Disembarkation in Trieste - transportation to Venice hotel

Coffeeluvr05

13 hours ago, benel204 said:

I'm curious about your thoughts re staying near San Basilio?

The hotel we are looking at (Palazzo Veneziano) is in Dorsoduro area, fairly close to the sites in Venice and still quiet.  The taxi will go directly (within 5 min walk) of the hotel, and no bridges.

No specific thoughts to share. 

It's not an area I'd be interested in staying so I haven't looked into it.

Looks like a nice hotel. (maybe 1 bridge to cross.)   Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Don’t mean to butt in, but we are looking at taking the flexi bus from Venice to Trieste.  There are 2 different pick up points to choose from.  One is Venice Mestre(stuzione) and the other is Tronchetto.  Which would be easier to get to from a hotel near st. Marks square.

9 minutes ago, momphoto said:

Don’t mean to butt in, but we are looking at taking the flexi bus from Venice to Trieste.  There are 2 different pick up points to choose from.  One is Venice Mestre(stuzione) and the other is Tronchetto.  Which would be easier to get to from a hotel near st. Marks square.

With luggage, I would suggest the Vaporetto or private water taxi to the Train Station.

Alan

1 hour ago, momphoto said:

Can you easily manage your luggage?

The train would be an easier option ....hop on a vaporetto and disembark at the stop right outside the Venice S Lucia station.

As for the bus terminals; Mestre is on the mainland across from Venice.  

Tronchetto is a huge parking lot at the edge of Venice, near Piazzale Roma.  The #2 vaporetto from St Marks will stop at Tronchetto. The bus will be near the People Mover stop (monorail)

mappa_delle_linee (avmspa.it)

Either of those locations not at at all convenient, especially from near St. Marks. Agree, train is very easy to Trieste. Get a vaporetto or water taxi to St. Lucia train station,

Venice to Trieste, where a porter will take your luggage into the terminal. $5 euro a bag. 

Edited by Mkdvmz

• 2 months later...

We would like to join transfer from tristie cruise port to venice on May 16th. We are three of us. Ncl viva. Anyone needs share pls email me tjongl@hotmail.com 

On 2/11/2024 at 8:47 PM, Mkdvmz said:

Either of those locations not at at all convenient, especially from near St. Marks. Agree, train is very easy to Trieste. Get a vaporetto or water taxi to St. Lucia train station,

Venice to Trieste, where a porter will take your luggage into the terminal. $5 euro a bag. 

Would you recommend train the opposite way too? Trieste to Venice. Haven’t decided where to stay yet in Venice. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, redmomof4 said:

Would you recommend train the opposite way too? Trieste to Venice. Haven’t decided where to stay yet in Venice. 

Can you easily manage your luggage?  And which schedule works best for you?

If you arrive to Venice by train, the Venice SLucia station is on the Grand Canal, just across the bridge from the Piazzale Roma.   PRoma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where you find transportation to the airport.  You can stay near the train station or PRoma for easy access to airport transportation and a vaporeto station for exploring Venice.

If you can't easily manage your luggage, the train might be the easiest option and chose a hotel within a few blocks.  'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Venezia Santa Lucia train station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

If you arrive to Venice by FlixBus, you disembark at Tronchetto, which is a huge parking lot at the edge of Venice. In Tronchetto you board the PeopleMover (monorail) to Piazzale Roma.  It's a 3 minute ride for under 2E.  Flix also drops off at the airport and Mestre so be mindful of which destination you chose.

Alos, keep in mind that the Trieste train and bus stations are within a block of each other and about a 15 minute walk from the cruise pier. Easy flat walk on a nice day, but a long wait for a taxi on a rainy day.

5 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Can you easily manage your luggage?  And which schedule works best for you?

If you arrive to Venice by train, the Venice SLucia station is on the Grand Canal, just across the bridge from the Piazzale Roma.   PRoma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where you find transportation to the airport.  You can stay near the train station or PRoma for easy access to airport transportation and a vaporeto station for exploring Venice.

If you can't easily manage your luggage, the train might be the easiest option and chose a hotel within a few blocks.  'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Venezia Santa Lucia train station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

If you arrive to Venice by FlixBus, you disembark at Tronchetto, which is a huge parking lot at the edge of Venice. In Tronchetto you board the PeopleMover (monorail) to Piazzale Roma.  It's a 3 minute ride for under 2E.  Flix also drops off at the airport and Mestre so be mindful of which destination you chose.

Alos, keep in mind that the Trieste train and bus stations are within a block of each other and about a 15 minute walk from the cruise pier. Easy flat walk on a nice day, but a long wait for a taxi on a rainy day.

