Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

I injured my toe on the walking track the other day. Was pushing ahead too hard for too long and it caught up to me.

I gave in yesterday and just did half my laps so my steps are down but still over goal.

Screenshot_20231101-082838_Pacer.thumb.jpg.ad4ae30acbe081a64b53608bd94b50d4.jpg

Glad to have the group walk today to motivate me back onto track.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Good morning. 

There is just one hour left to seperate ship time and US time. 

I did a little better sleeping in. It's still a little early but this is an improvement. 

I've got walk with Andy at 1015 I may try to get a quick bite of breakfast in and save brunch for just before they close.

Looks like a great deck party last night!!

I wonder if that the scene was matched on Cunard for Halloween?… Cunard doesn’t do big evening deck parties. 
However, I’ve seen videos from Cunard World Cruises on “Crossing the Line” ceremonies — Pollywogs getting initiated for first time crossing the equator. That ceremony involves King Neptune, the pool, and initiates getting dumped with tomato sauce. Something like that. 

• Like 1

Burrito time

Screenshot_20231101-084650_CarnivalHUB.thumb.jpg.dbb4ecdad2784b07657a437df4035f73.jpg

Sorry I ate the evidence, photo upload failed and that sucker is gone but it was sooo good today. I was nervous because there was a new person making them but she did even better than the regular lady.

Don't tell her I said that.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, NE John said:

I wonder if that the scene was matched on Cunard for Halloween?… Cunard doesn’t do big evening deck parties. 
However, I’ve seen videos from Cunard World Cruises on “Crossing the Line” ceremonies — Pollywogs getting initiated for first time crossing the equator. That ceremony involves King Neptune, the pool, and initiates getting dumped with tomato sauce. Something like that. 

I don't think Halloween got more than a mention 😆. Which is strange because the folks dress in costume at least twice a week. But I digress. 

That sounds like fun. My mom seems to be taking an interest in that 53 night South America cruise which will take us across the equator. I don't know that I will make it, its quite a bit out of my price range but she's brought it up a time or two. 

Edited by jam19872016
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, NE John said:

Cunard, you remember, is a vaguely ‘British’ line, and Hallowe’en, thankfully, is not nearly such a big deal here, especially among the oldies who make up so many passengers. Really not a thing.

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

Cunard, you remember, is a vaguely ‘British’ line, and Hallowe’en, thankfully, is not nearly such a big deal here, especially among the oldies who make up so many passengers. Really not a thing.

Yea I was surprised to see stores with Halloween displays at all. They weren't big but I didn't expect them I thought that was a mostly American holiday. 

Today is Día de Los Meurtos, it got a mention but we probably won't celebrate it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jam19872016 said:

Yea I was surprised to see stores with Halloween displays at all. They weren't big but I didn't expect them I thought that was a mostly American holiday. 

Today is Día de Los Meurtos, it got a mention but we probably won't celebrate it.

It’s much more popular among the young. However, they were thwarted last night here by heavy rain, so any plans to go house to house terrorising people fell into abeyance.  Next, we have Guy Fawkes Night, in a way worse, because it is noisy, and animals get scared.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

vaguely ‘British’ line

Cunard carries the red ensign flag of the British Merchant Navy. Plus: Royalty artwork everywhere onboard, the names of the ships are British queens, the use of “whilst” onboard…plenty of Britishness (especially from a Yank’s perspective). 
Now, if Cunard can remove Hamilton, Bermuda and stamp Southhampton on its aft, then any vagueness will be removed. 

• Like 1

That was a really great walk. Taking that half day could have been a slippery slope to not exercising but it ended up being what I needed. I felt good today instead of miserable and ready for it to be over. Ive got one mile left to do this afternoon and that will put me at four miles plus one lap.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

It’s much more popular among the young. However, they were thwarted last night here by heavy rain, so any plans to go house to house terrorising people fell into abeyance.  Next, we have Guy Fawkes Night, in a way worse, because it is noisy, and animals get scared.

That's how it is for new years and 4th of July here. All the fireworks frighten the poor animals. 

1 hour ago, Pear Carr said:

Of course! And I just watched grease on the TV on Cunard. 

• Like 2

The music in Habana is turned down to the point its just background noise. Nice!

16988497154684265652734995379043.thumb.jpg.ee17b335136d421eee9b1d96acb9d11d.jpg

Think I'm going to skip brunch and just grab some lunch later. I'm not really hungry and the menu is not nearly as exciting as it used to be before it got slimmed down.

The return of the tomato soup did nothing for me since I'm not a soup person.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

We are on Odyssey OTS and just had a port change. 
we are skipping Azores and have added Funchal.  We are only there 5:00 to 10:00 pm.

Anything close by to see?  Any outstanding restaurants close by?

I found whatsinport.com to be a great resource for getting an idea what to expect in a port. 

The weather is going to vastly improve as you get closer to the USA. Leaving some rough weather for beautiful skies and warm sunshine. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, NE John said:

Cunard carries the red ensign flag of the British Merchant Navy. Plus: Royalty artwork everywhere onboard, the names of the ships are British queens, the use of “whilst” onboard…plenty of Britishness (especially from a Yank’s perspective). 
Now, if Cunard can remove Hamilton, Bermuda and stamp Southhampton on its aft, then any vagueness will be removed. 

Exactly, British from a US perspective, slightly theme parkish.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Exactly, British from a US perspective, slightly theme parkish.

This is from memory so may be slightly wrong but still. Another strange thing was the old leather information booklets in the cabins. Near the back was information for distressed nationals abroad. First was for the US, which took up two sides of paper. UK and other nationalities followed with two sides between them. Was it simply that US nationals were regarded as being more in need of assistance? I’m not sure what happens in the post-Covid booklets.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

This is from memory so may be slightly wrong but still. Another strange thing was the old leather information booklets in the cabins. Near the back was information for distressed nationals abroad. First was for the US, which took up two sides of paper. UK and other nationalities followed with two sides between them. Was it simply that US nationals were regarded as being more in need of assistance? I’m not sure what happens in the post-Covid booklets.

We don't get out as much. Definitely need more assistance 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

We don't get out as much. Definitely need more assistance 😆

I don’t know about that. Do you remember the elderly American a few years ago on a minibus trip in some rather violent South American country, who, when they were attacked by some muggers, was able to recall the training he had had in the Marine Corps sixty years before and strangle one of them with his bare hands?

• Like 3

I don’t know about that. Do you remember the elderly American a few years ago on a minibus trip in some rather violent South American country, who, when they were attacked by some muggers, was able to recall the training he had had in the Marine Corps sixty years before and strangle one of them with his bare hands?

He did need consular assistance after that, mind you, as he was arrested.

• Like 2