Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

47 minutes ago, techteach said:

They Do make beautiful cakes. That last stir fry was a mess however.

I'm not sure what you can do to improve the appearance of stir fry. Noodles, vegetables, and meat in a bowl. It was all fresh and consistently one of the best offerings. The line for it is usually longer than I care to wait though.

48 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

BTW did you notice the pineapple upside down cake?

Dang it I'm missing the signs all around me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Your quest on these sea days should be to scour all of the lounges on the ship to find the off switch for the music.  Then post the list as for all Conquest class…. EM

The one in the jazz bar is easy because it's a portable speaker with a CD in it. I just hit pause 😆

The Habana bar is wired into the overhead and I'm afraid to touch things. Especially since I keep seeing the techs working on it. If it breaks again they may come looking at me with a $500 fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, techteach said:

Bacon with pepper is best when drawn out of a Bloody Mary and chased with a bite of celery.

Yum I can support that claim.

29 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Only on Cunard - where I don’t think I’ve ever seen any sort of decoration on anybody’s door, except perhaps a few inches of tinsel at Christmas. 🙂

Saw exactly one

20231009_100816.thumb.jpg.94d0a790e8a79b127ab3d7f88172b69a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, NE John said:

Just throw some ketchup on everything and you’re set!

That or hot sauce 😋 

19 minutes ago, techteach said:

I’ve spent the last 30 minutes catching up since Thursday. The cakes, for the most part, look really good. So, now I have to go prepare to bake a cake this afternoon. Love reading your posts @jam19872016 and I’m glad the food has improved. I wonder if they brought on new cooks in Las Palmas.

I think it just took some time to get into a rhythm. Glad it's worked out whatever changed.

What kind of cake? I love cake if you didn't know 😋 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Petersonfcu said:

This is so true.  The omelets are cooked in some kind of oil that is a total turnoff.  And what passes for eggs benedict sitting under a heat lamp?  Hard pass.  Soggy bacon and inedible scrambled eggs. Yuck.   HAL and Princess have a decent biscuit and gravy combo . . . but Carnival doesn't even have that on offer any more.  I am now reduced to eating fruit and cottage cheese at the breakfast buffet.  OK, the fruit is good and is good for me.  Sigh.   

The cottage cheese is also a good source of protein.  That’s what I usually have, but on MSC I found the sticky buns…I don’t think I’ll find them on my next cruise on Elation.  But I’ll be back on MSC in December for 10 days.  EM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petersonfcu said:

This is so true.  The omelets are cooked in some kind of oil that is a total turnoff.  And what passes for eggs benedict sitting under a heat lamp?  Hard pass.  Soggy bacon and inedible scrambled eggs. Yuck.   HAL and Princess have a decent biscuit and gravy combo . . . but Carnival doesn't even have that on offer any more.  I am now reduced to eating fruit and cottage cheese at the breakfast buffet.  OK, the fruit is good and is good for me.  Sigh.   

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

The cottage cheese is also a good source of protein.  That’s what I usually have, but on MSC I found the sticky buns…I don’t think I’ll find them on my next cruise on Elation.  But I’ll be back on MSC in December for 10 days.  EM

I can usually find one or two things I like on each line but I'm never impressed.

• Like 3

They surprised us, table ready at 618.

I ran ahead and grabbed the table so it didn't get unassigned and she will join me in a moment.

Edit: she made it pretty quick

Tonight's menu

Screenshot_20231030-150639_CarnivalHUB.thumb.jpg.cec917f6e194c671b629894ddddb497f.jpg

Screenshot_20231030-150652_CarnivalHUB.thumb.jpg.2dec761fa1e8897f5f7c6569db608926.jpg

Edited by jam19872016
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, chryso said:

The Jumbo shrimp would make a great starter.

Exactly why I skipped it 😆. Smallest entrée I've ever seen. It is good though I love the sauce it is served in.

4 minutes ago, techteach said:

@jam19872016 There are some good looking possibilities for dinner tonight. But, I want to remind you of the disaster last time you ordered the stuffed mushroom. I predict you will do the salmon. It’s pretty safe, except for what it’s been fed!

I thought about those mushrooms but skipped them. It's another item that changed over the years and not for the better. Will be glad to see the new menus roll out, at least I won't be comparing it to the original recipe. 

I did get the salmon, it's usually very good in that teriyaki glaze it comes with. Waiter confirmed it will come with the bed of noodles that it was missing last time, I was getting it either way but my mom wants it specifically for the noodles.

• Like 5

Crab cake was going very good. Had a nice flavor and lots of crab. I love the apple slaw it came with, I don't remember that before.

But it had some tiny bones in it. That's a major texture issue for me. Instant appetite killer. Wish I'd gone for the mushrooms now.

Teriyaki salmon and fettuccine Alfredo 704

169869629271273260380253026440.thumb.jpg.163d09a6a932c3ae6128a1d4452096a0.jpg

16986963106967554369494266803925.thumb.jpg.7e40a2c6741045e6cf6671200932d4e8.jpg

• Like 12

Crab cake was going very good. Had a nice flavor and lots of crab. I love the apple slaw it came with, I don't remember that before.

But it had some tiny bones in it. That's a major texture issue for me. Instant appetite killer. Wish I'd gone for the mushrooms now.

@jam19872016 Crab cake with tiny bones…something fishy about that. No bones in a crab. Do you you think they were tiny pieces of the cartilage or did they use an additional filler fish?

FYI - looking through lots of cake recipes and wish I had a some cream cheese.

The Alfredo was ok. I haven't ordered it since they changed it to come with chicken since I don't like to waste the chicken. I did, but it still was just OK. It tasted fine, it just didn't wow me.

The salmon was 10/10 good. Very tasty I sure hope that survived the menu change or that's my last shot at it.

For dessert I got the cheesecake from the coffee bar. 

20231030_163424.thumb.jpg.ab911faa38aa9cd9b4d17c3beb46c306.jpg

• Like 7