best way to get from San Pedro pier to LAX

jonthomas

Uber or Lyft...Have both apps, check who's cheaper when you get off the ship.

Going TO LAX, they can drop you right at the curb...no shuttles or LAX-it lot to deal with.  Easy, less than a taxi, no surprise meter readings.   It's never taken me more than 10 minutes to get a ride...usually quicker...

Exactly how easy is it to find one's Uber ride at San Pedro? We'll be disembarking off the Discovery Princess in mid-October, but we've tended to find, at least at Port Everglades, that there are always a huge number of people all crammed into a small area all trying to find their rides, and I always wonder how easy the pickup process is coming off a cruise ship. Although we usually Uber TO the ship from our hotel, we tend to take taxis back to the airport despite the higher cost as we find them easier to find. On a side note, the last few times we've done an early self-walkoff from a ship at San Pedro, say around 7:30AM (admittedly pre-pandemic), there have been no taxis anywhere in sight, but we were lucky enough for flag down a now defunct Supershuttle ride back to LAX.

Excellent, thanks guys. Sounds like it will a lot easier than at Port Everglades.  I also remember that the physical layout at SP (we'll be at Berth 93 this trip) is a lot more open and easier to navigate than the confined area at PE Terminal 2, so I expect that at our 7:30-8AM it shouldn't be too tough to find our specific Uber.

For those more familiar with Uber/Lyft, how far in advance to you book a ride?  Day before? A few days? Weeks? Are you charged at time of booking? Is tip included?  Thx... obviously new to ride share and appreciate any advice.

1 hour ago, julia said:

For those more familiar with Uber/Lyft, how far in advance to you book a ride?  Day before? A few days? Weeks? Are you charged at time of booking? Is tip included?  Thx... obviously new to ride share and appreciate any advice.

I DON'T book ahead.  In my experience, that usually gets you a higher price...and I've also had a rideshare company booked a week ahead only to have them cancel on me the morning of the ride.  It sounds good, but it doesn't work.

My strategy is to:

1) have both Uber and Lyft apps downloaded and set up.

2) When you need the ride, log on at both (you just input the destination in the "Where to" box...the app knows exactly where you are).

3) Choose whichever one gives you the best deal (the app will let you know the price--tip not included--and how many minutes it should take the driver to reach you),  Accept the deal and just close out of the other app.  If both prices seem high, close both, wait a minute or two and try again...sometimes prices go down.  It also gives you choices (with different prices) for a regular car, a larger vehicle, a luxury vehicle, one equipped for handicaps, Spanish speaking, etc.

4) Look for your ride.  The apps tell you the driver's name, his/her type and color car and license plate number...and gives you a tracker map that shows him driving to meet you in real time.

After the ride, the app will send you an email that lets you add a tip.

You will be surprised at how well it all works.

Oh...other benefit:  You've input your credit card number into the system, so there is no need to pull out your wallet, give the driver a credit card, have sufficient cash on hand, etc.  Your card is charged at the end of the ride.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Ricks said:

What is the average cost of Uber from LAX Hilton to San Pedro the day of of the cruise 

Day of week and time of day are always important.

In your case since the Bliss leaves on Sundays in November, Uber should be as cheap as it gets. It could be as low as $35, but more likely $40, up to $50 in the high side.

On 9/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, Bruin Steve said:

I DON'T book ahead.  In my experience, that usually gets you a higher price...and I've also had a rideshare company booked a week ahead only to have them cancel on me the morning of the ride.  It sounds good, but it doesn't work.

My strategy is to:

1) have both Uber and Lyft apps downloaded and set up.

2) When you need the ride, log on at both (you just input the destination in the "Where to" box...the app knows exactly where you are).

3) Choose whichever one gives you the best deal (the app will let you know the price--tip not included--and how many minutes it should take the driver to reach you),  Accept the deal and just close out of the other app.  If both prices seem high, close both, wait a minute or two and try again...sometimes prices go down.  It also gives you choices (with different prices) for a regular car, a larger vehicle, a luxury vehicle, one equipped for handicaps, Spanish speaking, etc.

4) Look for your ride.  The apps tell you the driver's name, his/her type and color car and license plate number...and gives you a tracker map that shows him driving to meet you in real time.

After the ride, the app will send you an email that lets you add a tip.

You will be surprised at how well it all works.

Oh...other benefit:  You've input your credit card number into the system, so there is no need to pull out your wallet, give the driver a credit card, have sufficient cash on hand, etc.  Your card is charged at the end of the ride.

I have found the opposite.  When we use Uber for cruises we always book the day before.  I can tell you in Lauderdale, the price difference from our hotel to the cruise port can literally be double if you wait until the day of.  I realize it could vary by port.  But Uber loves to do surge pricing when cruises are leaving or arriving.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:18 AM, phoenix_dream said:

I have found the opposite.  When we use Uber for cruises we always book the day before.  I can tell you in Lauderdale, the price difference from our hotel to the cruise port can literally be double if you wait until the day of.  I realize it could vary by port.  But Uber loves to do surge pricing when cruises are leaving or arriving.

