Best currency for tipping in Istanbul

We have two excursions in Istanbul and are wondering about the most acceptable currency for tipping. We will also have to pay for a tram, drinks and food. CC or cash?

Thank you

15 hours ago, Divi said:

We have two excursions in Istanbul and are wondering about the most acceptable currency for tipping. We will also have to pay for a tram, drinks and food. CC or cash?

Thank you

Which would be the best currency for tipping in Canada?  or  If you drove down to the USA would you be tipping in Canadian Dollars?  In Istanbul, the currency of choice is the Turkish Lira.  Many merchants will accept other currencies (especially the Euro or US Dollar) and guides will be forced to accept whatever they get.  We do a lot of international travel (including Turkey) and always try to use plastic (we have cards with no fees or foreign exchange fees) but, for smaller purchases, having local currency is a good thing.  While a touristy restaurant will almost always accept credit cards, a small street stand in Istanbul will generally be a cash business.

Hank

If you have Lira - tip in that.  (you need a lot of them!). Otherwise Euros.  Many Turks have family in the Euro zone.  Many have worked in the Euro zone.  And when they exchange them, they will get a not too bad rate.    Or they can give them to their families...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in Turkey earlier in the year and one of the things I will always remember is Turkey takes ALL kinds of money.......seriously, they take The Turkish Lira (Of course) but several folks told me they are happy to accept Euros and even the US $ is accepted.  I didn't have any Lira with me and those I tipped were all happy to accept my Euros.