Ardastra Gardens & Wildlife

nyyhoneybee

I'm looking to do Ardastra Gardens & Wildlife Conservation Center with my 10, 7 & 2-year-old in January.

Any tips? Is there anywhere close by that we can grab lunch preferably in walking distance? We will be at Coco Cay also so we don't want a beach day, but I think this sounds kinda fun instead of a ship day. 

• Like 1

It’s great fun!  My wife and I (two adults!) really enjoyed it, and it was clear that the kids there were having an excellent time too. 

We took a cab there, and had the folks at the front gate call us a cab when we were ready to leave. In terms of food, I think you could walk down the long hill to the Fish Fry, but I don’t know about the safety issues in terms of doing that.  You might just want to take a cab back into town and have lunch there. (We love a place called Bahamian Cookin)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s great fun!  My wife and I (two adults!) really enjoyed it, and it was clear that the kids there were having an excellent time too. 

We took a cab there, and had the folks at the front gate call us a cab when we were ready to leave. In terms of food, I think you could walk down the long hill to the Fish Fry, but I don’t know about the safety issues in terms of doing that.  You might just want to take a cab back into town and have lunch there. (We love a place called Bahamian Cookin)

IMG_3984.mov 47.98 MB · 0 downloads  

Thank you! Bahamian Cookin is amazing, we agree. We did it in March and really enjoyed. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, Turtles06 said:

IMG_3984.mov 47.98 MB · 0 downloads  

Do you remember cost of taxi to and from Ardastra? 

17 minutes ago, cruisingnana said:

Do you remember cost of taxi to and from Ardastra? 

I’m sorry, I don’t. (But it wasn’t a lot.) I do recall that we’d picked up the cab aways from the pier, and they really wanted to sell us on a tour, which of course we didn’t want. This was some years ago. 

Edited by Turtles06

• 2 months later...

We took our three girls there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.  Feeding the birds was one of the highlights of our trip.  It is quite small and not fancy but it was fun.  It felt like you were supporting a local institution.  There was a small school group there the same day and I like that they support local outreach and conservation.  We took a taxi there and back and I don't remember it being very expensive. 

• Like 1

You can also take the bus there and get off at the fish fry and hike up the hill. There is a sidewalk for a good part of the walk up and you also pass an animal shelter (I think it was) . You can then head back down to the fry and catch a bus back. If you're not up for the hike, a cab for sure.

• 1 month later...

We are interested in going to the gardens and wildlife center when we are in Nassau.  Unfortunately, we're finding some places, such as the Bahamian Cookin restaurant aren't open on Sundays which is when we will be there.  Not really wanting to go to the beach so looking for other suggestions for something to do or somewhere open for lunch on a Sunday?  Assume the gardens won't take more than an hour or so.  

4 hours ago, wildcats40 said:

We are interested in going to the gardens and wildlife center when we are in Nassau.  Unfortunately, we're finding some places, such as the Bahamian Cookin restaurant aren't open on Sundays which is when we will be there.  Not really wanting to go to the beach so looking for other suggestions for something to do or somewhere open for lunch on a Sunday?  Assume the gardens won't take more than an hour or so.  

Yeah we didn't realize Bahamian Cookin wasn't open till we got there. We are on tbe ship 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:45 PM, Turtles06 said:

We loved it too. Cab both ways.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:35 AM, nyyhoneybee said:

Any tips? Is there anywhere close by that we can grab lunch preferably in walking distance? We will be at Coco Cay also so we don't want a beach day, but I think this sounds kinda fun instead of a ship day. 

It is a perfect couple hours for the kids! Husband & I liked it too. Make sure to be there (there is a schedule) when the flamingos dance; the love-birds enclosure is anytime for hand-feeding. The only sad thing was the solitary meerkat (they live in groups in the wild), but at least we saw one.

My memory is that the park is off by itself (middle of nowhere may be an exaggeration, or not). I would not attempt to walk to lunch, both with young kids and the security alert. There is a busy/safe area with bars and restaurants around the port.