canadians do not need to apply for visa in advance. 

I’m still nervous. 

Celebrity Cruises is one line that stops in Alexandria, Egypt, and according to an update posted last week by the Canadian team, it appears passengers, under the new guidance, will be granted 72-hour visas on arrival.

Celebrity says a 72-hour visa can be obtained upon vessel arrival for most nationalities (including U.S, Canada, U.K., E.U., and Australia).

For 72-hour visa guests, immigration officers will stamp the guest passports on arrival.

The new requirement for Canadians to apply for an Egyptian visa in advance applies only for entry by air, Celebrity notes.

I followed Celebrity Apex Sept 26th 2023 Roll Call with stop in Alexandra, Egypt. One cruiser with the following comment "Just came from a meeting for the back to back who are already aboard and found out you do not need a visa for Egypt. A waste of $120.00. I thought there was gonna be a mutiny lol with the people in the meeting started questioning the information that was given. They will be collecting our passports the night before and Egyptian imagination will be coming on board the ship at 2am and will be stamping our passports with the visa. Supposedly you only need one when flying into Egypt not by ship. FYI" 

I also read this -

Please READ Celebrity Posts Update section

2 minutes ago, fannym123 said:

I followed Celebrity Apex Sept 26th 2023 Roll Call with stop in Alexandra, Egypt. One cruiser with the following comment "Just came from a meeting for the back to back who are already aboard and found out you do not need a visa for Egypt. A waste of $120.00. I thought there was gonna be a mutiny lol with the people in the meeting started questioning the information that was given. They will be collecting our passports the night before and Egyptian imagination will be coming on board the ship at 2am and will be stamping our passports with the visa. Supposedly you only need one when flying into Egypt not by ship. FYI" 

I also read this -

Please READ Celebrity Posts Update section

Thanks! This makes me feel a bit more reassured but I’m still worried that NCL will change their page that indicates no visa requirement as we get closer to our departure date. If I could get someone on a NCL ship to confirm no visa required, I might be able to relax a bit. 

1 hour ago, fannym123 said:

As far as I know, it's for all passports (US, Aust, US, Cdn) on Celebrity Apex. That's how I interpreted the msg. 

The question then is does this apply to Canadian passport holders? I'm under the impression that this thread has been discussing unique requirements imposed by Egypt on Canadian passport holders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broberts said:

The question then is does this apply to Canadian passport holders? I'm under the impression that this thread has been discussing unique requirements imposed by Egypt on Canadian passport holders.

Have just finished our cruise on the Apex. Can confirm Canadians received visa stamps the same as I assume all others on the ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, chrisn-au said:

Have just finished our cruise on the Apex. Can confirm Canadians received visa stamps the same as I assume all others on the ship. 

This is good to know. Since the rules changed this week for Canadians, if the Egyptian authorities stamped all passports, including Canadians even after the change came into effect, the conclusion can be drawn that they will do the same for all cruise ships. If anyone else has firsthand experience, I’d love to hear about it. 

8 hours ago, chrisn-au said:

@chrisn-au thanks for your first hand confirmation for Canadians entering Egpyt by cruise ship. No need to go to Ottawa or mail passport for Egyptians VISA. Thank you 😘

• Like 1

Visa Confusion for Canadians to Egypt.  MSC Virtuosa  Nov.11

MSC issued a bulletin today reminding passengers of visa requirements for visiting countries before boarding the ship, with a warning saying passengers maybe denied boarding if visas are not in place.

Included was a link for Canadians to apply for e-visa to Egypt. (Visa rules changed for Canadians on Oct. 1).

However the link for the e-visa does not allow you to choose Canada as a country of residence, so there is no way to apply for this e-visa, short of mailing or visiting the Consulate in Montreal. (too late for that now)

I would like MSC to clarify as to wether or not Canadians need a visa for the one day visit to Safaga and/or wether or not there will be any issues with boarding in Barcelona if we dont have the visa in hand. I accept that I may not be able to disembark in Safaga but i just want to be sure I can board the ship .

