Where to file a consumer complaint in Long Beach CA

sfaaa

I booked a fully paid refundable room at Hotel Royal in Long Beach for my Dec 2023 cruise. I cancelled my reservation in June 2023. Hotel cancellation policy states full refund if canceled within 3 days of arrival. Hotel acknowledged my cancellation through email and advised my deposit refund would be forthcoming. To date, no refund is received and Hotel would not reply to my follow up emails and text enquiries. Phone calls to the Hotel are always forwarded to an answering machine. Is there any government department and consumer protection agency in Long Beach  I can file a complaint besides BBB? Thanks.

5 hours ago, sfaaa said:

To date, no refund is received and Hotel would not reply to my follow up emails and text enquiries. Phone calls to the Hotel are always forwarded to an answering machine. Is there any government department and consumer protection agency in Long Beach  I can file a complaint besides BBB? Thanks.

Agree with Bruce-- your quickest way to resolution is to contest this directly with your credit card company. The wheels of government grind too slowly with things like this. 

Agree.  A assume you paid by credit card?  Immediately call the bank issuing the card and challenge the charge.  Helps if you can provide them with copies of everything--like the confirmation from the hotel stating the cancelation policy as well as any copy of the cancelation confirmation (most hotels would have sent you one).

Personally, I am always very wary of prepaying for a hotels reservation--especially one with a small hotel operator.  Small companies go bankrupt, hotels go out of business...or they can just be difficult.  And, if you come back to Long Beach, you may want to consider staying at one of my list of recommended hotels--Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric, Renaissance, Westin, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown, Hilton...At least you'd be dealing with a major chain--and they have processes in place to deal with this stuff (and you'd be in a better located, nicer, better run hotel).

But yes, file that complaint with your credit card--they will credit your bill, then they will contact the hotel company and make them prove the charge was legitimate.  And, again, the more back-up documentation you can provide them with the easier and faster it will go.

• Like 2