Discovery Princess suites

helencruising

We just returned from a week in R616, one of the S4 Riviera deck suites on the Discovery, and previously had a similar one on the Sky.  We haven't tried any of the other locations so can't really compare, but my impressions were:

• The location was great, near to the concierge lounge and the aft elevators.  It was easy to stagger over to the lounge for my first dose of caffeine each morning, and to pop up two flights of stairs to visit the Wake View bar.
  • The suite layout was good, with enough storage space for all of our stuff and a heavy curtain between the bedroom and living areas so the early riser (me) wouldn't need to disturb the late sleeper too much in the morning!  The separate bathroom entrances were also a plus.
  • The balcony is indeed quite narrow.  We didn't entertain or spend a lot of time out there, so it was adequate for our needs.  But it could be suboptimal if you want to host a party or spread out and sunbathe.

One other note: Our suite was quite near a crew area door and the laundry room, but we never heard a thing from either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello-

Is soot still a problem for the aft suites on the newer ships?

We were on the Royal a couple years back and the balcony was completely unusable.

If not improved, I'd select one of the Penthouse near the concierge lounge.

Walt

Edited by SDWalt

On 9/9/2023 at 4:31 PM, smf81 said:

We just returned from a week in R616, one of the S4 Riviera deck suites on the Discovery, and previously had a similar one on the Sky.  We haven't tried any of the other locations so can't really compare, but my impressions were:

• The location was great, near to the concierge lounge and the aft elevators.  It was easy to stagger over to the lounge for my first dose of caffeine each morning, and to pop up two flights of stairs to visit the Wake View bar.
  • The suite layout was good, with enough storage space for all of our stuff and a heavy curtain between the bedroom and living areas so the early riser (me) wouldn't need to disturb the late sleeper too much in the morning!  The separate bathroom entrances were also a plus.
  • The balcony is indeed quite narrow.  We didn't entertain or spend a lot of time out there, so it was adequate for our needs.  But it could be suboptimal if you want to host a party or spread out and sunbathe.

One other note: Our suite was quite near a crew area door and the laundry room, but we never heard a thing from either.

R616 is the one that we had and loved on Majestic. Can't wait to return to it in 56 days!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 11:42 PM, CalTexCruiser said:

On our Mexican Riviera cruise, we surprisingly enjoyed the Window Suite on the Discovery Princess.

Has anyone noticed that Window Suites on Royal Class ships are now coming up under the Mini Suite option rather than the Suite option?  The price is in the same range as a suite but have yet to work if you get the same perks.  Rather bizarre.

image.thumb.png.11724487e426272e1436e14200530155.png

Edited by dides

Yep, saw that about a month ago.  I was comparing the prices/availability, and I remembered  something the onboard consultant said regarding the location in the booking engine.  I had gone to see him as I was unable to find them when I logged onto my device from my cabin.  This was for the Sky Princess.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dides said:

Has anyone noticed that Window Suites on Royal Class ships are now coming up under the Mini Suite option rather than the Suite option?  The price is in the same range as a suite but have yet to work if you get the same perks.  Rather bizarre.

image.thumb.png.11724487e426272e1436e14200530155.png

I've booked window suites on the Caribbean and Grand several times under the mini-suite option, so this is not a new change. It took me a while to find them after they made the change. Note from your extract above for Window Suite: "along with special suite-only benefits". You do get the suite perks.

I can understand the change from a marketing perspective. For those of us who know what we want and where to find it, it doesn't matter where they put it. However, it may matter to others. If someone is looking for a suite, Princess doesn't want them to see the Window Suite at a lower price - they would rather sell them the more expensive suite with balcony. They want someone looking for a mini-suite to upgrade to a Window Suite instead.

Just now, NavyVeteran said:

I've booked window suites on the Caribbean and Grand several times under the mini-suite option, so this is not a new change. It took me a while to find them after they made the change. Note from your extract above for Window Suite: "along with special suite-only benefits". You do get the suite perks.

I can understand the change from a marketing perspective. For those of us who know what we want and where to find it, it doesn't matter where they put it. However, it may matter to others. If someone is looking for a suite, Princess doesn't want them to see the Window Suite at a lower price - they would rather sell them the more expensive suite with balcony. They want someone looking for a mini-suite to upgrade to a Window Suite instead.

Thanks for confirming. I was only looking because Princess UK invited some blogger/vloggers to a Sky Princess ship visit yesterday to promote features for families. They were also invited to film one of these Window Suites because they wanted them to become more well known and they are usually the last ones to sell!  We usually go for Premium Suites which are exactly the same price it seems.

I booked one of the two Owner's Suites for an upcoming Discovery sailing to the Mexican Riviera. I've never stayed in this suite (E729) and am interested to hear input from anyone who has. It's a rather large suite at 879 sq ft and is situated over the Vista Lounge (should I be concerned about noise?). 

3 hours ago, seagunthera said:

I booked one of the two Owner's Suites for an upcoming Discovery sailing to the Mexican Riviera. I've never stayed in this suite (E729) and am interested to hear input from anyone who has. It's a rather large suite at 879 sq ft and is situated over the Vista Lounge (should I be concerned about noise?). 

We stayed in this suite last year to Alaska.   We never heard anything from the Vista Lounge.  Had a little soot on the balcony on the last 2 days and the balcony is not really covered at all but still loved the suite!  Wanted to book it for Alaska next year but was not available.  ENJOY

• Like 1

We had E728 last fall on the Discovery and have it booked again for next April.  Never heard anything from the lounge either. 

No idea on the hide a bed as we didn't need it either.  Bathroom where the shower is, is quite nice and bigger than the PH suites.  So much storage in this cabin also.  We never utilized all of it even with everything we brought with us. 

We also had a little soot on our balcony also, but it didn't make it unuseable.  We wiped off the seats and it was fine then.  The balcony was so nice and it was utilized a lot on our cruise.

You will enjoy the suite and with 3 of you it will be very comfortable.

On 9/9/2023 at 7:26 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

We were in that suite. The walk is good for you.

The balcony could be bigger, but the enormous bedroom makes up for it.

Our steward was the worst we've ever had. Always thought suite stewards were the "best of the best".

Totally agree. The extra steps helped us burn off those extra cruise calories! What I enjoyed most was how quiet it was as there were very few cabins around us. The large bedroom made up for the small balcony which we only used a handful of times anyways. I also appreciated how I could lay our swimsuits to dry atop the wide expanse of drawers under the windows. 

3 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Thank you for the review! My teen will be on the couch and am wondering if you had anyone sleeping there? If so, how comfortable is that sofa/pull-out bed? Also, when you say soot on the last two days, as in the balcony was unusable during that time? TIA!

Our 19 year old granddaughter slept on the sofa bed and said it was very comfortable.  The soot was minimal - we just used a towel to wipe off the railing and chairs to sit on so was not a real problem.  

Enjoy the suite - if it is your first suite on a Royal class ship be sure to learn about and partake in the suite benefits!

15 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Pictures E-729 no noise

20180720_184517.jpg.36bf3958fc62ccdd6cf5a8a55702071f.jpg

20180719_141239.jpg.c7a14dc8258e439b99a6bde5794d6c01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1