The Egyptain Consulate has not been any help as they dont answer phones or respond to e-mails nor is MSC Canada  vey clear of the new visa policy. They refer to there July 2023 visa requirment list, which is prbably out of date

Has anyone else been dealing with this and do u have any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Ovsa

19 minutes ago, Ovsa said:

MSC issued a bulletin today reminding passengers of visa requirements for visiting countries before boarding the ship, with a warning saying passengers maybe denied boarding if visas are not in place.

Included was a link for Canadians to apply for e-visa to Egypt. (Visa rules changed for Canadians on Oct. 1).

However the link for the e-visa does not allow you to choose Canada as a country of residence, so there is no way to apply for this e-visa, short of mailing or visiting the Consulate in Montreal. (too late for that now)

I would like MSC to clarify as to wether or not Canadians need a visa for the one day visit to Safaga and/or wether or not there will be any issues with boarding in Barcelona if we dont have the visa in hand. I accept that I may not be able to disembark in Safaga but i just want to be sure I can board the ship .

The Egyptain Consulate has not been any help as they dont answer phones or respond to e-mails nor is MSC Canada  vey clear of the new visa policy. They refer to there July 2023 visa requirment list, which is prbably out of date

Thanks

Hi there, Canadians can no longer apply for an Egyptian visa online as of October 1st. We drove to Ottawa from Hamilton to apply in person at the Embassy yesterday. We were told we had to go to Montreal but we couldn’t get an appointment in Montreal but got one for Ottawa. Here’s my experience:

1. Made an appointment-arrived a bit early, they let us in. I only made appointment for myself but it was both my husband and I - they let us both in (but he wasn’t on the list and I thought for a moment they would not let him in, but they did)

2. By geography we were supposed to go to the consulate in Montreal. We were concerned we would be declined service- we were not. They took us at the Embassy 

3. We had all paperwork completed, with passports, 2 passport photos (dated) and $205 cash each (for multiple entries) and with our appointment, we were served within 10 minutes and out the door headed home 10 minutes after that. 
4. Your cash must be free of tears, rips etc otherwise they will not accept it. The woman in front of us had a $20 with the corner missing and they refused to accept (my husband gave her $20 so she could complete her application) 

5. We can pickup visas and passports in two weeks - no appointment needed. 
6. There were people there who did not have appointments. Walk ins are accepted. 

This is all very stressful, especially given the current situation and that our ship may not even dock in Egypt. However, I feel better knowing that we will have our visa, just in case. 
I am happy to answer any questions about any of this. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ovsa said:

Thanks

Staying on the ship never exempts one from any visa requirement of any country. It's why, regardless of any prior cruise line advice, one may be denied boarding if a required visa is not obtained.

A little while ago I read a blog that reported on a visa issue down under. The cruise line had advised passengers in writing that a visa was not required, then denied boarding. Granted those denied eventually got a refund, but it surely doesn't compensate for what happened.

You are in a difficult situation. Hopefully we will see some first person reports posted here. But it might be prudent to assume the worst and see if visas can be obtained in time.

32 minutes ago, SeaandSky5 said:

Here’s my experience:

1. Made an appointment-arrived a bit early, they let us in. I only made appointment for myself but it was both my husband and I - they let us both in (but he wasn’t on the list and I thought for a moment they would not let him in, but they did)

2. By geography we were supposed to go to the consulate in Montreal. We were concerned we would be declined service- we were not. They took us at the Embassy 

3. We had all paperwork completed, with passports, 2 passport photos (dated) and $205 cash each (for multiple entries) and with our appointment, we were served within 10 minutes and out the door headed home 10 minutes after that. 
4. Your cash must be free of tears, rips etc otherwise they will not accept it. The woman in front of us had a $20 with the corner missing and they refused to accept (my husband gave her $20 so she could complete her application) 

5. We can pickup visas and passports in two weeks - no appointment needed. 
6. There were people there who did not have appointments. Walk ins are accepted. 

This is all very stressful, especially given the current situation and that our ship may not even dock in Egypt. However, I feel better knowing that we will have our visa, just in case. 
I am happy to answer any questions about any of this. 