Yes we can easily manage our luggage. Just went 1.3km both ways on old brick roads and sidewalks from the ferry on Isla Mujeres to our hotel without issues. What do you mean which schedule works for me? We cruise into Trieste. And need to arrange transport to Venice as we decided to stay there for an extra night and fly out of Venice the next afternoon 

15 hours ago, redmomof4 said:

What do you mean which schedule works for me? 

look at the train schedule and bus schedule for your specific travel day to determine which departure time works better for your plans.  I assume you want to get into Venice early enough to sightsee, but if the train doesn't leave until 10am would you prefer to take a bus leaving at 8am?  

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

look at the train schedule and bus schedule for your specific travel day to determine which departure time works better for your plans.  I assume you want to get into Venice early enough to sightsee, but if the train doesn't leave until 10am would you prefer to take a bus leaving at 8am?  

Thank you! That makes perfect sense! 🤦🏼‍♀️

I am trying to solve the same issue:  will be disembarking in Trieste from a cruise ship, then going to Centauro hotel  in Venice. Flying out of Venice the next day. Will handle luggage easily, so, walking is not a problem. Lookig for reccomedations for reasonably triced transportation options from Trieste  to Venice (Centauro) and from Venice (Centauro) to the Airport. Wouldn't mind to look into something scenic or something that includes a tour in Venice.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:05 AM, Mymzik said:

I am trying to solve the same issue:  will be disembarking in Trieste from a cruise ship, then going to Centauro hotel  in Venice. Flying out of Venice the next day. Will handle luggage easily, so, walking is not a problem. Lookig for reccomedations for reasonably triced transportation options from Trieste  to Venice (Centauro) and from Venice (Centauro) to the Airport. Wouldn't mind to look into something scenic or something that includes a tour in Venice.

To be honest you are probably going to be best going directly to Venice  - so much to see and you have only a short time there.  I looked at your hotel on Google maps.  Looks like your easiest bet would be to get off the train and get a water bus ( vaporetto) to the Rialto stop and it is a short walk away.  You will enjoy the canal journey if you are not jam packed.  It could be that if the bus gets you in that much earlier, then it is worth the extra step from the people mover.  

It might be nice to repeat the  route at night.  I did it at 8:30 am on a Sunday morning accompanied by a Rick Steves audio guide and it was great.  Rick also had a great guide for St Marks Square.  I sat in the shade and listened while taking it all in.  

if you want to go inside the Basilica and Doges palace I would book for first thing in the next morning.  Do you need a guide for Venice - no because you cannot get lost - but see photo for what did happen to me.  I had to walk back to the hotel with only half a sole.  IMG_9170.thumb.png.498bcdf018125cc231ca2002fa6a1b88.png

We'll also be arriving from a cruise in early July to the Trieste port. We have a flight out of Rome FCO 2 days after arriving in Trieste.

So I plan to go from Trieste to Venice, stay in Venice one night and then go to Rome, thinking by train. There are 4 of us with Luggage and one of us is a Senior. I've not booked a hotel or any transportation as of yet. Reading this forum but still a bit confused on the transport company from Trieste to Venice, which hotel is best, and then transport, train to Rome? We'll be spending one night in Rome to make sure we don't miss our flight the next morning. 

For transport companies, I saw: Treviso, Flixbus, Blacklane, Viator... Which would be best from Trieste port to Venice and what area in Venice to choose a hotel?  Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated. Does not have to be fancy but safety is #1 priority.

Should I stay close to the Venicia Santa Lucia Railway Station? Is this area safe? I read somewhere it may not be. I think this station is probably the one that has the train to head to Rome airport. Will I easily be able to go from this area and visit the tourist areas in Venice like St. Mark's Square? I know its a lot, but I"m sure not the only one arriving from a cruise and leaving out of the Rome airport. I tried to get a booking from Venice airport but not such luck. Thanks in advance!   

Can you easily manage your luggage?  That might determine whether your group should take a train, bus, cruiseline transfer, or private transfer.

If you're taking the train from Venice to Rome, staying near the Venice S Lucia train station would be the easiest option.  Venice is very safe; pickpockets would be the biggest concern just like in any other tourist city. 

If you're talking about THIS July, you're very late to be making hotel reservations.  This hotel listing will be helpful:

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Venezia Santa Lucia train station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

The Trieste train station is about a 15 minute walk from the cruise pier.  A flat easy walk on a nice day ( but a very long wait for a cab if it's raining)

The train to Rome will be at least 4 hrs.  Would you take a train from Venice to FCO? or to the city for some sightseeing then catch a taxi to the airport the next morning for your flight?

