Seriously now-how many of you are REALLY looking at other cruise lines because of the CEO's changes going on?

Linda W.

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Yeah no kidding. I recently booked the Beyond for March and return flights from Pearson  are just under $800.  Thinking of booking with Celebrity and flying out day of cruise. Any advice?

I would not fly out day of from an experience we had. We were to fly Toronto to Dublin, land and go directly to ship.   Mechanical,  and we ended up back at Pearson at midnight       No more flights.   Since we booked with FBC, they looked after us and we caught up with the ship in Belfast.      you never know when weather will factor a delay or a mechanical.    March is always dicey.   

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Have you checked on Flyporter.com , since Porter is flying to Florida now 

Will check porter airlines but I thought they fly out of the island Airport and I live in Mississauga pretty close to Pearson. Thanks for the information 

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Yeah no kidding. I recently booked the Beyond for March and return flights from Pearson  are just under $800.  Thinking of booking with Celebrity and flying out day of cruise. Any advice?

My advice is no way in you-know-where would I ever fly in the day of, especially these days.  For one thing, these days flights are almost always 100% full.  So what happens if your flight gets cancelled?  You may not be able to get on another that day, and certainly not in time to make the ship.  Or maybe not even the next day.  Will Celebrity ultimately hook you up with your cruise?  Yes if they can.  But it may be mid-way through it.  Not a chance I would take after spending thousands of dollars on a cruise

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Will check porter airlines but I thought they fly out of the island Airport and I live in Mississauga pretty close to Pearson. Thanks for the information 

With Porters new jets it should give AC a bit of a scare

especially since Westjet has basically let Eastern Canada 

you should check the Canadian section on CC , there usually some good flight info there 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

With Porters new jets it should give AC a bit of a scare

especially since Westjet has basically let Eastern Canada 

you should check the Canadian section on CC , there usually some good flight info there 

Thanks I did check porters flights and its almost a $100 savings return over AC.  Only thing is they charge for carry on and my bag will fit under the seat 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

My advice is no way in you-know-where would I ever fly in the day of, especially these days.  For one thing, these days flights are almost always 100% full.  So what happens if your flight gets cancelled?  You may not be able to get on another that day, and certainly not in time to make the ship.  Or maybe not even the next day.  Will Celebrity ultimately hook you up with your cruise?  Yes if they can.  But it may be mid-way through it.  Not a chance I would take after spending thousands of dollars on a cruise

In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have booked March break but the alternative was March 1 and its three weeks after my Panama canal cruise on Princess. Guess I'll just bite the bullet.

I have been Celebrity loyal with over 100 cruises since 1999. I did a TA on the Silhouette and the feel of the cruise was different than what I'd come to expect. I'm doing a short cruise on Equinox as a test to see if Celebrity is still among my choices. I've taken Crystal, Oceania and Oceania in the last year and I rate them, based on my preferences and experience Crystal, Viking, Celebrity and Oceania.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Orator said:

I have been Celebrity loyal with over 100 cruises since 1999. I did a TA on the Silhouette and the feel of the cruise was different than what I'd come to expect. I'm doing a short cruise on Equinox as a test to see if Celebrity is still among my choices. I've taken Crystal, Oceania and Oceania in the last year and I rate them, based on my preferences and experience Crystal, Viking, Celebrity and Oceania.

Was just now checking Crystal and my goodness, they certainly have some interesting itineraries.  I haven't given up on Celebrity altogether but am limiting future cruises to Silhouette or Reflection, in that order, and opting for specialty dining.  Have you cruised Regent?

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Was just now checking Crystal and my goodness, they certainly have some interesting itineraries.  I haven't given up on Celebrity altogether but am limiting future cruises to Silhouette or Reflection, in that order, and opting for specialty dining.  Have you cruised Regent?

Haven't cruised Regent. The new Crystal is pricy, but reports say that it's worth it. I was on the last  two cruises of Symphony under the former owners and the staff was amazing! Crystal brought key people back under the new owners.

I've been on Celebrity when it was still celebrity, been on Princess, but not overly impressed, and am booked for Alaska on HAL for almost  $2000.00 less than Celebrity, and have everything included, including tips and a $100.00 pp excursion credit. There's definitely something wrong with this picture. I  would be able to see a $1000.00 difference if all things were equal, but that ship has left with Celebrity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We've been on Regent & it's way above X, even though we've cruised on X the most of the lines.. In fact, we've recently booked a cruise on Regent's new Grandeur & it was only $1000 more than X when you add all the comparable perks, but without the extra room in cabin & public spaces, better service & food.We are beginning to prefer smaller ships with real, not infinity balconies.

• Like 4

It isn't only price and cuts driving me to other cruise lines. I wish Celebrity weren't so committed to 100% bathtub/shower combos in suites below royal.  The tubs eliminate suites as an option.  And I want a "real" balcony so there goes E-class and its better MDR food.  That leaves few choices = Silhouette or Reflection and their three specialty restaurants.  Sure limits itinerary options.  All those things have led me to booking two other lines.

