Customs When you arrive in Rotterdam?

Cruise NH

For those who have taken cruises out of Rotterdam.

We're on a Norway cruise round trip out of Rotterdam next year.  The ship is only going to Norway ports, will we have to go through customs when we debark?  

I'm wondering because we have a pre-noon flight out of Amsterdam I want to make sure (as much as it is possible) that we can make it.  We intend to self disembark and get a car service (looking for one now).  

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We were on a cruise from Amsterdam to Norway and back. No customs on disembarkation. 

Thanks for your response.  Do you happen to remember when people were allowed to self disembark by any chance?

2 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Thanks for your response.  Do you happen to remember when people were allowed to self disembark by any chance?

Sorry, don't remember exactly. I believe if you tell them you have a flight, depending on what time the ship actually is confirmed to dock, they should let you go. The Amsterdam airport has notorious delays due to backups at time; I don't want to scare you, but you should know.

As your flight seems to be at 11:35 I would honestly say it could be a problem it is on a Saturday which will improve the odds. The situation last year in Amsterdam (and others hubs) was hopeless to say the least but it has improved and we have left from there twice this year with no problems.

International check in is 3 hours in advance. If at all possible I would rethink your flight or stay an extra day in Amsterdam or Rotterdam so you will not be worrying during your cruise.

This info should help.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/

Edited by cruiseaholic78

I totally agree with @cruiseaholic78: either get a later flight or enjoy an extra day in either Amsterdam or Rotterdam (both great cities). Driving from the cruise terminal to Schiphol Airport is a minimum of one hour. If you arrive in Rotterdam at 7 am it will leave you no room for any delay whatsoever. 

Totally agree. If your flight is scheduled for 11:35, you have an excellent chance of missing it, even if you are one of the first passengers to disembark and even if you have a pre-arranged car to transport you from the Rotterdam pier to the airport in Amsterdam. Avoid the tension and uncertainty and either book a later flight or stay an extra day.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I did change our flight.  I don't mind a little stress but DH does so why go through it?  We actually decided to stay a couple of nights, probably in Amsterdam or at the airport because I think there's pretty good transportation to downtown.

Thanks again!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

We actually decided to stay a couple of nights, probably in Amsterdam or at the airport because I think there's pretty good transportation to downtown.

During the day there will be around 8 trains each hour between Schiphol Airport and Amsterdam Central Station, and it only takes 14 minutes or so. There are a couple of hotels directly at Schiphol Airport (in walking distance of the trains) which are the Sheraton, Hilton and citizenM. And the rest of the "Schiphol" hotels will provide a shuttle bus to the Airport. But there are also lots of hotels in the center of Amsterdam itself. 
Whatever you do, have a great cruise, and enjoy your stay in The Netherlands!

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

Thanks for everyone's input.  I did change our flight.  I don't mind a little stress but DH does so why go through it?  We actually decided to stay a couple of nights, probably in Amsterdam or at the airport because I think there's pretty good transportation to downtown.

Thanks again!

When we were in Amsterdam we stayed in the center of the city while my cousins stayed at the airport. We only had to make one trip to the airport, when we departed, whereas they had to go back and forth. There are many hotels near Centraal Station, so it's easy to get there from Rotterdam or anywhere.

Thanks again for all the information, it’s so helpful.  Not surprisingly downtown hotels on the weekend in June are very expensive so we decided to stay at the Hilton at the airport.  We’ll only be going downtown one day so I don’t think it will be a big deal.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Just another FYI.  We cruised out of Amsterdam in August and there plenty of taxis waiting outside the cruise terminal to take you to the hotel

The OP is not cruising out of Amsterdam. As their post indicates, they are cruising out of Rotterdam, and flying out of Schiphol in Amsterdam.

Just now, Ipeeinthepools said:

Your absolutely correct.  We did a round trip out of Amsterdam in August.  But if you are doing corrections, didn't OP decide to stay a couple of nights in Amsterdam?  Doesn't the OP need transportation from the Amsterdam cruise port to their hotel in Amsterdam?  

They did decide to stay several nights in Amsterdam, according to their later post. Glad your cruise from Amsterdam was enjoyable, but the OP is not using the Amsterdam cruise port,  they are using Rotterdam. Consequently the info about the Amsterdam cruise port is pretty irrelevant.

34 minutes ago, DE Solo said:

The OP is not cruising out of Amsterdam. As their post indicates, they are cruising out of Rotterdam, and flying out of Schiphol in Amsterdam.

You are correct.  Since the OP was asking about making am 11:35 am flight, I incorrectly assumed they were returning to Amsterdam.  Making an 11:35 am flight from another city never occurred to me.