14 hours ago, Gabs300 said:

So I plan to go from Trieste to Venice, stay in Venice one night and then go to Rome, thinking by train. There are 4 of us with Luggage and one of us is a Senior. I've not booked a hotel or any transportation as of yet. Reading this forum but still a bit confused on the transport company from Trieste to Venice, which hotel is best, and then transport, train to Rome? We'll be spending one night in Rome to make sure we don't miss our flight the next morning. 

There's a lot to unpack here. Assuming from what you wrote there is no need to see anything in Rome proper-- just get to the airport with some cushion. It's going to be a very brief encounter with Venice. 

14 hours ago, Gabs300 said:

For transport companies, I saw: Treviso, Flixbus, Blacklane, Viator... Which would be best from Trieste port to Venice

These are all different things. Treviso is an airport where there is bus service to Venice. Flixbus is a bus company. Blacklane is a private chauffeur company with executive cars (will cost about $650 Euro for a van that would fit your group from Trieste to Venice). Viator is a tour company aggregator and would never book transportation through them. You didn't mention the train-- tickets are bookable through www.trenitalia.com, are very affordable, and go directly to Venice Santa Lucia in 2 hours. 

15 hours ago, Gabs300 said:

what area in Venice to choose a hotel?  Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated. Does not have to be fancy but safety is #1 priority.

Venice is very touristy and is overall very safe. There are no cars and the biggest issue is petty theft (think pickpockets in crowded areas). There are no areas in the main tourist spots where you will be unsafe if you just take the normal precautions of being in a major city. 

Hotels are going to run the gamut-- very basic all the way up to literal palaces for a couple thousand a night. What's your budget? Since your time there is so limited staying near the train station might not be a bad idea. If you do want to stay closer to the major sites you could splurge and stay somewhere with their own private dock and hire a water taxi. It just depends on how much you want to spend. 

Should I stay close to the Venicia Santa Lucia Railway Station? Is this area safe? I read somewhere it may not be.

It's perfectly safe-- it's just busy and a bit of a walk to the main sites. 

I think this station is probably the one that has the train to head to Rome airport. Will I easily be able to go from this area and visit the tourist areas in Venice like St. Mark's Square?

It is. Try and book the Frecciarossa from Venice Santa Lucia to Rome-- its the direct bullet train and it takes about 4 hours. 

Santa Lucia to St Marks Sq is about a 30-40 minute walk through meandering walkways and over small bridges. You can also take the Vaporetto or a water taxi (which there are plenty of at the station). 

16 hours ago, Gabs300 said:

We'll also be arriving from a cruise in early July to the Trieste port. We have a flight out of Rome FCO 2 days after arriving in Trieste.

For transport companies, I saw: Treviso, Flixbus, Blacklane, Viator... Which would be best from Trieste port to Venice and what area in Venice to choose a hotel?  Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated. Does not have to be fancy but safety is #1 priority.

Should I stay close to the Venicia Santa Lucia Railway Station? Is this area safe? I read somewhere it may not be. I think this station is probably the one that has the train to head to Rome airport. Will I easily be able to go from this area and visit the tourist areas in Venice like St. Mark's Square? I know its a lot, but I"m sure not the only one arriving from a cruise and leaving out of the Rome airport. I tried to get a booking from Venice airport but not such luck. Thanks in advance!   

You mentioned one person is a senior. Can that person walk to the Trieste Train Station? If not, you will need a taxi.

Have you traveled on European trains before? Are you physically able to lift your heavy luggage and place it in the storage rack above the seat, assuming it fits?

Venice is a wonderful city with LOTS to see. Staying just one night provides no opportunity to see everything. We were there 4 nights last year and still did not see everything.

Although staying near the Venice train station should be fine, I would NOT recommend staying near Termini (the Rome Train Station), unless you like lots of homeless people and prostitutes at night.

Alan

Thanks for both replies. 4 of us (myself, my mother & 2 teens) with 1 rolling luggage each and a carry-on. So it looks like after the cruise best way to get to Venice is by train-- tickets bookable through www.trenitalia.com, go directly to Venezia Santa Lucia in 2 hours, correct?

Yes, nothing to see in Rome, just heading there to the airport to take a flight at 10:00 am. So for this: Frecciarossa from Venezia Santa Lucia train station to Rome?--  bullet train and it takes about 4 hours. Which company is this, also trenitalia.com?  If so, I read somewhere to get reasonable rates to book 3 weeks in advance. Please let me know if that is the train company, so I can get the app or book in advance, as that is the part that worries me the most, so we don't miss our flight.