Los Angeles isn't Fort Lauderdale. FLL can have 5 ships in at the same time with another 5 at MIA. LA it is usually one ship, sometimes two, but seldom more.

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2023 at 11:30 AM, scottca075 said:

Los Angeles isn't Fort Lauderdale. FLL can have 5 ships in at the same time with another 5 at MIA. LA it is usually one ship, sometimes two, but seldom more.

I'm completely aware of that.  Long time cruiser.  But Uber still will get an extra buck when they can.  Having fewer ships doesn't necessarily prevent them from surge pricing.  Will it be double?  Can't say that for sure, but definitely can be more expensive.

15 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm completely aware of that.  Long time cruiser.  But Uber still will get an extra buck when they can.  Having fewer ships doesn't necessarily prevent them from surge pricing.  Will it be double?  Can't say that for sure, but definitely can be more expensive.

No it won't be double and it isn't even very likely that they'd do surge pricing, since not that many people off the ships in San Pedro use Uber. The cruises out of San Pedro tend to be an older crowd and a lot of them stick to the old methods.

Oh, and San Pedro is off the beaten path, again, unlike Port Everglades. Port Everglades is essentially in 'downtown Fort Lauderdale' and close to a major airport. With San Pedro not being a major city, Uber drivers will show up just because a ship is in. There would not be a lot of other people in the area competing for an Uber.

1 hour ago, Robroy said:

We arrived in San Pedro May 18th this year - ordered an Uber after debarkation at 9:00am. Waited about five minutes for the ride. Cost was $50 to Terminal 6. Very smooth process.

Rob

We're going to be sailing out of SP in a few weeks as well, first time in about 5 years. We are also heading for AC at Terminal 6. How busy was the ride share pickup area when you ordered your ride at 9AM, were there a ton of other folks? I'm always nervous about ordering an Uber from a cruise port when I see how many people all congregate in the small, incredibly crowded rideshare pickup space at Terminal 2 in Port Everglades. Knowing the layout at SP, I expect it will be a lot less frenetic than PE. We always do self-walkoff so I plan to be outside ordering our Uber NLT 8AM.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We're going to be sailing out of SP in a few weeks as well, first time in about 5 years. We are also heading for AC at Terminal 6. How busy was the ride share pickup area when you ordered your ride at 9AM, were there a ton of other folks? I'm always nervous about ordering an Uber from a cruise port when I see how many people all congregate in the small, incredibly crowded rideshare pickup space at Terminal 2 in Port Everglades. Knowing the layout at SP, I expect it will be a lot less frenetic than PE. We always do self-walkoff so I plan to be outside ordering our Uber NLT 8AM.

As you know, Port Everglades is a total zoo compared with SP as Scott has confirmed in an earlier post. There was lots of space in the ride-share area. Not sure about the 8:00am time but at 9:00 there was virtually no lineup or mass of people to deal with. Our Uber was prompt in arriving and it was nice to know that exactly what your ride would cost with a fixed rate as we ran into some traffic tie-ups en route to LAX. I much preferred this versus watching the meter running.......
Have a great trip!

Rob

1 hour ago, Robroy said:

As you know, Port Everglades is a total zoo compared with SP as Scott has confirmed in an earlier post. There was lots of space in the ride-share area. Not sure about the 8:00am time but at 9:00 there was virtually no lineup or mass of people to deal with. Our Uber was prompt in arriving and it was nice to know that exactly what your ride would cost with a fixed rate as we ran into some traffic tie-ups en route to LAX. I much preferred this versus watching the meter running.......
Have a great trip!

Rob

Great news, thanks Rob. The absolute pandemonium we see at PE every time we leave to head to FLL (we always take taxis) had me worried, but now we will definitely be Ubering back to LAX. We'll be using it from our hotel in Torrance on embarkation day as well, but we will probably use a taxi from LAX to Torrance after landing the day before.  I can't be bothered to use the LAX-It lot and there is supposed to be a taxi stand just a bit down from Terminal 6, near Terminal 7.

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

No it won't be double and it isn't even very likely that they'd do surge pricing, since not that many people off the ships in San Pedro use Uber. The cruises out of San Pedro tend to be an older crowd and a lot of them stick to the old methods.

And yet on our cruise out of San Pedro this past March there definitely was surge pricing. I agree it tends to be an older crowd that doesn't use Uber as much. All the more reason for Uber to try to get as much $$ as they can. I'm not claiming it always happens,  but it doesn't hurt, and very well may help, for people to book ahead of time. Since it costs no more, why not pre-book to be confident you are getting the best price.