Zuiderdam does it have a Thermal Suite in the spa?

mattR

Every ship except the 2 R-class ships (Zaandam and Volendam) have a Thermal Suite. 
The 2 R-class ships have one to some extent, but they have hot tubs, and not the T-pool. They do have the heated loungers. 

Weekly, or cruise long, passes are the norm. If there is room, day passes can be purchased. 

52 minutes ago, Cruisin4now said:

Yes, we enjoyed the thermal spa on Zuiderdam just last week!  The sailing was at 100% capacity and weekly thermal spa passes sold well enough that they did not allow for any day passes.  Purchasing pre-cruise will save you ~$20. 

Ok cool didn't realize you could prepurchase them last time we were on a ship with one you had to hurry to the spa to get a pass on embarkation day.  What all was in the Thermal Suite on the Zuiderdam?  

We were on the Zuiderdam in July, on the 20 day Viking crossing. We purchased the whole cruise pass on the very first day and were a bit disappointed at the end. We love thermal suits in general, I specifically love sauna/s. It was ok on Zuiderdam overall for us but I guess it really depends on what you like. Thermal suite is broken down into 2 areas: one with heated loungers, 5-6 of them, 1 sauna, 1 steam room + few showers (regular and fancy, like tropical) and the other area - hydra pool area, which has no natural light and for me it was a bit of a waste as I found that area too dark for my liking. As I mentioned earlier - I love saunas. Zuiderdam has a free one which I didn’t see mentioned in the reviews or maybe I didn’t notice. It’s right next to the indoor/outdoor pool and I did much prefer it to the one in the thermal suite. Reason was that TS sauna was either too hot or too cold with no option to regulate the heat, no stones to pour water over. View from the TS sauna was amazing but that’s about it. Showers in the 1st area of TS flooded the floor constantly, staff had to put towels all the time on it to keep water under control, I think there is a problem with floor level. And there is 0 music in the TS, zero. For me TS experience always has a nice relaxing music on the background. I asked at reception about it and apparently wiring went wrong at the last dry dock so no music. At the end of the day, the amenities Zuiderdam has for you for free are really great - free fab sauna, both pools, hot tubs, changing areas outside of the gym that both TS users and gym goers can use, and there is a lovely relaxation area just outside of the gym that not a lot of people seem to know about. Depending on your itinerary you might have a different experience. I loved the aft outdoor pool a lot, no matter the weather 🙂

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sweetsand said:

We were on the Zuiderdam in July, on the 20 day Viking crossing. We purchased the whole cruise pass on the very first day and were a bit disappointed at the end. We love thermal suits in general, I specifically love sauna/s. It was ok on Zuiderdam overall for us but I guess it really depends on what you like. Thermal suite is broken down into 2 areas: one with heated loungers, 5-6 of them, 1 sauna, 1 steam room + few showers (regular and fancy, like tropical) and the other area - hydra pool area, which has no natural light and for me it was a bit of a waste as I found that area too dark for my liking. As I mentioned earlier - I love saunas. Zuiderdam has a free one which I didn’t see mentioned in the reviews or maybe I didn’t notice. It’s right next to the indoor/outdoor pool and I did much prefer it to the one in the thermal suite. Reason was that TS sauna was either too hot or too cold with no option to regulate the heat, no stones to pour water over. View from the TS sauna was amazing but that’s about it. Showers in the 1st area of TS flooded the floor constantly, staff had to put towels all the time on it to keep water under control, I think there is a problem with floor level. And there is 0 music in the TS, zero. For me TS experience always has a nice relaxing music on the background. I asked at reception about it and apparently wiring went wrong at the last dry dock so no music. At the end of the day, the amenities Zuiderdam has for you for free are really great - free fab sauna, both pools, hot tubs, changing areas outside of the gym that both TS users and gym goers can use, and there is a lovely relaxation area just outside of the gym that not a lot of people seem to know about. Depending on your itinerary you might have a different experience. I loved the aft outdoor pool a lot, no matter the weather 🙂

Did the showers have different scents?  Was there a nice view from the heated tile loungers?

My wife and I have always used the Thermal Suite (couples pass).  It is a nice place to relax away from the crowds and noise.  I am very disappointed however that HAL has started to assess 18% gratuity for weekly TS.

I don't see how they can charge this since there is no personal service involved like a manicure or massage.

2 hours ago, 2LoveBikes said:

I am very disappointed however that HAL has started to assess 18% gratuity for weekly TS.

I don't see how they can charge this since there is no personal service involved like a manicure or massage.

Maybe it goes to the people who clean it? Wash the towels and robes? Similar to cabin steward and other laundry duties.

This gratuity is fairly new.

I would think the $149 ea/ pp for 7 days would cover that cost.  Gratuity should cover personalize services only.

I'm in a Carnivals Cloud 9 thermal suite right now and there is no gratuity charge..

Edited by 2LoveBikes
Due Typo on 1st draft
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:54 AM, mattR said:

Did the showers have different scents?  Was there a nice view from the heated tile loungers?

There was one cool must type of shower with scents.  The others were just showers.  The tile loungers look out windows.  The thermal pool has shades that keep the main pool and people headed to elevators from looking in.  One day it was too hot to use.  Next day they had been repaired.  

On 9/8/2023 at 10:06 AM, 2LoveBikes said:

I am very disappointed however that HAL has started to assess 18% gratuity for weekly TS.

When is that gratuity charged? I bought a pass this week for my cruise in December and was charged only $149.

Wife told me it is charged on the ships statement but there HAL has a policy that the 18% gratuity will be applied.  

In addition, an 18% service charge is automatically applied to all beverage purchases, bar retail items, specialty restaurant cover charges, all for-purchase a la carte menu items, and all Spa & Salon services 1. Local sales taxes are applied where required 

I was on the Zuiderdam cruise two weeks ago. I just looked at my statement and confirm no service charges were added to my two $149 pre-paid spa passes.  Has anyone been on the ship with a different experience?

I overheard the spa manager tell guests a day pass was $49 however they were not offering them because they had sold so many weekly passes.  Perhaps if you are on the fence and your cruise is full, get the pass ahead of time and cancel it later!  

Also to note, folks paying the $168 on board for passes received a choice of two scented sugar scrubs. I did not and am ok with it given the savings.

Edited by Cruisin4now
Extra info

We've never been charged a service charge when we have bought the thermal spa visit pass....(either online prior or onboard embarkation)...Me thinks the 18% service is just for "spa services" (massages, haircuts, facials, etc.) but not "thermal spa" access.

(I'm comfortable being corrected if that has changed recently.....last spa pass was bought by us in 2022)