International Carriers (Alitalia) and Luggage

KCSungirl

Has anyone had experience with an International airline (Alitalia, specifically) and carry on luggage? I am wondering if they are stricter on the size and weight of carry on luggage than the American ailrlines. I am asking because we are only using one leg on this partner airline and wanted to stay within the guidelines. When I looked at the specs on the website it was in kilograms. Can anyone give me some first hand experience if a 22 inch roll aboard will work as carry-on with Alitalia? Do they weigh backpacks or hand luggage? Thanks, Sungirl

Yes, much stricter. 2 bags pp checked, about 50 pounds per bag. And no large rollaboards in the cabin. Laptop cases, small backpacks, large messenger bags etc. are about the only thing the European airlines, except BA and Lufthansa, allow in the cabin. Your 22" rollaboard will most likely get checked.

As to weighing cabin luggage-depends on whether it looks like it will go over about 15 pounds. I was forced to check my rollaboard on Aer Lingus in December-Shannon to London. Weighed 21 pounds. Other than a small backpack with a change of clothes and my laptop in it, it was the only luggage for cabin luggage the two of us had. But it went in the hold anyway.

If you are on a purely intra-Europe itinerary, you'll be subject to strict luggage limits, both for checked and carry-on baggage. You may get less scrutiny if you are in business class.

For an intra-Europe flight that is a connecting part of an itinerary to/from North America, checked baggage is on the piece system, with an additional weight limit PER BAG. Different airlines handle carry-ons differently -- go to the airline website for specifics. Again, you will get better consideration in business class.

For Alitalia checked baggage - to/from USA, CANADA, MEXICO and area 2/3 (piece concept)

MAGNIFICA CLASS: 2 suitcases 32 kg max each, 158 cm max each

ECONOMY CLASS: 2 suitcases 23 kg max each, 158 cm max each

The dimension listed is the total of length + width + depth. 23 kilos is about 50 lbs per bag. 158 cm = 62.2 inches.

For Alitalia cabin luggage - Weight: 5 kgs. (11 lbs) Length: 55 cm Height: 25 cm Depth: 35 cm (21.6" x 9.8" x 13.7")

If you ever need to make conversions, THIS SITE is quite useful to have bookmarked.

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate the heads up. I am stressing about the luggage. Is it no problem to check luggage with Alitalia and they transfer to Continental? Why are these airlines so much stricter on the rollaboards? Sungirl ;-)

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate the heads up. I am stressing about the luggage. Is it no problem to check luggage with Alitalia and they transfer to Continental? Why are these airlines so much stricter on the rollaboards? Sungirl ;-)

For most of the major airlines of the world, there is no problem in interline transfers. These are governed by agreements that airlines sign with each other for transfer of luggage, honoring of tickets written by other airlines, joint fares and a host of other items. Be aware - there are a number of airlines that do NOT have interline agreements with other carriers - among them are Southwest, JetBlue, Allegiant, EasyJet, Ryanair. Most of those that do not have interline agreements are the LCC's (LowCostCarrier).

You can usually tell if you have an interline connection - if you have only one ticket for your entire trip, then it's almost always covered. If you have two tickets (such as Southwest to Philadelphia and then another ticket on USAirways), then you may likely have no interline protection.

Alitalia and Continental are both part of the SkyTeam Alliance. They have fulll interline agreements.

The reason many airlines are stricter on luggage is because they make a LOT of money on excess baggage charges. The market within, and to/from, North America, is one of the few that is on the piece system. Elsewhere, airlines still use the total weight system that started back in the earliest days of flying. It can be VERY lucrative for airlines to strictly enforce weight limits and force excess baggage payments. Since all checked bags get weighed, pax try to get around the limits by putting heavy stuff in the carry-ons. To prevent this, the carry-ons also get the strict exam.

