Crew starting drydock work on a transatlantic

We are looking at a TA that is the final sailing before their drydock. I know the cruise line won't tell you about the plans, but has it been your experience that lots of work is started on the drydock renovation on the TA?  I recall all the carpeting being replaced on one and how the corridors smelled of heavy chemicals. Do you think it is more typical than not to start the renovations early?

Every drydocking is a separate project and each project is different based on the scope of work, schedule and what tasks are on the critical path.

With respect to the crew, they are continuously employed performing ship's maintenance and since it is unlikely they will bring additional crew for the TA, I wouldn't expect any increase in the work performed by the crew. However, they may bring owner's contractors onboard to commence refurbishment prior to the docking. Most of the deck covering refurbishment is completed by contractors.

In all my years at sea with numerous drydocks and managing a shipyard, yes, I have seen work start prior to the docking, but I have seen more instances where the work continued after the docking.

• Thanks 1

We have had the carpets replaced in some of  the hall areas on cruises that were  not close to a drydock

It is ongoing maintenance

But  yes I have read of some lines  starting to  do some  things before  the drydock  also  if the refurb was not done in the scheduled time  they can still be working  when the  cruise  starts again