BTW, are there any other suites on an X ship with a walk-in shower, other than 6145/6 on M-class?  Are the Deck 12 sky/aqua suites on Refection all the bathtub combos? 

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

It isn't only price and cuts driving me to other cruise lines. I wish Celebrity weren't so committed to 100% bathtub/shower combos in suites below royal.  The tubs eliminate suites as an option.  And I want a "real" balcony so there goes E-class and its better MDR food.  That leaves few choices = Silhouette or Reflection and their three specialty restaurants.  Sure limits itinerary options.  All those things have led me to booking two other lines.

BTW, are there any other suites on an X ship with a walk-in shower, other than 6145/6 on M-class?  Are the Deck 12 sky/aqua suites on Refection all the bathtub combos? 

Hi Ruth,

We tried Princess for the first time in March - angled balcony cabin. Less space in cabin and on balcony compared to "hump' cabin on Silhouette. As the ship was at 50% capacity we were offered a free move to a mini suite. Great size, better balcony but impossible to accept as it only had a tub not a walk in shower. Regretably all mini suites are the same - such a shame as a 50/50 split would have made much more sense.

Geoff and the boss (Anita).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

A handicapped cabin will get you a walk-in shower. We had a sunset S1 on Apex. That tub is difficult to get in and out of for the shower. We had the same problem with a corner suite on the Refection; the tub sides are too high. You have to hang on for dear life!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dabear said:

We've been on Regent & it's way above X, even though we've cruised on X the most of the lines.. In fact, we've recently booked a cruise on Regent's new Grandeur & it was only $1000 more than X when you add all the comparable perks, but without the extra room in cabin & public spaces, better service & food.We are beginning to prefer smaller ships with real, not infinity balconies.

I posted on this elsewhere, but I've a big birthday next year and we're booking the Grandeur.  An F2 category suite is CHEAPER than a Sky Suite on the E-class ships, if you can believe that. God bless X for being able to fully book ships at these prices (and with somewhat diminished offerings/services)--they continue down this path as long as people will pay the price.  

8 minutes ago, dabear said:

It's a shame that X is changing a previously very good product into a mediocre one that's overpriced. Experienced cruisers see this but newbies or cheerleaders do not.

There is no right or wrong, yes or no, experienced vs newbies/cheerleaders.

If you don't feel the reward is worth the invest go somewhere else where it is. But, for gosh sakes, stop whining because others don't see it your way, or agree.

• Like 2

We are now looking into a Princess cruise, to try them out as well. If the price is right we will book it as we like the itinerary. This is not a reflection on X, just that we want to see how many good options are out there for us.

We looked at Oceania and Viking and those prices are more than what we want to pay for a cruise. The key for us trying lines like HAL and Princess, is to see how they handle my food allergy and if they do well, they will be added to our search list. Currently the list is X, RCCL, and HAL. We do look at Disney, but saw that a 2 night cruise in an inside room was 1700$ which is insane, so they have pretty much fallen off our list for price and other reasons.

43 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

There is no right or wrong, yes or no, experienced vs newbies/cheerleaders.

If you don't feel the reward is worth the invest go somewhere else where it is. But, for gosh sakes, stop whining because others don't see it your way, or agree.

Thanks for your very deep advice. I was not whining, merely stating my opinion with far more experience than you.

• Like 1

Speaking of trying other lines, I just got the most hysterical photo as part of a Silverseas promotion.  It showed four people in their early 30s that look like the came out of an upscale perfume ad with an arty leaning.  The women are pencil thin in slinky long sheaths and very tall stiletto heels and the men look like buff male models and are in Tuxs with the ties undone.  They are sitting by the swimming pool drinking champagne.

This is not the image of I had of Silverseas.  I think a more appropriate photo would be of a 60s very rich, very country club casual couple with a little silver in their hair (at least his hair).  They are on their balcony, gazing into one another eyes while toasting a perfect sunset.  They might be enjoying a well earned retirement.

I would not even want to cruise with the people in this ad. The guys look like they might light up a cigar at any second.  LOL. I guess Silverseas doesn't want older cruisers either.

Booked on Oceania Vista next year. Based on the reduction of food quality and choice on Celebrity, I would only sail in Aqua for Blu (did that last month) and since the new prices for Aqua are about on par with standard veranda or french veranda (depending on Vista or Riviera) staterooms on O, I would chose O over X any day. On Celebrity our only good dining option would be dinner in Blu. On Oceania, food is wonderful everywhere on the ship and it's ALL included. Also I would not book with Celebrity again unless it was not only Aqua but a good last minute deal, because you never know what they are going to cut back or take away, from month to month it seems. I'm also looking at trying Princess for a future cruise.

2 hours ago, dabear said:

It's a shame that X is changing a previously very good product into a mediocre one that's overpriced. Experienced cruisers see this but newbies or cheerleaders do not.

It is your opinion that it’s a mediocre and over-priced product.  And even new cruisers have life experience and are capable of making that judgement despite you thinking with your superiority complex we are naive. I don’t mind people who are of the same view as you, I do mind the derogatory tone of posts like yours.