Straights of Gibraltar

CelticMutt

17 minutes ago, CelticMutt said:

Hi, all!

We are on the Saturn next week and the itinerary calls for a passage through the Straights of Gibraltar. If anyone has done this passage before, can we see the Rock of Gibraltar from the ship as we cruise though?

Affirmative, have sailed both directions many times. Whether you see the Rock and the quality of the viewing will depend on which direction your are sailing and the visibility.

If departing the Meddy, ships sail on the Stbd, or north side of the channel. You are normally a couple of miles offshore, so most days have a view of the shore and the Rock.

Sailing into the Meddy, you are also on the Stbd side of the channel, which is the south, or African side. On a clear day, you can see the Rock, at a distance of about 6 miles.

In my experience, they have many hazy days, especially when it is hot. Only experienced a few really clear transits.

Edited by Heidi13

The Straits of Gibraltar are only 7 nautical miles wide at the narrowest point.  The Rock should be visible depending on weather and if you pass through in daylight.  There is a traffic separation scheme so the Westbound route is closer to the Rock.

On 9/5/2023 at 4:32 PM, jkadventures said:

We just stayed at the Center Grandi and had one of our best meals of the trip at Hofnin, about a 5min walk from the hotel. Suggest you go early. or make a reservation.  Also just be aware of a major construction site directly behind the hotel.  Tough to sleep during the day after a long overnight flight.  

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, have sailed both directions many times. Whether you see the Rock and the quality of the viewing will depend on which direction your are sailing and the visibility.

If departing the Meddy, ships sail on the Stbd, or north side of the channel. You are normally a couple of miles offshore, so most days have a view of the shore and the Rock.

Sailing into the Meddy, you are also on the Stbd side of the channel, which is the south, or African side. On a clear day, you can see the Rock, at a distance of about 6 miles.

In my experience, they have many hazy days, especially when it is hot. Only experienced a few really clear transits.

Thank you folks for the input. Perfect; just what I was looking for!!

On 9/7/2023 at 12:38 PM, CelticMutt said:

Hi, all!

We are on the Saturn next week and the itinerary calls for a passage through the Straights of Gibraltar. If anyone has done this passage before, can we see the Rock of Gibraltar from the ship as we cruise though?

SO I guess the "Straights of Gibraltar" are hetero. 😄

• Haha 2

Well the view I had of the straits at zero dark hundred in 2022 was total fog. A few hardy souls were up at the appointed hour to see total fog.

Doing the Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale in November this year, so hoping this time to see something☺️

StraitGibralter.JPG

Edited by BravoTango

On 9/8/2023 at 5:36 PM, JeffElizabeth said:

We have only gone by late at night. Next time I will set an alarm.  

Same here.

I thought it was just our bad luck, but it’s typically after visiting Malaga, so the timing never works out! 😥

And typically after a full meal and a few drinks, we have not set our alarm.

• Like 1