For the hotel to stay at in Venice, which I've not booked yet, I'm still not clear on where to look to stay. From your link, it looks like Piazzale Roma is the location closest to the Venezia Santa Lucia train station which is the station I'm coming into from Trieste and leaving out of to Rome FCO airport, correct? On the link you sent this one is recommended: NH Venezia Santa Lucia due to its location at the Venezia Santa Lucia train station. We will be able to get in from Trieste here and leave for Rome from this location? It's $500/night which is more than what I wanted to spend but if it means easy access to transport coming in and going out, I'll bite the bullet. It does say free cancellation. Hope 1 room for 4 of us is ok. My dream has always been to visit Venice and even if it's just 1 day, hope I can make it happen smoothly without missing my flight back from the Rome airport. Depending on the time of the train going to Rome, I may need to get another hotel close the the Rome FCO airport.   From reading many posts on the forum, I seem to be the only one left out of the Rome FCO airport from this cruise arriving into Trieste. I tried to get a flight from the Venice airport back to the US but no luck. Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Gabs300 said:

So for this: Frecciarossa from Venezia Santa Lucia train station to Rome?--  bullet train and it takes about 4 hours. Which company is this, also trenitalia.com?  If so, I read somewhere to get reasonable rates to book 3 weeks in advance. Please let me know if that is the train company, so I can get the app or book in advance, as that is the part that worries me the most, so we don't miss our flight.

Yes. TrenItalia is the nationalized train provider-- its like Amtrak in the US. There is also Italo which is another independent company and option but I'm trying to just to keep it simple for you. Trenitalia is very easy to book on their website and yes-- the further out you book the better. Fares can be VERY reasonable compared to what we pay for trains in the US. 

14 minutes ago, Gabs300 said:

From your link, it looks like Piazzale Roma is the location closest to the Venezia Santa Lucia train station which is the station I'm coming into from Trieste and leaving out of to Rome FCO airport, correct?

You really have two options-- you can stay by Santa Lucia and Piazzale Roma which will provide you with easy in and out for your arrival from Trieste and departure to Rome. You'll not have to walk your luggage very far. The downside is its either a water bus/taxi or 30 min walk to what you want to see. 

You can also stay closer to the main sites but you'll pay more (hotels near St Marks can be in the several hundreds to several thousands a night) and you'll most likely need to take a private water taxi (can be up to $100 a ride-- I think the last one we took from Gritti Palace near St Marks to Santa Lucia was around $65 one way) or you'll need to haul your bags into a Vaporetto which is essentially a bus on the water. 

Personally I would prefer to stay more centrally but there's a lot of cost and effort in that. 

18 minutes ago, Gabs300 said:

It's $500/night which is more than what I wanted to spend but if it means easy access to transport coming in and going out, I'll bite the bullet. It does say free cancellation. Hope 1 room for 4 of us is ok. My dream has always been to visit Venice and even if it's just 1 day, hope I can make it happen smoothly without missing my flight back from the Rome airport.

Venice is just plain crazy expensive. If you have the budget, if it is a dream destination, for one night I would just be prepared to spend a lot and do it right. Take the water taxi, spend more on the nice hotel, have the good meal. It's one night. 

20 minutes ago, Gabs300 said:

I tried to get a flight from the Venice airport back to the US but no luck.

Is this through the cruise line air? 

On 5/16/2024 at 2:52 PM, princeton123211 said:

Yes. TrenItalia is the nationalized train provider-- its like Amtrak in the US. There is also Italo which is another independent company and option but I'm trying to just to keep it simple for you. Trenitalia is very easy to book on their website and yes-- the further out you book the better. Fares can be VERY reasonable compared to what we pay for trains in the US. 

You really have two options-- you can stay by Santa Lucia and Piazzale Roma which will provide you with easy in and out for your arrival from Trieste and departure to Rome. You'll not have to walk your luggage very far. The downside is its either a water bus/taxi or 30 min walk to what you want to see. 

You can also stay closer to the main sites but you'll pay more (hotels near St Marks can be in the several hundreds to several thousands a night) and you'll most likely need to take a private water taxi (can be up to $100 a ride-- I think the last one we took from Gritti Palace near St Marks to Santa Lucia was around $65 one way) or you'll need to haul your bags into a Vaporetto which is essentially a bus on the water. 

Personally I would prefer to stay more centrally but there's a lot of cost and effort in that. 

Venice is just plain crazy expensive. If you have the budget, if it is a dream destination, for one night I would just be prepared to spend a lot and do it right. Take the water taxi, spend more on the nice hotel, have the good meal. It's one night. 