Why would you have to go to Montreal over Ottawa? Is there a note somewhere where one has to go? We're in SW Ontario, and I have assumed that, when the time comes, it would be to Ottawa.

Edited by Dismomx5

36 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Why would you have to go to Montreal over Ottawa? Is there a note somewhere where one has to go? We're in SW Ontario, and I have assumed that, when the time comes, it would be to Ottawa.

the Ottawa embassy and the Montreal general consulate have different "jurisdiction" areas that they cover ... I don't know how critical it is that you attend to or mail to the correct one ... below is from the FB page of the Embassy in Ottawa :

image.png.07660130c7d7b199b1ae364d8871da73.png

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

The division of labour for visas is as follows:

Consulate General:

Ontario (except Ottawa)

Quebec (except Gatineau

Eastern provinces and territories

Embassy:

Ottawa

Gatineau

The rest of the provinces and territories

So, with the exception of the national capital region, Ontario east fall under Montreal and Manitoba west fall under the embassy.

You can always mail in your application.

@acadian_dad, you beat me to it. 😇

Edited by Fouremco
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Take a look at the TRAVEL INFO (at the bottom of the website)/“Before you go”/Travel Documents & Visas section on msccruises.com (NOT msccruises.ca): WINTER 2023-2024 EGYPT, RED SEA & SAUDI ARABIA CRUISES. Last updated: 10th  October 2023. TRANSIT EGYPT (green heading): “All guest in transit in Egypt will receive a fast trip stamp by immigrations authorities onboard, which is valid for 72 hours (free of charge)”. 

NOTE: Under the “EMBARKING EGYPT” (green heading) it states that Canada requires pre-issued Visas through embassy/consulate.

So, I read it as:1) all passengers in transit do not require a pre-issued Visa, 2) passengers embarking/disembarking require pre-issued Visas.

IMG_9869.thumb.jpeg.7314c484bbc4e74975629f7675029740.jpeg

We are also in Southern Ontario and due to a short window I will go to Montreal to drop it off. I would like to have the passports & visa sent back by courier. Does anyone know if the Embassy has a preference on which courier to use?

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, trips_ahoy said:

We are also in Southern Ontario and due to a short window I will go to Montreal to drop it off. I would like to have the passports & visa sent back by courier. Does anyone know if the Embassy has a preference on which courier to use?

Thank you.

I don’t know about a courier preference but a friend of mine who is a travel agent paid for expedited shipping for a client’s visa (and passport) to be shipped back. It wasn’t and was “lost” by the consulate. They had to send someone in person to Montreal to try to get them to locate it. This was the day prior to her clients leaving. They found the documents and then that person flew from Montreal to Toronto with them so the clients could have them in time for their departure. We opted to drop them off and pick them up in person. It’s a lot of inconvenience but less anxiety. Well, we think so anyway. I’ll let you know when I have my passport and visa in hand on October 24th. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CiaoRagazza said:

Take a look at the TRAVEL INFO (at the bottom of the website)/“Before you go”/Travel Documents & Visas section on msccruises.com (NOT msccruises.ca): WINTER 2023-2024 EGYPT, RED SEA & SAUDI ARABIA CRUISES. Last updated: 10th  October 2023. TRANSIT EGYPT (green heading): “All guest in transit in Egypt will receive a fast trip stamp by immigrations authorities onboard, which is valid for 72 hours (free of charge)”. 

NOTE: Under the “EMBARKING EGYPT” (green heading) it states that Canada requires pre-issued Visas through embassy/consulate.

So, I read it as:1) all passengers in transit do not require a pre-issued Visa, 2) passengers embarking/disembarking require pre-issued Visas.

IMG_9869.thumb.jpeg.7314c484bbc4e74975629f7675029740.jpeg

o.k.  never mind, i got it the form.

I' m confused about "Embarking Egypt"  and  "In Transit".

Is stopping in the port of Safaga for 8 hours considered in-transit or embarking Egypt?