My suggestion....get a lightweight roller, preferably with soft sides. A Kiva roller, or perhaps Timberline, are light in and of themselves -- and don't look as though you would be toting a lot of heavy stuff in them. Contrast that with a very solid Tumi or Hartmann case - which would appear to be above the weight limit?? Another thing....make putting the case in the overhead look easy and effortless. If you even might have trouble, let the better half lift it -- FA's look for that "straining grunt" as a tip-off to overweight bags.

Why are these airlines so much stricter on the rollaboards?
There are also two other issues:-
  1. If there are fewer items of cabin baggage, there is ample space for everyone's cabin baggage. This means that there is less reason to rush to be first to board, there are fewer people searching and searching for room to stow their cabin baggage, and so boarding is generally easier and quicker for everyone.
  2. Having less weight in the overhead bins is also safer. The latches are less likely to fail in turbulence, things are less likely to be ejected, and even when they are or they simply fall out when overhead bins are opened, they are less likely to cause serious or any injury. Falling cabin baggage is a leading cause of injury on board airliners. And, at least in theory, it would also be safer to have fewer heavy items flying around loose if there is a serious accident.

Yes, much stricter. 2 bags pp checked, about 50 pounds per bag. And no large rollaboards in the cabin. Laptop cases, small backpacks, large messenger bags etc. are about the only thing the European airlines, except BA and Lufthansa, allow in the cabin. Your 22" rollaboard will most likely get checked.

As to weighing cabin luggage-depends on whether it looks like it will go over about 15 pounds. I was forced to check my rollaboard on Aer Lingus in December-Shannon to London. Weighed 21 pounds. Other than a small backpack with a change of clothes and my laptop in it, it was the only luggage for cabin luggage the two of us had. But it went in the hold anyway.

Oh, great, I just bought a new one. I usually never do rollaboards, but decided I would on the upcoming Europe cruise (AA/Iberia) because of the change of planes. I wanted something more with me in case my checked bag got lost.

We went through the same thing last year with a combination of an American Airlines Flight and British Airways flight. BA did honor the rules of American since that was the carrier that we had booked through and they are part of the One World Allianace.

The other thing that we noticed at least on the BA flights is that the overhang compartments were smaller than what one sees on US based planes so large pieces will not fit in them.

While I am not pleased that even the domestic arilines have cut back on the weight of luggage that is stored below, in some ways I do think the european carriers have a better approach in what you can take on board a plane. Even though the US carriers have rules it seems that most people are breaking the rules, by taking two pieces rather than one piece and a purse/pc case and some of the size pieces that people take on have gotten out of hand once again. What does it mean? It means that many times there is not enough space in the cabinsto accommodate everyone since some choose to ingnore the rules and it extends the time to board and depart the plane.

In the end, I think the US carriers need to tighten up the rules as to how much you can carry-on and at the same time I wish the European carriers at least those that I've used would slightly increase the amount that you can take on as I think their rules are a little to restrictive. If our flight hadn't been booked through American then it seemed that my carry on piece (which wasn't big) represented almost a third of the weight I could carry on when it was empty according to the British Airway rules.

Keith

Oh, great, I just bought a new one. I usually never do rollaboards, but decided I would on the upcoming Europe cruise (AA/Iberia) because of the change of planes. I wanted something more with me in case my checked bag got lost.

Really depends on how big and how much it weighs. On an AA/Iberia connection, at least you have AA's 70 pound, 2 bag limit. Whether you get to take the roller on board is a toss up. It's really sad that you now have to pay more attention to the empty weight of your luggage than the quality. I love my Hartmann luggage, but it is heavy.

As Keith1010 posts, it is getting truly ridiculous what people are carrying on to planes. Last Saturday, young couple-AA-NY/LAX- double stroller, 2 car seats, LARGE diaper bag (or something like it), one roller and a laptop case, in addition to two lap kids. The load was fairly full. The couple threw a MAJOR fit when FA told them then would have to gate check the stroller and car seats. I was in first and the guy banged everyone on the head with the car seats. Really po'd one guy-thought he was going to bust the young guy a good one. Young guy never even apologized. Bet he gets in the grocery store 10 item line with a weeks worth of groceries. Some people should be on Greyhound.

Archived