Is this through the cruise line air? 

I booked the flight with points I transferred from Chase to Virgin Atlantic. I just called them again to see if I could leave from VCE but no availability with points and to change it was not an option. The cruise arrives on 7/3 early am to Trieste and we are flying back 7/5 morning from FCO Rome. Originally I had it flying back 7/4 but was worried I would not have time to get to FCO and they let me change it a day later. For the hotel in Venice, I think I'll stay close to the Santa Lucia station. A 30-minute walk is not bad. My mom is a senior but she's a good shape. I just want the piece of mind of having the train station we need to get to and leave from close to the hotel. I'm also budget conscious so this will be best. Do you recommend Hotel Principe? It's 340 euro and next to the NH Venezia Santa Lucia which is recommended as its close to the train station. Or, if staying close to the main attraction areas there's a hotel: San Moise- Piscina St. Moise 2036 at 310 Euros. Just not sure how difficult it would be to get to and from the train station, but it seems to be close to the main attractions. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gabs300 said:

I booked the flight with points I transferred from Chase to Virgin Atlantic. I just called them again to see if I could leave from VCE but no availability with points and to change it was not an option. The cruise arrives on 7/3 early am to Trieste and we are flying back 7/5 morning from FCO Rome. Originally I had it flying back 7/4 but was worried I would not have time to get to FCO and they let me change it a day later. For the hotel in Venice, I think I'll stay close to the Santa Lucia station. A 30-minute walk is not bad. My mom is a senior but she's a good shape. I just want the piece of mind of having the train station we need to get to and leave from close to the hotel. I'm also budget conscious so this will be best. Do you recommend Hotel Principe? It's 340 euro and next to the NH Venezia Santa Lucia which is recommended as its close to the train station. Or, if staying close to the main attraction areas there's a hotel: San Moise- Piscina St. Moise 2036 at 310 Euros. Just not sure how difficult it would be to get to and from the train station, but it seems to be close to the main attractions. 

Hotel Principe might be the closest but its reviews on Trip Advisor are mediocre. Carnival Palace Hotel (https://www.venicecollection.com/carnival-palace/fr/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=business_listing&utm_content=link) gets MUCH better reviews but it's a one-half mile walk to the train station, including some bridges.

Alan

Hi again Alan, My head is spinning. Lol. There's an option to move our flights to leave 6 days after departing from FCO Rome airport. If we do this, we can stay longer in Venice, I'm thinking 3 nights. Would you recommend staying in any one of these? I'm not looking for fancy, just safe, clean, great location and reasonable. I'll have to decide by tomorrow if we are extending the dates. Would like to see if these reasonably priced hotels are a good option. 

Cannaregio - Venice Style Apartments

Hote Messner

Residenza La Campana

If we can stay longer at these reasonably priced hotels, it will not feel so rushed and we'll have time to see other cities on the way to the airport. Much appreciate your feedback. 

36 minutes ago, Gabs300 said:

Hi again Alan, My head is spinning. Lol. There's an option to move our flights to leave 6 days after departing from FCO Rome airport. If we do this, we can stay longer in Venice, I'm thinking 3 nights. Would you recommend staying in any one of these? I'm not looking for fancy, just safe, clean, great location and reasonable. I'll have to decide by tomorrow if we are extending the dates. Would like to see if these reasonably priced hotels are a good option. 

Cannaregio - Venice Style Apartments

Hote Messner

Residenza La Campana

If we can stay longer at these reasonably priced hotels, it will not feel so rushed and we'll have time to see other cities on the way to the airport. Much appreciate your feedback. 

I cannot recommend those places. I searched the hotels I know, from July 3 to July 6 (3 nights), and unfortunately, they are all booked solid. If you stay one night in Trieste, and then go to Venice, you might have better luck. I highly recommend Hotel Al Codega. It's easy walking distance to Saint Mark's Square, plus it's hidden on a side street (away from all the noise). Also, it includes a wonderful buffet breakfast. They offer both VERY small rooms to a large Junior Suite (My wife and I booked the Deluxe room last year and it was VERY nice). Here is its website: https://book.hotelalcodega.com

Alan

Thank you Alan for checking. Even on July 5 and 6th, they did not have for 4 people, maybe if I booked 2 rooms but that would have been too much. I made a tentative booking in Hotel Messner for 3 nights and see if I can figure out the rest. Any tours to do for the 4 of us you can recommend will be great. I'm thinking of renting a car when we leave and heading to Florence on our way to the FCO Rome airport as now we would have time. If I can make this work, I'll be changing our flights tomorrow.