Carry-on baggage discrepancy causing a serious issue

Michael_A

1 hour ago, LoveToBeOnTheSea said:

Just completed a voyage on the World Voyager today. Charter flights were on Flybondi. Most people had more than one carry-on item and no one was checking weights

Exactly my experience on numerous flights with draconian published restrictions.

Hope you had a wonderful trip.  We would love to hear details when you have settled in back home.  We board World Voyager in February and would love to hear how Atlas is doing this year.  Thank you for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh.... this just goes on 🙄. Got a "30 day out" email and... guess what? Yup, the carry on weights have changed again! (I think this is the 6th time). Having my TA run interference. I'm beyond pissed, and have just moved into a space of  contemptuous apathy. So far, the carry on weights have been 5lbs, 7lbs, 10lbs, 17lbs, 22lbs, back to 17lbs, corrected to 10 kilos (22lbs), now back to 17lbs.... and so it goes. 🤬

48 minutes ago, IUBeth92 said:

I returned recently from my AOV cruise to Antarctica and there was no weighing of bags to/from Ushuaia. 

Thanks for sharing your actual experience.  I look forward to reading a similar post from @Michael_A in January.

Well... I got my final cruise documents, and sure enough the limit changed again. So... my TA ran interference, again and, the next day this email from AOV showed up:

image.thumb.png.92456c54e1c5e8248e65a0926df592e8.png

Now, to give the benefit of the doubt, there IS the possibility that the limits are different depending on the charter airline. Aerolíneas Argentinas does state, in a rather confusing sense, their limit which is lower, on their website - though Fly Bondi really isn't any more clear. I think the overriding factor is their charter contract with the respective airline. I will be doing a video trip review upon my return, as well as posting up my experiences at the airport pre and post cruise here.

• 1 month later...

We flew FlyBondi yesterday.  Went very smoothly from arriving at airport to loading and p/u luggage on arrival and they provided a sanwich, chips  cookie and non alcoholic drink.

51 minutes ago, allovertanguy said:

Nice video that you posted on another topic.  Did you end up having any issues with your carry-on luggage?

Not really... I did notice the FlyBondi people aggressively weighing and calling people out on carry on luggage for their REGULAR flights, but NOT the Atlas' charter. So I guess if you are flying the private charter, there is a bit more leeway. But if you make your own arrangements to Ushuaia and are flying on of the "usual suspects" there is a higher likelihood of getting your stuff weighed.

Edited by Michael_A

Also traveled on Atlas a couple weeks ago. No weighing or issue with carryons for our Fly Bondi flights. I carried on a backpack and a purse, others had larger or similar items, no one even glanced at them. Our checked luggage was taken from the hotel to the ship so there was no chance to charge for overages. 

I also few Aerolíneas Argentinas domestic after and was given stricter weight limits, which I followed. I ended up leaving my suitcase at my hotel in BA and only bringing a backpack and carry on for the side trip. Not sure how check in was and they were not weighing bags at the gate in BA or Iguazu Falls though, so I don't know that it really mattered. 

As others pointed out, I suspect the discrepancy is with the charter companies and is what's on paper, not how its enforced for the actual charter flights. Not worth a lot of stress if the worst case is to pay a <$100 fee to have something you really want with you.

13 hours ago, BayGirl22 said:

Also traveled on Atlas a couple weeks ago. No weighing or issue with carryons for our Fly Bondi flights. I carried on a backpack and a purse, others had larger or similar items, no one even glanced at them. Our checked luggage was taken from the hotel to the ship so there was no chance to charge for overages. 

I also few Aerolíneas Argentinas domestic after and was given stricter weight limits, which I followed. I ended up leaving my suitcase at my hotel in BA and only bringing a backpack and carry on for the side trip. Not sure how check in was and they were not weighing bags at the gate in BA or Iguazu Falls though, so I don't know that it really mattered. 

As others pointed out, I suspect the discrepancy is with the charter companies and is what's on paper, not how its enforced for the actual charter flights. Not worth a lot of stress if the worst case is to pay a <$100 fee to have something you really want with you.

Well said, and a good summation of the reality after all the tsuris of this thread.  Basta!